SiouxSports.com Forum

Lack of HD telecasts......

WYOBISONMAN

Why is it that when any sporting event from North Dakota (whether it is UND, NDSU) is broadcast on directv in SD and not HD? It is like HD has not even made it to ND for athletic events. My understanding is the difference is just in the cameras they use. I would think HD would be a real plus for hockey where you are trying to watch a puck, but alas......no HD in ND as of yet..... :huh:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Why is it that when any sporting event from North Dakota (whether it is UND, NDSU) is broadcast on directv in SD and not HD? It is like HD has not even made it to ND for athletic events. My understanding is the difference is just in the cameras they use. I would think HD would be a real plus for hockey where you are trying to watch a puck, but alas......no HD in ND as of yet..... :huh:

You'd need HD equipment doing the games, yes, but the satellite companies (directtv) also have limited bandwidth, and would have to offer the ND games in place of another HD broadcast. Not a likely scenario, yet.

• Upvote 1

in the case of North Dakota it would also cost more for satellite transponder space since an HD broadcast takes more bandwidth to beam up. Right now the FSSN is using 1/6th of a transponder. For HD they would need at least 1/2 of a transponder. Montana State is using 1/2 a transponder for the HD broadcasts.

so we're back to the same argument of "why doesnt the FSSN carry more road series?"....easy...money

Heck does WDAZ broadcast their news in HD?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You'd need HD equipment doing the games, yes, but the satellite companies (directtv) also have limited bandwidth, and would have to offer the ND games in place of another HD broadcast. Not a likely scenario, yet.

Directv would turn off another HD PPV feed if they wanted to. They do that on Sunday's for the NFL Sunday ticket

But the FCS feed they get is SD only so its a moot point

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Directv would turn off another HD PPV feed if they wanted to. They do that on Sunday's for the NFL Sunday ticket

The question is, why would they turn off a HD major college football broadcast, or a professional BB, football, or hockey game, in order to show the FSSN FCS telecasts in HD. Until there is more bandwidth, and the WDAZ gets HD equipment, it is not going to happen.

No local new/weather/sports broadcasts are delivered in HD in ND.

• Upvote 1

The question is, why would they turn off a HD major college football broadcast, or a professional BB, football, or hockey game, in order to show the FSSN FCS telecasts in HD. Until there is more bandwidth, and the WDAZ gets HD equipment, it is not going to happen.

they wouldnt turn off an existing broadcast. Directv has enough bandwidth for most of the games. When they need that 4 hour block they turn off a HD PPV channel Directv has like 15 of them) for that. But it goes back to the original point of FCS isnt in HD on Directv

No local new/weather/sports broadcasts are delivered in HD in ND.

oof not even in widescreen digital? Thats pretty bad if they dont do at least that

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree, I was watching the replay of the UND hockey game last Friday and the quality of the broadcast is not up to the par of the NHL center ice.

Even the BSU games in the Bemidji area are in HD.

• Downvote 1

they wouldnt turn off an existing broadcast. Directv has enough bandwidth for most of the games. When they need that 4 hour block they turn off a HD PPV channel Directv has like 15 of them) for that. But it goes back to the original point of FCS isnt in HD on Directv

Forgot about the PPV's; guess dish turns those off and on as necessary also, although dish doesn't carry FCS anyway.

• Upvote 1

Forgot about the PPV's; guess dish turns those off and on as necessary also, although dish doesn't carry FCS anyway.

actually they don't stop using the PPV

Dish takes all the HD content from some 25+ RSN's and handpicks 8 of them (thats the most HD they can use on one transponder) a night and those are the privileged ones who get their game in HD. The west coast folks also have the same issue. but worse. They alot of times get their games JIP'd (joined in progress). They have to wait until the "early" game is done and if it runs long then they're screwed. It varies daily but it sounds like FSN North gets screwed unless the game starts at 6:00PM. Since most home games are at 7:00 if there is a full slate Dish bypasses FSN North

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1