SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 Followed Sports team in ND

Dagger

... is because schools like Wisconsin and Ohio State would like to distinguish their programs from those of other schools they feel are "inferior" to their own. This will mean refusing to travel schools like UND, Denver, ...

I sure hope they have a plan on how to fill out a schedule in a six-team BTHC if they don't plan on going on the road.

It looks like Lucia has that figured out...looks like they will hit the road or at least the roads nearby....

"We would still want to play a number of WCHA schools," Lucia said, preferably on a rotating schedule and starting with the other four state Division I teams -- Minnesota State Mankato, Minnesota Duluth, St. Cloud State and Bemidji State.

Would the Gophers play North Dakota? "Yes, we have some traditional rivals that would be good if we kept playing," Lucia said. "It would probably be more important to play the teams that are close by as opposed to maybe [Alaska] Anchorage or going out to Colorado since we will have to fly a lot more anyway."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/103185109.html?page=2&c=y

Five teams means 20 games with a home and away series at each conference mate. Also, nearly every team could do the same with Notre Dame if they don't include Notre Dame as an affiliate member initially. They'd also have an easy time getting home games as SCSU, UMD, Mankato, and Bemidji State would fall all over themselves to play a series at U of M each year with no return series. The Ohio and Michigan hockey schools would do the same with Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State as well. Any holes could be filled with series against Boston College and other Eastern hockey powers whose football teams have full FBS status. They'd even travel to play the Bowling Green's and Miami of Ohio's of the world before traveling to UND. In Division I sports, FBS football is such a distinguished brand that it dictates to a large extent the scheduling policies of the rest of the athletic department. College hockey fans will have to face the fact that power conferences call all of the shots in Division I athletics and college hockey will not be immune to this when a conference such as the Big Ten enters college hockey.

On the flip side, the vast majority of my coworkers in Minneapolis have no idea who or what NDSU or USD is. Couldn't find them on a map if their life depended on it. But they sure as hell know who the Fighting Sioux are. That also goes for when I lived in DC, Colorado, and Hawaii.... even when I was overseas, including Iraq. This awareness had absolutely nothing to do with the FB of BB programs... it was all about Hockey.

I think the original question was what is the #1 followed sports team in North Dakota. I think most of us (including us who are only mild hockey fans) can agree it's the Fighting Sioux hockey program. No question. Same with which team or program has the most visibility in the Upper Midwest and nationally (although I don't think too many people out West or down South know UND has a hockey team, but they do in "hockey country").

If the question moves to "what is the favorite sport in North Dakota?" that becomes trickier. I would guess both football and basketball trump hockey when you look at the entire state. Many more grow up playing those sports and cheering on their high school teams than they do hockey. And there's a reason why Minot State, Dickinson State, Mayville State, Valley State, Jamestown, Mary and NDSU all have football and basketball teams, but not hockey.

Just my opinion though, based on observations and anecdotes....no stats to back it up.

Five teams means 20 games with a home and away series at each conference mate. Also, nearly every team could do the same with Notre Dame if they don't include Notre Dame as an affiliate member initially. They'd also have an easy time getting home games as SCSU, UMD, Mankato, and Bemidji State would fall all over themselves to play a series at U of M each year with no return series. The Ohio and Michigan hockey schools would do the same with Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State as well. Any holes could be filled with series against Boston College and other Eastern hockey powers whose football teams have full FBS status. They'd even travel to play the Bowling Green's and Miami of Ohio's of the world before traveling to UND. In Division I sports, FBS football is such a distinguished brand that it dictates to a large extent the scheduling policies of the rest of the athletic department. College hockey fans will have to face the fact that power conferences call all of the shots in Division I athletics and college hockey will not be immune to this when a conference such as the Big Ten enters college hockey.

First of all, what does scheduling hockey teams with full FBS status have to do with the equation? Oh that's right nothing... If you think WI, U of M, Ohio State, ect..., would rather go to Bowling Green than come play at the Ralph? Wow! UND has at no point in time had any problems finding quality teams from outside the WCHA to come to play at the Ralph.

You underestimate what UND is to the landscape of college hockey year in and year out. BTHC or not...that isn't going to change.

Yes, you are correct that a lot of this will rest with how competitive the FB and BB teams are more so than their opponents. However, it looks as though MBB is already starting to turn a corner and it's likely that with the appropriate resources FB could soon turn a corner as well. It pains me to say this but NDSU and USD's victories over Minnesota drew more attention outside of the state than anything UND hockey has ever accomplished. Nearly all of my co-workers here in Minneapolis were talking about those games after they happend. It wasn't just Gopher fans or alumni but fans of Iowa, Notre Dame, and countless other universities. Tomorrow almost no one will be talking about this past weekend's hockey series.

Are you serious...have you seen either of these teams play this year. To me turning the corner doesn't mean going from awful to just plain bad.

So beating an absolutely piss poor Tim Brewster led Goph's FB team holds more water than winning a/multiple D1 nat'l championships?

People that I know talk about those game in a sense of how pathetic the U of M FB team was vs. anything special about USD or NDSU. NDSU beat Kansas this year...why? Kansas sucked. Most people see those game for what they really are...decent FCS teams beat horrible FBS teams.

I think the original question was what is the #1 followed sports team in North Dakota. I think most of us (including us who are only mild hockey fans) can agree it's the Fighting Sioux hockey program. No question. Same with which team or program has the most visibility in the Upper Midwest and nationally (although I don't think too many people out West or down South know UND has a hockey team, but they do in "hockey country").

Total attendance speaks volumes. UND hockey attendance is more than double NDSU football. Moreover, nearly every single person entering the Ralph pays $'s: even the students. That can't be said for other UND and NDSU sports, where tickets are free but they still don't bother to come.

Even in Minnesota, Gopher hockey attendance is almost on par with Gopher football.

If the question moves to "what is the favorite sport in North Dakota?" that becomes trickier. I would guess both football and basketball trump hockey when you look at the entire state. Many more grow up playing those sports and cheering on their high school teams than they do hockey. And there's a reason why Minot State, Dickinson State, Mayville State, Valley State, Jamestown, Mary and NDSU all have football and basketball teams, but not hockey.

The reason they don't have hockey is mainly because of history. The one other ND college that sponsors college: Dakota State College -Bottineau - actually does very well nationally at the JC level.

In the 1950's, hockey was only popular in Minnesota in a couple of places: Iron Range, Roseau/Warroad/Baudette/TRF, Duluth, and the blue collar sections of Minneapolis and St Paul. Now, a Minnesota community that doesn't have a hockey team is one that with few exceptions is in decline. Grand Forks, Grafton, and Devils Lake and Bottineau were really the only hockey playing towns in North Dakota, and HS hockey didn't start in ND until 1960. It wasn't until 1980 that hockey even spread to most of larger western towns.

The reason those schools don't have hockey now is because of it takes an organization with expertise and finances to get hockey going in a community. A community has to have enough people moving into it with hockey expertise to get hockey rolling with a Blue line club. That automatically disqualifies practically any ND town with less than 5000 people, because those towns are almost all dying. The recent exception is Hazen and Beulah, which proves the point: the presence of hockey is actually an indicator of economic vitality and community spirit.

With Minot's increasing wealth, watch for a Minot State program to happen.

You underestimate what UND is to the landscape of college hockey year in and year out. BTHC or not...that isn't going to change.

There are some interesting candidates out there that could conceivably start a college hockey team, as they could use additional programming for their own network:

Texas and ESPN close to agreement on a Longhorn Network

The main point being is that with Notre Dame, UND, and Denver potentially forming a new league, a number of schools that would have had no interest in the WCHA or CCHA may now see opportunities.

We all get it. You hate Sioux Hockey! Go away now!

All I'm saying is the future success of Sioux hockey will be entirely contingent on the success of the entire athletic department. We can continue to devote all of our resources into men's and women's hockey and have a few more successful seasons but eventually be passed over by teams from athletic departments that are more devoted to all of their sports offerings or we can start spreading the wealth to position each of the school's athletic teams to be at the highest level attainable.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the intent here was to compare Bison football verse Sioux hockey? I mean I'm a Bison fan but it's not even close. Let's be honest about it, Sioux hockey represents North Dakota more than anything else does. We have to remember that the Sioux are basically one level away from the bigs with many NHL draft picks on the team. Comparing that to NDSU football, who maybe will get a player or two drafted in the last rounds and some free agent looks with a whole level of college football in between them and the pros...A lot of times I don't think the people realize how lucky we are to have such good hockey in such a close area within easy driving abilities. The WCHA is top notch hockey and half of it is right in our backyard. And there are a LOAD of NDSU fans who crossover to Sioux hockey fans, that can't be disputed. Not too many Sioux fans cheering for NDSU football as they were in the playoffs, which is understandable. When the playoffs roll around, sports bars in Bismarck are loaded with Sioux hockey fans. It's really not even a discussion worth debating.

Comparing sports within the state of North Dakota in reading through the thread, I would suggest that wrestling is possibly even just as popular as hockey in this state, particularly in the central to western portions of the state. I'm a hockey guy, but have been to the state wrestling tournament and it is intense as heck.

• Upvote 1

Here's my take on the whole deal. I agree with the previous poster 100% because I am also an NDSU Football Fan that cannot state with a straight face that Bison Football is on par with Sioux Hockey.

I also grew up in the western side of the state, when hockey was on par with Croquet in terms of popularity. I understand this is not a "hockey state" but the reason why is because of exposure. We had no Sioux games on local TV. We had our fill of Bison-Sioux FB games, Bison playoff games, and High School Basketball. I remember watching UND on PBS or ESPN when they were playing for the National Title, and that's about it.

Fast forward to the present day. The FSSN has taken this program to the next level, IMO. Friday and Saturday nights during the winter is absolute primetime in North Dakota. With the tradition and the product and the fact that it is exposed to people statewide (especially youth), this has the potential to be huge when we're talking about the next generation.

Here's my take on the whole deal. I agree with the previous poster 100% because I am also an NDSU Football Fan that cannot state with a straight face that Bison Football is on par with Sioux Hockey.

I also grew up in the western side of the state, when hockey was on par with Croquet in terms of popularity. I understand this is not a "hockey state" but the reason why is because of exposure. We had no Sioux games on local TV. We had our fill of Bison-Sioux FB games, Bison playoff games, and High School Basketball. I remember watching UND on PBS or ESPN when they were playing for the National Title, and that's about it.

Fast forward to the present day. The FSSN has taken this program to the next level, IMO. Friday and Saturday nights during the winter is absolute primetime in North Dakota. With the tradition and the product and the fact that it is exposed to people statewide (especially youth), this has the potential to be huge when we're talking about the next generation.

I think you are exactly right on your assessment. FSSN was a fantastic idea which I'm sure was intended mainly for state-wide hockey exposure. Now, with present technology, it's exceeded that.

It's enabled Sioux hockey fans all over the country to see a bunch of games via satellite. I especially agree with the Friday/Saturday comment. Personally, I get to see a couple of games at the REA a year. The rest I catch on TV when they're available. It sure helps pass the winter. To go home to a nice warm basement with a big screen to watch Sioux hockey when it's 20 below is pretty sweet. In my small (2,000) ND community, there's way more Sioux hockey fans then there was 20 years ago. And, many of them are Bison FB fans.

I think you are exactly right on your assessment. FSSN was a fantastic idea which I'm sure was intended mainly for state-wide hockey exposure. Now, with present technology, it's exceeded that.

It's enabled Sioux hockey fans all over the country to see a bunch of games via satellite. I especially agree with the Friday/Saturday comment. Personally, I get to see a couple of games at the REA a year. The rest I catch on TV when they're available. It sure helps pass the winter. To go home to a nice warm basement with a big screen to watch Sioux hockey when it's 20 below is pretty sweet. In my small (2,000) ND community, there's way more Sioux hockey fans then there was 20 years ago. And, many of them are Bison FB fans.

• 4 months later...

If you look at our Big 10 neighbors to the East, one could argue that hockey is also the most "popular" sport at Minnesota. Definitely has the most passionate fan base there. No, they don't outdraw attendance at Gopher football games. But, with the apathy surrounding the Gopher football program & even basketball over the past years, I'd say Minnesota Men's Hockey has a much more loyal, passionate, dedicated fan base over any other sport on their campus.

As for ND, the Bisen fans will argue about their football attendance, etc. A decent opponent at the beginning of the season will get them 18-19,000 in the stands. However their attendance seems to drop as the season goes on. UND home hockey games always seem to be at or near capacity. But, it's tough to compare 18-20 home hockey games vs. 5-6 home football games a year, apples to oranges I guess. The state of ND could be considered a toss up. UND may have a slight edge in that it's the only hockey program to cheer for. But midwest region or nationwide, Sioux hockey has much larger following.

If you're talking history, tradition & success... Sioux hockey hands down. ;)

You can't use attendance as a basis for popularity. If you do than the Timberwolves are more popular than the Vikings because they out drew them. Of course they play 41 home games and the Vikings play 8. Of course nobody cares about the Wolves and the Vikings are more popular than anyone. Heck the Lynx drew 130,000 people last year with a bad team. Give them some home playoff games and a good season and suddenly they outdraw Sioux hockey... does that mean they are bigger than Sioux hockey? Obviously not.

Let's just say that Sioux hockey is very popular and leave it at that.