SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Broadcasting Agreements

bincitysioux

The only concern I really had about the move to the Big Sky was how their media agreements would affect what we already have in place, as I was I under the impression that in DI, it was the conferences that did the negotiating for the most part. However after doing a little digging that doesn't really appear to be the case, at least at our level.

Northern Arizona basically has what we have with the FSSN..............actually it is more like what BYU has with BYU-TV. They have NAU TV which airs on Dish Network.

As far as the actual distribution of BSC athletics, the following is from the Big Sky's website:

OGDEN, UTAH (August 13, 2010) - The Big Sky Conference once again announced the largest television package of a Football Championship Subdivision Conference on Friday, a lineup that includes 24 of the 36 conference games.

In all, almost 40 regular-season games featuring Big Sky Conference teams will be televised in 2010.

Now, that sounds great, but you have to remember that about half of those games are referring to the fact that all Montana & Montana St. games (except when they play at an FBS) are aired on local television in the state of Montana. Also a local station broadcasts most of Eastern Washington home games.

But beyond those locally covered games, "national" distribution this season would include 5 games on NAU TV, 5 games on Altitude, and 11 games total were either picked up by or simulcast from Altitude on regional Fox Sports and Comcast Sports channels.

Men's basketball does really well for national coverage, mostly because of Northern Arizona. Similar to our arrangement with FSSN & FCS, either Fox College Sports or Fox Sports Arizona picks up all the games that are already being broadcast on NAU TV on Dish Network. This year, that is 10 NAU home games.

Altitude will broadcast 8 Big Sky "games of the week" as well as the conference tournament semi-finals.

Fox Sports Rocky Montain & Fox Sports Northwest will air 4 live games this season.

And of course the Big Sky Championship is on ESPN.

Fox College Sports will pick up all 10 of the women's home basketball games that are airing on NAU TV. The Big Sky Championship will be on Altitude.

Now considering NAU's TV package, it is easy for me to see that as star2city has said on many occaisons, our own TV capabilities probably were not an insignificant factor when the BSC decided to extend North Dakota an invitation. If we continue a similar arrangement, we'll likely add 3 or 4 football games and anywhere from 10-15 M/W basketball games to the national schedule for the Big Sky.

For increasing our own exposure, at a minimum per season we'll likely gain at least 1 away MBB game and 1 away WBB game on FCS via NAU TV, 1 MBB on Altitude, 1 annual away FB game from the state of Montana on local FSSN, and then hit and miss with Altitude football games and other games that could get picked up by the Fox or Comcast networks here and there.

And of course ESPN will regularly being broadast from the Big Sky Men's Basketball Championship in The Betty starting in 2012. ;)

And since we're not in the same conference as NDSU, our hopefully soon-to-be annual men's & women's basketball games will always be aired on either FCS or teh state-wide microwaves :lol: . Keeping the rivalry going with USD will likely ensure TV games for basketball and football on Midco Cable at the very least.

At minimum, it looks like we stand to gain a minimum of 6 game broadcasts that we don't have scheduled now.

Additionally, the Big Sky's internet provider Big Sky TV airs all constests held in Big Sky venues for free.

All in all, I like it.

Just the media possibilities of the Big Sky made entrance into the Big Sky a no brainer in itself. That is just one huge positive in a list many positive reasons for the Big Sky. This conference move is going to prove to be one of the most significant steps this University has ever taken. I am very excited we are the only Dakota in on this venture. I just wish we didn't have to wait one more year to get it going.

I might add that the Big Sky TV webcast was pretty good. It's not like the old days of Sioux hockey webcasts with the constant buffering. I didn't have one issue with buffering for the Montana game. And if you hook your computer up to your TV by an HDMI cable, it's only a couple grades below the quality of an Fox College Sports telecast. Not great quality for TV standards, but watchable.

Also should be mentioned that with the eventual formation of a Pac 12 Television Network, the western-based Fox Sports and Comcast networks will surely be looking for more programming in the future. The FSSN and NAU TV will be in great positions to "feed" larger networks, and by cooincidence, both UND and NAU have aready established relationships with Fox.

The only concern I really had about the move to the Big Sky was how their media agreements would affect what we already have in place, as I was I under the impression that in DI, it was the conferences that did the negotiating for the most part. However after doing a little digging that doesn't really appear to be the case, at least at our level.

Northern Arizona basically has what we have with the FSSN..............actually it is more like what BYU has with BYU-TV. They have NAU TV which airs on Dish Network.

As far as the actual distribution of BSC athletics, the following is from the Big Sky's website:

Additionally, the Big Sky's internet provider Big Sky TV airs all constests held in Big Sky venues for free.

All in all, I like it.

Thanks for the info and great analysis!

As I was sitting on my couch (in Florida) watching the UND/VT women's BB game the other night, it really hit me how lucky we are to have such great coverage of UND sports. You get kind of used to being able to watch a lot of Sioux hockey games on TV but having FB, M&W BB and even a VB game available, is really cool!

A general question: does FSSN and the deal with Fox Sports cost us money each year or is it a money maker for the university? Obviously, the exposure is the primary benefit but I am curious about the $ aspect of it.

Also should be mentioned that with the eventual formation of a Pac 12 Television Network, the western-based Fox Sports and Comcast networks will surely be looking for more programming in the future. The FSSN and NAU TV will be in great positions to "feed" larger networks, and by cooincidence, both UND and NAU have aready established relationships with Fox.

Bin:

Some great posts. Couple of things I'd like to add:

Would be nice to get more coverage on Fox Sports North - especially with Minnesota games (hockey and BB) moving more and more to the BTN. Perhaps can work toward a simulcast on Fox Sports North / Arizona /Rocky Mountain / Northwest - depending on the teams.

Would like to see a couple of Ralph basketball games during the season if the scheduling allows:

UND vs NDSU every other year

UND vs USD or SDSU in a Christmas tournament with a couple of other local teams (when hockey teams are normally off)

UND vs Montana / Montana State weekend on a January weekend

For women's BB, bring in a couple of major conference teams (Minnesota, Iowa State) and play in either the Alerus or Ralph and televise on FSN.

The Big Sky tournament for both men and women are hosted by the regular season winner. The women's tournament would normally be the weekend of the first round of the WCHA playoffs, while the men's final would be the Wednesday night before that weekend. If it is believed that the teams will be possible hosts for that season, reserve the Alerus for those dates. With all the HS tournaments scheduled for GF during that time (regionals at the Betty and the State Class B boys scheduled for GF more than once), venues could be very busy that time of year.

A general question: does FSSN and the deal with Fox Sports cost us money each year or is it a money maker for the university? Obviously, the exposure is the primary benefit but I am curious about the $ aspect of it.

FCS cut the deal with the FSSN.....FCS is paying for those games from the FSSN so it is a money maker.

All FCS is doing is grabbing the feed from the FSSN

• Upvote 1

FCS cut the deal with the FSSN.....FCS is paying for those games from the FSSN so it is a money maker.

All FCS is doing is grabbing the feed from the FSSN

I've never seen the FCS feed. Do they sell their own commercials or just use FSSN's? (Home of Economy, Dahlstrom, etc.)

I've never seen the FCS feed. Do they sell their own commercials or just use FSSN's? (Home of Economy, Dahlstrom, etc.)

I watched part of a UND Football game on FCS the other day and they are their own commericals as far as I could tell. They are mostly the types of commericals you see late at night (ie. workout equipment and other junk for you to call in and buy).

I watched part of a UND Football game on FCS the other day and they are their own commericals as far as I could tell. They are mostly the types of commericals you see late at night (ie. workout equipment and other junk for you to call in and buy).

I have seen the Dahlstrom and Home of Economy commercials during their broadcasts. I have also seen promos for other FCS televised events so it appears to be a combination of both.