SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana Watch

star2city

Just to ensure the Trolls with the poor reading comprehension can see this:

Montana is staying in the Big Sky in part because UM wanted to compete with more mission-similar institutions. Engstrom said the recent addition of the University of North Dakota strengthened the Big Sky Conference in that regard.

What did you expect him to say - "We don't have the money or fan base to move up" Everyone knew that the Montana schools wanted the Dakota schools in the conference. I wonder what they think about SUU?

There's no reason for NDSU to go to the BSC even if they asked. Very happy where we're at.

Lets frame that quote and replay this in a couple years when NDSU is banging on the BSC door again. I looked at posts on AGS.com from 2005 and how they wanted out of the GWFC and into the BSC, and when they admitted UNC...OMG you would have thought the world was ending.

What did you expect him to say - "We don't have the money or fan base to move up" Everyone knew that the Montana schools wanted the Dakota schools in the conference. I wonder what they think about SUU?

The big print didn't help, as you're missing a very simple point. Montana used it's WAC leverage to affect change and get UND into the Big Sky, when it couldn't get the support before. If UND into the Big Sky hadn't happened, Montana could have been disgusted enough to go.

Lets frame that quote and replay this in a couple years when NDSU is banging on the BSC door again. I looked at posts on AGS.com from 2005 and how they wanted out of the GWFC and into the BSC, and when they admitted UNC...OMG you would have thought the world was ending.

They don't want to remember how anti-depression prescriptions skyrocketed then in Bisonville - the pharmaceutical business raked in a fortune all because the Big Sky chose UNC. That whole board has been manic-depressive ever since. :lol: Can't say they should be faulted for selective memory - just too painful.

But really, Montana staying is absolutely wonderful news for the Big Sky and UND and for that we should be thankful.

Now, if a miracle happens and the Fighting Sioux name is rescued by November 30th. That would be icing.

Anti-depression prescriptions skyrocketed then in Bisonville - the pharmaceutical business raked in a fortune all because the Big Sky chose UNC. That whole board has been manic-depressive ever since. :lol: This Montana news just started another depressive mood - even though their huge rivalry is supposedly this weekend. Maybe somebody should tell their students they should care.

They have gone moonbat nuts over there. It's quite entertaining! :lol::D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The big print didn't help, as you're missing a very simple point. Montana used it's WAC leverage to affect change and get UND into the Big Sky, when it couldn't get the support before. If UND into the Big Sky hadn't happened, Montana could have been disgusted enough to go.

I would have thought the omission of SUU in his statement made his feelings about as clear as he could reasonably be expected to publicly make them.

The subtleties certainly escape your noggin. The chances of ORU or UMKC going to the Sunbelt are higher than UALR going to the Summit. Both are slim to none.

Can that sink into a tiny bunny brain?

Just because UALR is talked about on a Bison or Jack board or Kolpack himself, somehow that makes a move plausible, but when UALR fans actually talk about something entirely different, that's insanity by your logic. UALR will stay where it is, or at most move to the Southland. UALR to the Summit is just a dream for Bison and Bunny fans under the incredible delusion that (a) UND will come begging back to the Summit and (b) be blocked from membership by UALR's acceptance. There is so much love and good will coming toward UND. If you weren't so concerned about us, you wouldn't be here.

BTW, you're the bunny fan that insists Montana is gone, the Sioux name is disrespectful, and UND is screwed in the Big Sky. What a pinheaded idiot. :lol:

Touched a nerve? Seems like it. I'm not the one who was stating that ORU and UMKC were "rumored" to be offered by the Sun Belt. You took a statement by a fan on a message board and posted it as something it was not. The reality, there is no rumor. As for UALR in the Summit. Could be could not be. Their AD started the discussion last year when he was quoted in an article (not a rumor on a message board) that UALR would be interested in Summit membership. I'll now remove myself from your world, a very strange one indeed. Feel free to continue pontificating oh one of such great knowledge.

IF, NDSU was to inquire about Big Sky, UND would likely do anything possible to assist in getting them in.

Bingo. I guarantee UND will do whatever it takes to help NDSU get into the Big Sky if they so choose. With two new Presidents who are moving forward it is a different relationship now. Great news for UND and the Big Sky. Go Sioux.

If Taylor has any brains in that thick head of his he calls Fullerton and asks "what will it take?" Taylor better act quick because with the WAC death a few years or days away the Big Sky with a committed Montana is gonna be the place to be for football in the west.

NDSU, Idaho, Utah State, and San Jose State better get Fullerton on speed dial.

Congrats on Montana choosing FCS instead of trying to be the next Idaho where they think they are better than everyone else for winning the eharmony.com bowl or whatever bowl they won.

I agree that Faison and Kelly would help NDSU get into the BSC because we have something that NDSU didn't seem to have with Chapman as president: class.

go soo

If Taylor has any brains in that thick head of his he calls Fullerton and asks "what will it take?" Taylor better act quick because with the WAC death a few years or days away the Big Sky with a committed Montana is gonna be the place to be for football in the west.

NDSU, Idaho, Utah State, and San Jose State better get Fullerton on speed dial.

Congrats on Montana choosing FCS instead of trying to be the next Idaho where they think they are better than everyone else for winning the eharmony.com bowl or whatever bowl they won.

I agree that Faison and Kelly would help NDSU get into the BSC because we have something that NDSU didn't seem to have with Chapman as president: class.

go soo

But Bison fans don't want to leave the MVFC/Summit because its very stable, and they are so close to all other teams.

But Bison fans don't want to leave the MVFC/Summit because its very stable, and they are so close to all other teams.

That and they are rather bitter about the last time they were turned down.

I would like to see the Big Sky take a look at NDSU. I know alot of their fans will bash the idea to no end, but I'm sure that the administration at NDSU will at least entertain the idea if the Big Sky did begin talking to them. In UND's case, the Big Sky shared their vision about it's future and where they want to be 5-10 years down the road. They appear to have a plan about being the premiere conference in FCS. The Big Sky offered UND the opportunity to decide if they want to be a part of that vision. Perhaps NDSU will get the same opportunity. The question is this, will NDSU's pride get the best of them and because of it, choose to stick with the Summit/MVFC/NCC or will they look to the west and choose to go to a conference where the sky is the limit? If NDSU is interested in FBS, their best opportunity is to align with schools such as Montana and Montana State. Montana may have chosen to stay FCS for now, but you can bet that they will begin working on the infrastructure of their athletic program so if that opportunity comes again, they will be ready. I don't think any Bison fan can honestly say that staying in the Summit/MVFC/NCC will present a better opportunity to move to FBS than the Big Sky will. As was the case with UND, "what is your vision of your future NDSU?"

• Upvote 1

Speaking of nuts.......do you have any extras laying around? You'll be one short right?

Montana is staying in the BSC. :D

LOL.....oh it gets worse......I also said this on Bisonville when one my Kool-aid drinking fellow fans said the Bison could go 8-3 this season.....

I think we will see a monkey fly out of my ass before we see 8-3 this year.

:ohmy:

I should probably just stick to drinking this weekend and NO wagering.....

Just the thought of UND "helping" NDSU get into the Big Sky is enough to almost assure that it won't happen. I don't think Gene Taylor's pride would allow him to even consider a move. Just like all the NDSU fans that had visions of playing the Griz in football in Missoula on a consistent basis (the sight of one of their great wins), I don't think pride would allow them to admit that going forward the Big Sky might be the more progressive move. Hopefully sooner or later some level-headed thinking will take hold instead of the pure petty back and forth we've been seeing between the two schools over the past 7 or so years, and I'm talking about the administrators here. I could see at some point a core four including NDSU, UND, Montana and Montana State all moving up together to the next level if it became attractive and they had a nice core group of schools to join. It could very well be more beneficial to stay in a great conference with competitive institutions pushing each other to become better.

Just the thought of UND "helping" NDSU get into the Big Sky is enough to almost assure that it won't happen. I don't think Gene Taylor's pride would allow him to even consider a move. Just like all the NDSU fans that had visions of playing the Griz in football in Missoula on a consistent basis (the sight of one of their great wins), I don't think pride would allow them to admit that going forward the Big Sky might be the more progressive move. Hopefully sooner or later some level-headed thinking will take hold instead of the pure petty back and forth we've been seeing between the two schools over the past 7 or so years, and I'm talking about the administrators here. I could see at some point a core four including NDSU, UND, Montana and Montana State all moving up together to the next level if it became attractive and they had a nice core group of schools to join. It could very well be more beneficial to stay in a great conference with competitive institutions pushing each other to become better.

I agree with this. Whats kind of fun is to see how Bison fans criticized UND for staying DII and not thinking big. Now UND takes a chance and heads off to the Big Sky where there is greater potential and opportunity to move on to bigger and better things and NDSU fans criticize us for the move. Meanwhile they say how content they are with their current conference membership...even as their commissioner is talking to schools such as St. Cloud St. and UNO. Oh the irony... :lol:

That and they are rather bitter about the last time they were turned down.

I would like to see the Big Sky take a look at NDSU. I know alot of their fans will bash the idea to no end, but I'm sure that the administration at NDSU will at least entertain the idea if the Big Sky did begin talking to them. In UND's case, the Big Sky shared their vision about it's future and where they want to be 5-10 years down the road. They appear to have a plan about being the premiere conference in FCS. The Big Sky offered UND the opportunity to decide if they want to be a part of that vision. Perhaps NDSU will get the same opportunity. The question is this, will NDSU's pride get the best of them and because of it, choose to stick with the Summit/MVFC/NCC or will they look to the west and choose to go to a conference where the sky is the limit? If NDSU is interested in FBS, their best opportunity is to align with schools such as Montana and Montana State. Montana may have chosen to stay FCS for now, but you can bet that they will begin working on the infrastructure of their athletic program so if that opportunity comes again, they will be ready. I don't think any Bison fan can honestly say that staying in the Summit/MVFC/NCC will present a better opportunity to move to FBS than the Big Sky will. As was the case with UND, "what is your vision of your future NDSU?"

I would really rather stay in the Summit/MVFC combo. With all of the movement in D1 conferences these days, there is bound to be an opening or two in the Missouri Valley fro all sports in the next 3 to 7 years. I would rather wait and take a chance on getting in the Missouri Valley than go to the Big Sky.

I know Sioux fans are talking about how great it will be in the Big Sky, but really outside of the Montana schools, who will you be excited see to come to the Alerus or Betty to watch them play football or basketball? I would like to hear from Sioux fans which schools in the Big Sky have them so excited.