SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana Watch

star2city

With UND's membership in the Big Sky, there has been a lot of concern that Montana is moving up to FBS and the WAC. Montana has an FBS feasibility study ongoing, that should be issued this month. A number of supposedly plugged-in posters are stating that Montana is staying at FCS for now, but will use the study to prepare for a possible move later. Other posters disagree entirely, and state now is the time to move up.

Montana's State AD has vehemently denied both that Montana State has any interest in the WAC and that the WAC has informally invited them (as reported by the Missoulian).

ESPN Radio Blog - WAC offers coming this week

Denver in:

Multiple sources have confirmed to ESPN1420 that the University of Denver will accept an invitation to the Western Athletic Conference early next week.

Texas State and UTSA IN

The two Texas schools are also expected to accept invitations next week. Both are currently members of the Southland Conference. Texas State plays FCS football. UTSA does not currently play football but is expected to start play in 2011.

Montana has a standing invite, but not expected to accept

Montana, it appears, is not ready to accept WAC membership at this time. Montana has a new President and is not yet finished with a feasibility study to assess the financial costs of moving their football program from the FCS to the FBS. It is believed the WAC will have an open invitation if and when the Grizzlies decide to make the move.

Seattle OUT

Odd man out in the WAC expansion appears to be Seattle University. Newspaper reports indicated Seattle would be a part of the WAC expansion plans, but the WAC has chosen to be a nine team conference (eight for football) and wait until Montana is ready to make the move.

UALR will stay in Sunbelt - according to the Sunbelt Commissioner

Denver's departure from the Sun Belt will bring SBC membership down to eleven schools. The University of Arkansas-Little Rock will be the only school not offering football. Commissioner Wright Waters recently called eleven member schools a "workable" number.

On the UALR board, they seem to believe that ORU or UMKC may be invited to the Sunbelt. UALR meets the Sunbelts criteria for offering 14 conference sports, so under the Sunbelt's bylaws, they can't be evicted.

With the Big East announcing that it will add two more football teams by 2012, that may have a significant impact on the MWC, WAC, CUSA, and other conferences. It is also thought the Big East would go to 12 teams by 2014.

Big East Expansion happening

The thoughts are that TCU is in for sure for 2012, with Villanova (or Temple if Nova declines) for 2014. That means the other 2012 slot is likely between UCF and Houston.

A San Jose MercuryNews blogger is expecting these moves:

TCU to Big East

Houston/SMU/UTEP to MWC

Rice/Tulsa/Tulane to WAC

That would make schools like Idaho and San Jose State islands in a now Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma-based WAC, practically forcing their football move to the Big Sky.

Montana wouldn't like to move into that type WAC.

UND may have the dream conference it has hoped for for years: Idaho/UM/MSU/UND.

Great news about Montana!!!

Time for NDSU to find out their buyout of the crappy MVFC/Summit and start negotiatng with the Big Sky Conference ( I hate NDSU with a passion and could care less about SoDak schools but a travel partner in the new expaned BSC would be nice). The WAC as we know it is dead in three or four years (or less at this rate with TCU).

Big Sky East

Montana

Montana State

North Dakota

North Dakota State

Idaho

Idaho State

Eastern Washington

Weber State

Big Sky West

Portland State

Sacramento State

San Jose State

Southern Utah

Utah State

Northern Arizona

California-Davis

Cal-Poly

I hope that poster is correct and that UM will be staying in the Big Sky for the foreseeable future. It looks like we should know for certain in the next few days.

UM to announce decision on WAC move within week

Within days to a week, the University of Montana is expected to announce whether the Grizzlies will move to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Only a month into his presidency, President Royce Engstrom will decide whether UM will leave the Big Sky Conference, where it's been a member since 1963, and join the Western Athletic Conference.

"We've been working diligently on this and are coming close to a final decision," Engstrom said Tuesday at a meeting on campus. Within "days to a week" Engstrom said he would announce the decision.

Time for NDSU to find out their buyout of the crappy MVFC/Summit and start negotiatng with the Big Sky Conference ( I hate NDSU with a passion and could care less about SoDak schools but a travel partner in the new expaned BSC would be nice). The WAC as we know it is dead in three or four years (or less at this rate with TCU).

Big Sky East

Montana

Montana State

North Dakota

North Dakota State

Idaho

Idaho State

Eastern Washington

Weber State

Big Sky West

Portland State

Sacramento State

San Jose State

Southern Utah

Utah State

Northern Arizona

California-Davis

Cal-Poly

Yeah I'm sure the teams in the BSC will love to fly into gf for a volleyball game and then 90 minutes later fly back home. Sounds like a good plan. It won't take long for the bitching to start.

• Upvote 1

Big Sky East

Montana

Montana State

North Dakota

North Dakota State

Idaho

Idaho State

Eastern Washington

Weber State

Big Sky West

Portland State

Sacramento State

San Jose State

Southern Utah

Utah State

Northern Arizona

California-Davis

Cal-Poly

I don't doubt that the Big Sky will at least put out a feeler to NDSU. Not sure how receptive they would be.

I don't see Idaho, San Jose St, or Utah St. moving down. Not sure where you think UNC is going to go?

Yeah I'm sure the teams in the BSC will love to fly into gf for a volleyball game and then 90 minutes later fly back home. Sounds like a good plan. It won't take long for the bitching to start.

Aren't the over 100 pages of speculation of this topic on b'ville enough for you Danno. You have to come here to share your wisdom of what you think is going to happen. Thats right, I forgot you guys have moved on.

I don't see Idaho, San Jose St, or Utah St. moving down.

Some of those schools may not have a choice pretty soon. Idaho has an athletic budget smaller than UND's. They are also paying for another 20 scholorships for football. If the WAC spreads itself out from Lousiana to Idaho with most schools being south the budget gets pretty tight. If Montana does not join the WAC than for every reason UND does not fit in the Big Sky, Idaho won't fit in the WAC. The Big Sky is providing a footprint for some of these schools to keep costs down and for them there are no other conference options. Since most conferences require a school to sponsor certain sports a school may hit a crossroads of do they bite the bullet and drop down a level for football or continue loosing money on athletics.

I will say UND may eventually hit this point as well as all of this is purely speculation. UND has proven though that it can send its athletic teams all over the country in the Great West and still turn a profit. I'm not in the Idaho, SJSU or USt. athletic depts. but I'm guessing a lot more is hinging on Montana's decision than one thinks.

I hope that poster is correct and that UM will be staying in the Big Sky for the foreseeable future. It looks like we should know for certain in the next few days.

UM to announce decision on WAC move within week

The University of South Dakota received an invitation to join the Big Sky, but declined, choosing to go to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Engstrom, who worked 28 years at USD, had several discussions with administrators there about joining the Big Sky, he said.

While disappointed that South Dakota chose to go to the Missouri Valley instead of the Big Sky, Engstrom said he understands the reasoning behind the decision, which reinstates the rivalry between USD and South Dakota State University.

Regardless, Engstrom suspects that the musical chairs among universities and athletic conferences will not end soon.

"This will be a dynamic scene over the next couple years," he said.

Not sure if he's speaking nationally or more specifically to the Big Sky.

As to speculation about NDSU to the Big Sky, I would love to see that happen. But I

They will stay, the new president will want more time to make this kind of decision and there are just way too many expenses with no guarantee increased revenue can match the cost.

Montana has it really good in the FCS, their football program is a cash cow that feeds things at the university that go way beyond football. Who knows if people will pack the stadium when the Griz are going 5-7 or 4-8 instead of making the playoffs every year. Really it isn't like the WAC is filled with big name programs now, it has been gutted.

They will stay, the new president will want more time to make this kind of decision and there are just way too many expenses with no guarantee increased revenue can match the cost.

Montana has it really good in the FCS, their football program is a cash cow that feeds things at the university that go way beyond football. Who knows if people will pack the stadium when the Griz are going 5-7 or 4-8 instead of making the playoffs every year. Really it isn't like the WAC is filled with big name programs now, it has been gutted.

I can't say that I disagree with a single thing you wrote...... Rats! ;)

I agree and am hopeful that they stay.

Might have been a lot more bitching from a 380 mile bus ride in a blizzard from GF to Vermillion or vice versa. Vermillion is not exactly close to anything for easy travel west either. Actually the best travel partner for UND would be NDSU or even Minnesota (oh my god, would they be competitive in the BSC?)

I'd also have to agree. They may revisit the issue down the road, but as of now, I don't really see that their administration would find a Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana based WAC all that appealing. Could be alot different if Nevada and Boise were still included, or if Montana St. seemed gung ho for an FBS move, but it seems they are comfortable with where they are at. Minus the new addition of non-football Denver, Idaho has really become a geographic outlier in the WAC.

TCU is in the MW.

Moon:

I believe the point was that TCU moving out of the MWC will have a domino effect on the WAC. The Big East desperately needs football credentials - either Pitt or WVU going to a BCS bowl with 4 losses is disgraceful - , and TCU would provide that. Both TCU and UCF going would likely mean the WAC loses two schools. The WAC isn't out of trouble by any means.

From egriz

More clues.

Thanks!!

But sources say new UM President Royce Engstrom watched the rivalry between South Dakota and South Dakota State fall apart when SDSU left for a higher level of play, and he doesn't want to see the same happen between Montana and Montana State. The WAC did offer a waiver to Montana allowing the Griz to play MSU, but the Cats would suddenly be saddled with an inferior number of scholarships, which would make it less appealing for MSU to continue scheduling the series.

Also, Montana's Board of Regents is likely to vote against the move should it be submitted. Engstrum would be the school official to submit that application.

On the UALR board, they seem to believe that ORU or UMKC may be invited to the Sunbelt. UALR meets the Sunbelts criteria for offering 14 conference sports, so under the Sunbelt's bylaws, they can't be evicted.

I get such a kick out of you. I went to the board and one poster mentions ORU in addition to Murray State or GSU as possible invitees into the SBC. The only mention of UMKC was when a poster talked about a time when the Summit could have been a southern based conference and that UMKC and UALR are similar. Do you really believe the crap you write? No where does anyone "seem to believe" that ORU or UMKC may be invited to the Sunbelt. How funny.