SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fan

Profile question: What does "Reputation" and the numbers under it mean on the Profile page?

FYI - I live in the East and it appears that the time is still five hours ahead.

That is because you live in the wrong part of Florida. ;)

It may be incorrect in your profile. If you look on the settings tab of your profile, there is a place to change the time zone. If that doesn't work you may to ask "Nick Burns, your computer guy"or Jim. :D

Profile question: What does "Reputation" and the numbers under it mean on the Profile page?

FYI - I live in the East and it appears that the time is still five hours ahead.

Note in the bottom right corner of posts there is a green + and red -; doesn't get used much except when there is a post that many don't like, then you may get lots of minuses. I think you'll find most everyone near "0"

• Upvote 4

Note in the bottom right corner of posts there is a green + and red -; doesn't get used much except when there is a post that many don't like, then you may get lots of minuses. I think you'll find most everyone near "0"

There's already one subtle way to use it -- at the bottom of a thread view is a bar that says something like "Viewing all posts -- change threshold?". If you click that, you can actually make it so you don't see, for example, any posts with a negative rep. That's a slightly more effective way of not seeing any junk than "hiding" individual posters who you don't like, in that it's post specific. That's how Slashdot, the granddaddy of user-moderated boards, works. That benefit increases the more it gets used, which is why....

I'm also working on leveraging it to show the highest rated current posts in a side panel. I think that will provide an additional incentive to use it, and help the cream of the board rise to the top for infrequent visitors.

I've never personally loved traditional rep systems that just let people tag the posters they like the most, because it often just results in the biggest posters who tow the party line having very high reps (correlated with post count) and those who ever disagree with them have poor reps -- I just don't think that conveys much useful. Additional thoughts about ways people would like to see rep incorporated are certainly always welcome, though...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Slight change in the system.... giving rep is now limited to 1 per day.

That makes it a little scarcer and something that should be given away a little more carefully, and also prevents massive rep-bombing.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 months later...

Can you make it so you can't rep your own post? Kinda odd when a thread is a started (so it only has one post) but it has a +1. Sure enough, clicking on the rep shows that the OP repped his own post.

But what if you realize you said something idiotic and want to neg rep yourself lol.

Nope. The current system is very limited or, frankly, I'd change a lot of things. However, I'm not sure being able to rep your own post is necessarily so bad. If the rep you can give is limited and it has a limited effect on the rep of who you give it to, then spending it to draw attention to a post of yours you think deserves it can sometimes make sense.

However, there's not much to debate at this point, as I said I can't change much. Basically, I can turn it off/on and limit the rep each person has to give per day. I know a few improvements are coming in the next version, and maybe someday I'll find the time to make some improvements of my own.

Nope. The current system is very limited or, frankly, I'd change a lot of things. However, I'm not sure being able to rep your own post is necessarily so bad. If the rep you can give is limited and it has a limited effect on the rep of who you give it to, then spending it to draw attention to a post of yours you think deserves it can sometimes make sense.

However, there's not much to debate at this point, as I said I can't change much. Basically, I can turn it off/on and limit the rep each person has to give per day. I know a few improvements are coming in the next version, and maybe someday I'll find the time to make some improvements of my own.

I am not sure I see the point, I think positive and negatives are great on the Intensedebate system but on this one the same person can keep using a negative rep each and every day. The same person will eventually knock you're ranking down... I think a person should be able to give 10 positive and 10 Negative every day to respond to these types of situations.

However, I'm not sure being able to rep your own post is necessarily so bad. If the rep you can give is limited and it has a limited effect on the rep of who you give it to, then spending it to draw attention to a post of yours you think deserves it can sometimes make sense.

I can't agree with that Jim, you should never be able to positive rep yourself unless it is to equal out someone who has it in for you, like Goon said. I don't think it is a big problem on here but there is one guy who has positive repped himself at least 70 times and has the best reputation by far for no reason. People like Goon, The Sicatoka, Blackheart, and iramurphy to name a few have earned their reputation with either their wit or insight (or both), and deserve to be recognized as the leaders of this site, not someone who posts "i like hocky it si fun" and then gives himself a +1.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

the same person can keep using a negative rep each and every day. The same person will eventually knock you're ranking down... I think a person should be able to give 10 positive and 10 Negative every day to respond to these types of situations.

But then they'd just be able to give you -10 per day, too. The flaw isn't the amount of rep you can give, it's the way personal rep is tallied.

This system was pretty clearly designed for the reputation to be for the post itself (so, for example, you could set your viewing thresholds not to see posts with a negative rep, like Slashdot comments), but it additionally use that post reputation to tally rep for each person.

That's a problem, as I'll elaborate on a little bit more...

I can't agree with that Jim, you should never be able to positive rep yourself unless it is to equal out someone who has it in for you, like Goon said. I don't think it is a big problem on here but there is one guy who has positive repped himself at least 70 times and has the best reputation by far for no reason. People like Goon, The Sicatoka, Blackheart, and iramurphy to name a few have earned their reputation with either their wit or insight (or both), and deserve to be recognized as the leaders of this site, not someone who posts "i like hocky it si fun" and then gives himself a +1.

This gets to the heart of it. I was commenting on a post's reputation, whereas you're talking about a person's reputation.

I agree that a person moving themself in the way you describe is undesirable, but I haven't noticed it to be a big problem. I can turn off the ability to rep one's own posts... that will fix the problem of someone pumping up themself, but not the bigger problem of someone being willing to burn all their rep opportunities on a vendetta.

I think the biggest problem with the current system is that a person's rep is the sum of the rep of all of their posts. The fix for that is easy -- each person should have a limited amount of influence over another person's rep. Without such a limit, any rep system is clearly open to abuse, making it easy for people to pump up their friends and exercise vendettas.

making it easy for people to pump up their friends and exercise vendettas.

That's happening as well right now. I think another good idea would be if you give someone a negative rep you should be able to give them one for a while.... I really don't like this new system at all.

PSB and I, either one or the other of us, get negative reped daily by one particular poster. He rarely posts anything now, just gives a negative rep/day to one of us. I quit looking, the whole rep thing has become a joke. He was the original poster when reps were unlimited that gave himself 100s of + over one day, with multiple identities coming from the same IP, then gave us 100s of - reps at the same time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

PSB and I, either one or the other of us, get negative reped daily by one particular poster. He rarely posts anything now, just gives a negative rep/day to one of us. I quit looking, the whole rep thing has become a joke. He was the original poster when reps were unlimited that gave himself 100s of + over one day, with multiple identities coming from the same IP, then gave us 100s of - reps at the same time.

Yep, that's exactly what led to limiting it to one per day. When that started happening, the choices were try to contain the damage or shut the whole thing down. I think there's still a lot of value from seeing which posts get a lot of green or red while scanning a thread, so I thought containing the damage better than losing that functionality. You, for example, are pretty close to even (which is certainly lower than you deserve, but not particularly damaging; I'll probably reset them all when we get a better system in place, anyway).

Here are two more things (in addition to stopping self-rep) that I could do immediately (without further improvements to the underlying system):

* Only allow positive rep. This would really contain the vendetta problem, but we'd also lose the big red warning on bad posts that I think is one of the biggest benefits of the system.

* Only display post rep, not user rep. This one kind of tempts me. As I've said above, the current system is really better geared toward highlighting good/bad posts, so I could just hide the user rep totals and eliminate most of the vendetta incentive.

• 2 weeks later...

* Only display post rep, not user rep. This one kind of tempts me. As I've said above, the current system is really better geared toward highlighting good/bad posts, so I could just hide the user rep totals and eliminate most of the vendetta incentive.

Jim that is an awesome idea...