SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 Followed Sports team in ND

Dagger

Is it safe to say that UND Hockey is the #1 sports team in the state? I don't think any other team in the state has more people attend their games in a year than Sioux Hockey . I don't think it is even close.

Not too mention the amount of people who watch them and can watch them....this whole national broadcasts thing is pretty sweet. Eh?

Tough to quantify, but living in Fargo I'll tell you this...I know lots of SU Bison fans that follow and are fans of UND hockey. Tell me one UND grad/supporter that is a fan of any SU athletic team?

From a fan following, NDSU FB has a big statewide fan base. UND hockey has a big statewide fan base as well. The difference IMO is that UND hockey nationwide fan support is greater than NDSU FB.

Is it safe to say that UND Hockey is the #1 sports team in the state? I don't think any other team in the state has more people attend their games in a year than Sioux Hockey . I don't think it is even close.

I would say that's a pretty safe bet, I see a lot of Sioux hockey clothing even out here in Montana, in fact we were in Vegas last month and I saw a couple people wearing Sioux shirts walking the Strip, which was pretty cool.

Kind of unusual for a college hockey team to be the most followed, but when you look at it ND has no pro teams and they are the college team that has had the greatest run of success and national exposure the last 20 years or so. When I was growing up Bison football was the big powerhouse in ND but now I'd have to say that Sioux hockey has overtaken that too, after all there's no better fan recruitment tool than winning, and nobody has put a better product on the court/field/rink the last 20 years than UND hockey (despite the recent Frozen 4 Title dry spell).

Kind of unusual for a college hockey team to be the most followed

If you look at our Big 10 neighbors to the East, one could argue that hockey is also the most "popular" sport at Minnesota. Definitely has the most passionate fan base there. No, they don't outdraw attendance at Gopher football games. But, with the apathy surrounding the Gopher football program & even basketball over the past years, I'd say Minnesota Men's Hockey has a much more loyal, passionate, dedicated fan base over any other sport on their campus.

As for ND, the Bisen fans will argue about their football attendance, etc. A decent opponent at the beginning of the season will get them 18-19,000 in the stands. However their attendance seems to drop as the season goes on. UND home hockey games always seem to be at or near capacity. But, it's tough to compare 18-20 home hockey games vs. 5-6 home football games a year, apples to oranges I guess. The state of ND could be considered a toss up. UND may have a slight edge in that it's the only hockey program to cheer for. But midwest region or nationwide, Sioux hockey has much larger following.

If you're talking history, tradition & success... Sioux hockey hands down. ;)

• 1 month later...

Tough to quantify, but living in Fargo I'll tell you this...I know lots of SU Bison fans that follow and are fans of UND hockey. Tell me one UND grad/supporter that is a fan of any SU athletic team?

From a fan following, NDSU FB has a big statewide fan base. UND hockey has a big statewide fan base as well. The difference IMO is that UND hockey nationwide fan support is greater than NDSU FB.

That is very well said.

Jodcon touched on this as well, but the fact that we don't have pro sports opens it up to college athletics to be the most followed within a state. Most often in states that dont have a major professional franchise, major college football becomes the focus of most of the attention (Alabama Crimson Tide, Oklahoma Sooners, West Virginia Mountaineers). Some turn to basketball (Vermont Catamounts, UNLV Running Rebels, UConn Huskies). I think the only other state that may be most boastful about their hockey team may be Maine about those darn Black Bears.

From a fan following, NDSU FB has a big statewide fan base.

How much larger is NDSU's statewide football, or non-hockey fan base than ours? Or is it just because they've had more success at football (particularly lately)? Maybe I don't have a pulse on all the communities in our state, but outside of Fargo I don't get the sense NDSU is that much more popular that UND. Am I out of it?

How much larger is NDSU's statewide football, or non-hockey fan base than ours? Or is it just because they've had more success at football (particularly lately)? Maybe I don't have a pulse on all the communities in our state, but outside of Fargo I don't get the sense NDSU is that much more popular that UND. Am I out of it?

NDSU is a football school. UND is a hockey school. IMO those who follow college FB in this state have a bigger interest in NDSU FB than UND FB. Game attendence says something at well. Maybe it is SU's recent success or UND's lack thereof.

But again, UND hockey is still, by far IMO, the most followed college team sport in the state.

That probably depends on your definition of "followed". IMHO - UND hockey gets alot of casual fans who like the glitz and glimmer of the Ralph; It doesn't hurt to have the nicest rink in the world (I think the fans were more hardcore in the old REA). Not to mention, everybody likes a winner... Most of the hockey bystanders probably never played the game though and lack a deep understanding.

I think a fair question is: What is the most popular sport in the state: The answer is probably basketball, and it is probably a sport most people in the state played as youths, thus probably more follow a sport they understand. Needless to say the "B" is a pretty big deal.

Are you saying the most followed college sports team in ND is either UND or NDSU BB?? The same sport that got you into the Betty for $5 with a friday nite Sioux/Gopher ticket. Think they drew 2700 for the saturday matinee.

That probably depends on your definition of "followed". IMHO - UND hockey gets alot of casual fans who like the glitz and glimmer of the Ralph; It doesn't hurt to have the nicest rink in the world (I think the fans were more hardcore in the old REA). Not to mention, everybody likes a winner... Most of the hockey bystanders probably never played the game though and lack a deep understanding.

I think a fair question is: What is the most popular sport in the state: The answer is probably basketball, and it is probably a sport most people in the state played as youths, thus probably more follow a sport they understand. Needless to say the "B" is a pretty big deal.

:huh: What does that question have to do with this conversation/discussion? Aren't we talking about a team...not a sport?

From a statewide argument, the "following"...hardcore to casual...of UND hockey trumps any other team following IMO.

To me, it's just this simple...NDSU FB hosts it's 1st playoff game in 20 years and the same weekend UND hockey has a non-conference series. It's Thanksgiving weekend so BOTH school's students are gone. UND hockey draws as many fans BOTH nights as does the playoff game at the Dome.

The true test of whether hockey's reign as the premier collegiate sport at both UND and in the state at-large will come in the next five years after the BTHC is created. It's a very real possibility that you could see seasons in the future where both UND football and basketball have games at Wisconsin or Minnesota and hockey does not. I also predict that once the BTHC goes into effect you will never see another game against Wisconsin or Minnesota played in the REA. The hockey team will have to travel to those schools if they want to play them at all.

I think interest in Sioux hockey will diminish in comparison to others sports with a schedule full of the MInnesota Division II schools while the other sports are playing games against schools like Montana, USD, and NDSU.

• Upvote 1

The true test of whether hockey's reign as the premier collegiate sport at both UND and in the state at-large will come in the next five years after the BTHC is created. It's a very real possibility that you could see seasons in the future where both UND football and basketball have games at Wisconsin or Minnesota and hockey does not. I also predict that once the BTHC goes into effect you will never see another game against Wisconsin or Minnesota played in the REA. The hockey team will have to travel to those schools if they want to play them at all.

I think interest in Sioux hockey will diminish in comparison to others sports with a schedule full of the MInnesota Division II schools while the other sports are playing games against schools like Montana, USD, and NDSU.

Wishful thinking. If a BTHC ever happens, each school will need to schedule 20+ non-conference games each season to be competitive with the other conferences. At least half of those games,or 10+ series/weekends, will be on the road. Wisconsin and Minnesota will continue to play a packed WCHA schedule. If you want to beat the best, you have to play the best. Personally, I welcome Notre Dame and Miami into a Hockey Super Conference.

I also predict that once the BTHC goes into effect you will never see another game against Wisconsin or Minnesota played in the REA.

And your scenario would be terrible for all teams involved, including Minnesota and Wisconsin. The largest attendances in all three rinks involve UND, UM, and UW.

You don't build something up by tearing something else down. UND FB and BB will build on their own. There's no need to speculate on (or even sound like you'd relish) a possible demise of the WCHA.

UND will continue to be a hockey school, regardless of the BTHC...if it happens. The rivalries between UM and WI will not go away and I highly doubt that UND would not get either of those schools to come to the REA for games even if a BTHC exists. If UND continues to compete for a NC year in and out, interest will always by high.

To the point that hockey interest will diminish because UND FB and BB might play Montana, USD, NDSU, UM or WI is almost laughable. The FB and BB teams need to put a decent product on the field/court to attract interest...playing a "big time" program and getting it handed to you doesn't and won't peak anyone's interest.

Yeah I agree the Ralph with more seating and the comfort of it, makes it THE place to be on a Friday and Saturday night in GF. Yes the atmosphere is far different than the old Ralph. But the most popular sport in the state is not basketball. By far its hockey or football. I'd like to see the attendance at state tourney's or typical games to compare. By far hockey is a more followed sport than basketball in ND. Especially on the East side of the state.

I think the opposite is true. Some stats guru (Sica?) will have to help me out.

I would assume basketball attendance at ND HS state tourney's dwarfs hockey. I wish more would turn out for state HS hockey games, especially the first round, but it just isn't the case. The Ralph is typically a ghost town unless it's RR vs. Central or Grafton vs. anybody. Take last years state hockey tourney for example, the semi finals were 1 east team and 3 west... pretty poorly attended games.

When the State B is in Bismarck it probably gets 10-12K more than the hockey tournament draws. The Super A might be closer. Basketball is probably the number one high school sport in ND, followed by football.

I'd say football is number one though, it is popular on all levels in ND(high school, college, and pro(lots of Vikings/Packer fans).

When the State B is in Bismarck it probably gets 10-12K more than the hockey tournament draws. The Super A might be closer. Basketball is probably the number one high school sport in ND, followed by football.

I'd say football is number one though, it is popular on all levels in ND(high school, college, and pro(lots of Vikings/Packer fans).

Agreed. But we need to remember that there are 4 football classes and 1 Hockey class. It includes many communities that don't even have indoor ice.

I think as a whole UND hockey is the most followed program in the state. It is the most available near and far with the TV deals. NDSU FB doesn't even get the 6 home games a year televised locally. I live in Fargo but I attend every home hockey game. I would guess on the average traffic to and from I am part of thousands that do. I will occasionally go to a bison football game but I admit last year in the 3-10 year I didn't follow the games or story lines. As a casual fan I could care less about BB. I am more likely to follow the water polo team.

I agreed with the earlier post. I follow successful teams and I will cheer for what is good for ND. I cheered for the Bison in WA, I cheered for the Sioux in AL in the early 2000's.

Yeah I agree the Ralph with more seating and the comfort of it, makes it THE place to be on a Friday and Saturday night in GF. Yes the atmosphere is far different than the old Ralph. But the most popular sport in the state is not basketball. By far its hockey or football. I'd like to see the attendance at state tourney's or typical games to compare. By far hockey is a more followed sport than basketball in ND. Especially on the East side of the state.

I would disagree with this statement as well. Outside of GF, hockey is definitely not the most followed sport. Attendance wise, I would say basketball (by a long shot...no pun intended :) ), followed by football, and then hockey.

UND will continue to be a hockey school, regardless of the BTHC...if it happens. The rivalries between UM and WI will not go away and I highly doubt that UND would not get either of those schools to come to the REA for games even if a BTHC exists. If UND continues to compete for a NC year in and out, interest will always by high.

To the point that hockey interest will diminish because UND FB and BB might play Montana, USD, NDSU, UM or WI is almost laughable. The FB and BB teams need to put a decent product on the field/court to attract interest...playing a "big time" program and getting it handed to you doesn't and won't peak anyone's interest.

Yes, you are correct that a lot of this will rest with how competitive the FB and BB teams are more so than their opponents. However, it looks as though MBB is already starting to turn a corner and it's likely that with the appropriate resources FB could soon turn a corner as well.

It pains me to say this but NDSU and USD's victories over Minnesota drew more attention outside of the state than anything UND hockey has ever accomplished. Nearly all of my co-workers here in Minneapolis were talking about those games after they happend. It wasn't just Gopher fans or alumni but fans of Iowa, Notre Dame, and countless other universities. Tomorrow almost no one will be talking about this past weekend's hockey series.

Games with UM and WI will almost certainly go away once the BTHC comes into effect. The sole reason the Big Ten schools are even considering it is because schools like Wisconsin and Ohio State would like to distinguish their programs from those of other schools they feel are "inferior" to their own. This will mean refusing to travel schools like UND, Denver, and SCSU. They know they are the marquee names of college hockey and schools will line up to play in their buildings. They know UND will be no different.