SiouxSports.com Forum

UND needs to be talking with the WAC

star2city

Today, what remains of the WAC is in a teleconference to chart it's future path. The WAC is down to six schools and needs to add schools quickly to get back up in numbers and help ensure that it survives for another generation. It needs future FBS schools, but it will also consider adding non-football schools. It also has an option of adding six FCS school immediately, and then only transitioning two schools every other year to FBS. The remaining schools would stay in queue - getting their facilities, finances, and programs in shape - until a predetermined time for a FBS transition. That way the WAC could help facilitate longer-term FBS transitions and the FCS schools can be assured that their efforts will not go for want. What the WAC would need is a commitment - likely with financial penalities if they aren't met - that the FCS school would be ready.

Since UND does not have membership in the Summit or MVFC, it is unencumbered by exit fees or scheduling requirements beyond 2011. If UND alumni could guarantee $40 - $50 or so is available for stadium upgrades, plus a new practice facility will be built, UND could be in a position to present a package to the WAC for membership. With a decent financial guarantee and FBS transition plan, UND leadership could present a proposal to the WAC to become a member in 2012, and start the FBS transition in 2014. IF FBS finances are truly available, and with the Betty and the Ralph, UND's research and academic offerings, overall athletic program (no other prospective program in in UND's league with respect to overall attendance or DI championships), and UND's broadcasting capability, UND could offer an overall package that is very attractive.

The Texas schools are likely the favorites right now, but one of their issues is that they are an eventual flight risk. Texas offers other league options. Schools in California, Montana, and North Dakota would have basically be tied to the WAC for the forseeable future.

WAC's current members:

La Tech

New Mexico St

Utah St

Idaho

San Jose St

Hawaii

Prospective FBS members:

Montana - needs to add sports, finances, practice facility

Montana St - stadium expansion, finances

UC-Davis - same as Montana State

Cal Poly - same as Montana State

Sac State - needs to rent the Arco for BB

Portland State - needs to rent the Rose Garden for BB

Texas State - ready

Sam Houston State - finances needed

UTSA - ready

NDSU- practice facility, finances

UND - stadium expansion, finances (practice facility?)

Non-football

Denver

Seattle

Utah Valley

Cal State-Bakersfield

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you build it, will they (WAC) come?

University%20of%20North%20Dakota%20Complex.jpg

Thanks for the images!! Must be the latest!

What would be awesome is if instead of building offices along the entire west side of the practice facility with just two stories, build that portion to match the height of the opposite Memorial Stadium stands. If stadium expansion was ever necessary, the upper portion of the new practice facility offices could be converted into suites.

I doubt that any of our schools are on the FBS radar scope. Neither school is ready or ought to take such a jump. I would much rather play for a National Title than a meaningless bowl game on some obscure cable channel as the culmination of a season. Neither school has done much in D1 (major sports folks.....hockey doesn't count). I think that a reputation in both FB and BB is needed before a move up should be considered (and then there is still the meaningless bowl game issue to deal with).

Interesting, there's speculation that the WAC may have to go to 16 teams with central/mountain and pacific time zones divisions to survive.

Incredibly, even western Great West schools like UT-PA, Houston Baptist, Utah Valley might be in play.

If 16 teams is part of the plan to keep the WAC alive in the long term, UND may definitely have a conference option it had never dreamed of on Tuesday.

I doubt that any of our schools are on the FBS radar scope. Neither school is ready or ought to take such a jump. I would much rather play for a National Title than a meaningless bowl game on some obscure cable channel as the culmination of a season.

Meaningless bowl games get better ratings than a "meaningful" FCS championship game.

Neither school has done much in D1 (major sports folks.....hockey doesn't count). I think that a reputation in both FB and BB is needed before a move up should be considered (and then there is still the meaningless bowl game issue to deal with).

Normally, reputation does matter. The WAC is fighting for its life, so it's just looking for schools willing to get on it's lifeboat.

Hockey may not matter to the WAC, but an ability to finance a move to FBS does. Hockey is a cash cow for UND.

Fresno State and Nevada athletic departments are both struggling financially at this time. Could get very ugly.

"The resolution is very clear that it's a $5 million penalty and the WAC will expect $5 million payments from both Nevada and Fresno State within 60 days," Benson said.

WAC -16 team option under one umbrella

FBS League FCS League (to move up later)

Hawaii --- Cal Poly

San Jose St --- Sac St

Idaho --- Portland St

Utah St --- Montana

N Mex St --- Montana St

La Tech --- UCDavis

UTSA --- North Dakota

Texas St --- NDSU

I really doubt the WAC is thinking of the ND schools, but let's just say they did. Would the ND schools accept? It would be in UND's interest to do so since you have no viable conference right now......I don't think it is in NDSU's interest to make the move and I think NDSU may not jump at it.

I’m new to UND but beginning to learn how true that statement is. As a Bison undergraduate alumnus, but beginning graduate work at UND, I realize there is a lot of denial as to just how much revenue hockey generates by those at my former school. Also, the proposals for your new football and track practice facilities look very progressive.

Earlier, the REA had other issues, like building up it's own fund for maintenance and repairs and paying off the Betty bonds. Now, more money is able to be returned to UND athletics. With men's hockey scholarships now funded mostly by endowments, paying for women's hockey schlolarships became less burdensome.

I really doubt the WAC is thinking of the ND schools, but let's just say they did. Would the ND schools accept? It would be in UND's interest to do so since you have no viable conference right now......I don't think it is in NDSU's interest to make the move and I think NDSU may not jump at it.

In all honesty, I doubt either school are on the WAC's short range radar.

But if the WAC only goes to eight, there are going to be some schools that will be very irate that a more appropriate regional rival was not added. The WAC is just too far flung and has no regional cohesiveness.

Here is an example of what the national sports media is thinking about the WAC......not a conference I would want NDSU associated with.......

My link

That's tame in comparison with some things that have been written about the Great West and Summit, which get almost no attention. And that story doesn't even get it's facts right: CUSA would not move down to the WAC. FCS schools are practically the only answer.

So what if the WAC is becoming the new Sunbelt in terms of strength of conference: it's a higher level than what we are now and recruiting would be much easier. Nevada never did anything in basketball until the WAC. Same with Fresno. Utah State, New Mexico State, and La Tech individually offer more in basketball than the Summit or Big Sky have ever accomplished.

If you have the ability and resources, choose the one with greater rewards.

Today, what remains of the WAC is in a teleconference to chart it's future path. The WAC is down to six schools and needs to add schools quickly to get back up in numbers and help ensure that it survives for another generation. It needs future FBS schools, but it will also consider adding non-football schools. It also has an option of adding six FCS school immediately, and then only transitioning two schools every other year to FBS. The remaining schools would stay in queue - getting their facilities, finances, and programs in shape - until a predetermined time for a FBS transition. That way the WAC could help facilitate longer-term FBS transitions and the FCS schools can be assured that their efforts will not go for want. What the WAC would need is a commitment - likely with financial penalities if they aren't met - that the FCS school would be ready.

Since UND does not have membership in the Summit or MVFC, it is unencumbered by exit fees or scheduling requirements beyond 2011. If UND alumni could guarantee $40 - $50 or so is available for stadium upgrades, plus a new practice facility will be built, UND could be in a position to present a package to the WAC for membership. With a decent financial guarantee and FBS transition plan, UND leadership could present a proposal to the WAC to become a member in 2012, and start the FBS transition in 2014. IF FBS finances are truly available, and with the Betty and the Ralph, UND's research and academic offerings, overall athletic program (no other prospective program in in UND's league with respect to overall attendance or DI championships), and UND's broadcasting capability, UND could offer an overall package that is very attractive.

The Texas schools are likely the favorites right now, but one of their issues is that they are an eventual flight risk. Texas offers other league options. Schools in California, Montana, and North Dakota would have basically be tied to the WAC for the forseeable future.

WAC's current members:

La Tech

New Mexico St

Utah St

Idaho

San Jose St

Hawaii

Prospective FBS members:

Montana - needs to add sports, finances, practice facility

Montana St - stadium expansion, finances

UC-Davis - same as Montana State

Cal Poly - same as Montana State

Sac State - needs to rent the Arco for BB

Portland State - needs to rent the Rose Garden for BB

Texas State - ready

Sam Houston State - finances needed

UTSA - ready

NDSU- practice facility, finances

UND - stadium expansion, finances (practice facility?)

Non-football

Denver

Seattle

Utah Valley

Cal State-Bakersfield

There is much food for thought here. Perhaps this is a viable option to the Summit or the Missouri Valley Football Conference. In many respects UND already fits in criteria-wise academically and otherwise with current WAC schools. AD Brian Faison would have a better handle on that, having served as athletic director at New Mexico State. I am fully aware UND hasn't really made an impact on FCS yet, so maybe this is premature. Nevertheless, it has been said by many others words to the effect that timing is everything, and sometimes it is. If the WAC is willing to help along FCS programs in transition and play somewhat of a waiting game as the FCS schools build up their programs, who knows? I'm not categorically rejecting the idea out of hand, although I am somewhat skeptical at this point. Nevertheless, providing other things fall into place, it may well prove to be a viable option.