SiouxSports.com Forum

With UND as the single Dakota Big Sky school -

star2city

Point taken, but NDSU and SDSU are basically on the border and USD is not far. Further, UNI is close, too. Wisconsin is Wisconsin, but tons of Illinous teams on there border. Look at a map, and you wil see the issue. Can it be overcome? Maybe, but no way anyone can argue this helps. That is simply happy face talking. And yes, Big Sky is clearly better than being idependent.

And throw UND into that mix and you just listed 5+ teams all fighting for exposure in an area of the country that is not that heavily populated. If UND can play this right and can offer something different we can seperate ourselves from just being one of the "Dakota schools" from the MVFC. I'm up for the challenge.

Shawn-O, let's be fair. First, Wyo was clearly stating he understands that UND did the only logical thing. And yes, NDSU would have done the same thing years ago if offered. He never said anything to the contrary.

However, the idea that what happened is a good thing for UND? My goodness; UND is now on a conference island and will have very limited exposure in MN and WI. That is going to be a huge challenge. Games against Montana schools will be cool and draw fans, but that is about it.

I would recommend that you go to some of the athletic websites in the big Sky, specifically Montana and Montana St., and see the number of Minn. kids playing football and basketball out there. I think you'll be surprised by the number. Good players recognize the Big Sky as a legit conference and we'll be taken seriously wherever we recruit.

It is too bad we were the only school in the Dakota's to go to the Big Sky. It would have been nice to have a "natural" rival in the conference with us. That being said, we did what was best for our athletic program. As far as I know, there was no offer from the Missouri Valley for us regarding football. We'll get used to the league quickly and new rivalries will come. UND will be fine.

I have already heard some of the media from other cities (you know who I mean ) and fans from their say UND will never be able to recruit area kids any more. That is really a bunch of bull. Athletes in general will be thrilled to play in the Big Sky and go to some of the locations in the Big Sky. The bottom line is we still need to put a quality product on the field to attract good athletes. As long as we are successful we will be able to attract good student athletes. In fact we will have some recruiting advantages over some of the area schools. That arguement is just bogus propaganda.

Seriously, if a long-time FCS program can't afford to fly two or three times per year, maybe they need to re-think whether they can even afford to be playing scholarship FCS football.

There you go again thinking rationally and logically and asking questions that reporters and media should be asking.

We'll have none of that non-sense around here young man.

Hey WYO, just in good fun, remember this? :

;)

Yes, and that was true at the time. However, what has happened has worked well for NDSU. It just screws me because I have to travel a long ways for games. However, back then there was no thought of the Montanas leaving theBig Sky Conference and no thought of us ever getting into the MVFC (Gateway back then). The way conference realignment has turned out.......NDSU got lucky and wound up in the right spot. The Big Sky screwed up by taking UNC instead of the xDSUs. If the Sky had gone that route I suspect t hey would be more stable and all 4 Dakota schools would be looking at playing together once again.

I have already heard some of the media from other cities (you know who I mean ) and fans from their say UND will never be able to recruit area kids any more. That is really a bunch of bull. Athletes in general will be thrilled to play in the Big Sky and go to some of the locations in the Big Sky. The bottom line is we still need to put a quality product on the field to attract good athletes. As long as we are successful we will be able to attract good student athletes. In fact we will have some recruiting advantages over some of the area schools. That arguement is just bogus propaganda.

Kids want to play at a good school, with good facilities and good fan support. They also want to win.

I don't think there are any Missouri Valley teams in Minnesota or Wisconsin either..........................

Right!!! And Guess who is on Directv regionally and nationally tonite and tomorrow on channels 617 and 623? UND hockey tonite and UND FB Tomorrow. Anyone in Minn or Wisc with Directv can watch the Sioux play if they wish.

Exposure baby!

Yes, and that was true at the time. However, what has happened has worked well for NDSU. It just screws me because I have to travel a long ways for games. However, back then there was no thought of the Montanas leaving theBig Sky Conference and no thought of us ever getting into the MVFC (Gateway back then). The way conference realignment has turned out.......NDSU got lucky and wound up in the right spot. The Big Sky screwed up by taking UNC instead of the xDSUs. If the Sky had gone that route I suspect t hey would be more stable and all 4 Dakota schools would be looking at playing together once again.

Just having some fun with you! I'd say it has worked out well for all the schools.

And just think, now it will be that much easier for you to travel to see North Dakota play!

Just having some fun with you! I'd say it has worked out well for all the schools.

And just think, now it will be that much easier for you to travel to see North Dakota play!

The funny thing is, the way airfares are, it is cheaper for me to fly to the MVFC games than it was to fly to Bozeman or Missoula. And now with $86 a barrel oil, driving will be no bargain. SUU and Weber games were close and easy as was UNC. Minneapolis is always an expensive flight from Salt Lake as well. Travel is just going to get more pricey if these oil prices stay.

Regarding this talk about fans in Grand Forks/and the region traveling to games:

The average fan does not make road trips unless it is a very special rivarly game, or a tournament/playoff type game. This includes back in the day, when we played NDSU, St Cloud, and other "close" games. It does not matter if it is a couple hour drive, or couple hour flight. It doesn't matter if it is the NCC, the Great West, the Summit, or the Big Sky. Nothing is really going to change.

What WILL change is the number of games UND alums and fans across the country can make. Playing a Big Sky Conference(aka: meaningful) game near alumni bases such as Denver and Seattle will be great for those alums who make it to maybe 1 game a year in Grand Forks if they are lucky.

As Grand Forks or regional UND fans, we are lucky enough to be able to attend just about any home game we want. Road games are fun, but just not practical for most.

If one has the free time and money, I'd much rather make a trip to some of the Big Sky road destinations than the Summit/MVFC options, but that is just me.

Point taken, but NDSU and SDSU are basically on the border and USD is not far. Further, UNI is close, too. Wisconsin is Wisconsin, but tons of Illinous teams on there border. Look at a map, and you wil see the issue. Can it be overcome? Maybe, but no way anyone can argue this helps. That is simply happy face talking. And yes, Big Sky is clearly better than being idependent.

I'm pretty sure that UND is on the same border as NDSU and SDSU. UND gets coverage from the same outlets as NDSU. None of the schools you mentioned get much coverage in the big media markets like Minneapolis, Madison or even Duluth; except for UND hockey. So your point is off base, UND isn't losing any coverage that they would have gotten by being in the Summit/MVFC except for games they would have played against NDSU, SDSU or USD. And UND can still play games against those 3 schools, it just won't happen as often.

I'm pretty sure that UND is on the same border as NDSU and SDSU. UND gets coverage from the same outlets as NDSU. None of the schools you mentioned get much coverage in the big media markets like Minneapolis, Madison or even Duluth; except for UND hockey. So your point is off base, UND isn't losing any coverage that they would have gotten by being in the Summit/MVFC except for games they would have played against NDSU, SDSU or USD. And UND can still play games against those 3 schools, it just won't happen as often.

We won't gain the coverage that the other Dakota schools will have in Fort Wayne, Tulsa, and Macomb, ;) , as IPFW, ORU, and WIU all get decent coverage in those cities.

We'll probably have the same coverage in Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Detroit (UMKC, IUPUI, and Oakland): none. :D

We won't gain the coverage that the other Dakota schools will have in Fort Wayne, Tulsa, and Macomb, ;) , as IPFW, ORU, and WIU all get decent coverage in those cities.

We'll probably have the same coverage in Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Detroit (UMKC, IUPUI, and Oakland): none. :D

I'm bummed about no road trips to Macomb and Terre Haute. ;):D