SiouxSports.com Forum

Back to Memorial Stadium

GeauxSioux

Tying a few different threads together, I'm forwarding the idea of moving football back to Memorial Stadium. The Alerus has been a nice home for Sioux football for the past 10 years, but is it a long term home? Let the city transform the Alerus.

I know in the past, I have been an advocate for Sioux football in the Alerus. But there are reasons for moving out of the Alerus.

The Alerus is not expandable, Memorial is.

There was a thread last year about the poor atmosphere outside of the Alerus on game day. Move back on campus and I am sure that would change.

I read in a football blog from a southern school that they like their advantage over northern teams that come south when there is high heat and humidity. Reverse that and have them come north when the weather favors North Dakota.

I also read on Egriz, when turf was a topic of conversation, that North Dakota's practice field was better than the game day turf. Practice where you play. Make it a true home field.

I don't know how many people attend Sioux games, because they are indoors, but I think an increase in numbers from students would offset it.

Obviously this will take time and money to upgrade Memorial, but money won't be spent on rent for the Alerus either.

Tying a few different threads together, I'm forwarding the idea of moving football back to Memorial Stadium. The Alerus has been a nice home for Sioux football for the past 10 years, but is it a long term home? Let the city transform the Alerus.

I know in the past, I have been an advocate for Sioux football in the Alerus. But there are reasons for moving out of the Alerus.

The Alerus is not expandable, Memorial is.

There was a thread last year about the poor atmosphere outside of the Alerus on game day. Move back on campus and I am sure that would change.

I read in a football blog from a southern school that they like their advantage over northern teams that come south when there is high heat and humidity. Reverse that and have them come north when the weather favors North Dakota.

I also read on Egriz, when turf was a topic of conversation, that North Dakota's practice field was better than the game day turf. Practice where you play. Make it a true home field.

I don't know how many people attend Sioux games, because they are indoors, but I think an increase in numbers from students would offset it.

Obviously this will take time and money to upgrade Memorial, but money won't be spent on rent for the Alerus either.

Would have to agree, but since I do not live in the area any more and rarely get to a game my opinion means little. Having grown up watching Sioux games at Memorial Stadium it is a special place for me and always thought it strange that it was never expanded. I have been to a few games at the Alerus and enjoyed them, but the game and pregame atmosphere was not the same. The terrible and early winter of 96-97 obviously influences everyone when thinking of outdoor football in GF, but scheduling and proper design of a remodel could mitigate some of the late season issues. Expansion to 20,000 seats or so longer term would be wise too as more years pass. Of course optimistically looking ahead, any playoff games would certainly be a question mark for weather, but perhaps the Alerus could be kept intact for anything like that since typically playoff games draw fewer fans anyway. Would love to see Sioux FB at fever pitch in future years and draw in excess of 15,000 per game. Hope it happens, but it may not be very realistic unless they can find a conference soon.

It was mentioned that Sioux football has been in the Alerus for the past ten years. With that said the turf at Memoridal seems to be in good condition. Was it replaced after the move to indoor football? What am I missing? I'm a recent newcomer to the GF area and I must say that old stadium looks to have a lot of character and history within it's walls. I wouldn't mind seeing a game there. I can only imagine what tailgating would be like outside! Go Sioux!

It was mentioned that Sioux football has been in the Alerus for the past ten years. With that said the turf at Memoridal seems to be in good condition. Was it replaced after the move to indoor football? What am I missing? I'm a recent newcomer to the GF area and I must say that old stadium looks to have a lot of character and history within it's walls. I wouldn't mind seeing a game there. I can only imagine what tailgating would be like outside! Go Sioux!

The new turf was installed in 2007.

The old days of tailgating at Memorial were great. I haven't tailgated at Memorial since 1992. I've been to the Alerus twice. I had a great time in both locations.

Attendance would be a major challenge back at Memorial. In the old days the only time you got 10,000 people or more in Memorial were during good weather when a recognizable opponent was in town. There were late season and playoff games during cold or snowy weather that had much closer to 1,000 people in the stands. UND has averaged close to 10,000 most of the years in the Alerus. People are softer now than they were then. People probably wouldn't come out to late season games in large numbers, and I think that would be very true of students.

Expansion of Memorial wouldn't be needed any time soon. It was very rare that Memorial was ever totally packed (I do remember some NDSU games that were jammed). They would have to build a lot more interest before they needed to expand. But they would have to replace the seating on the east sidelines. I believe that they have removed all of those bleachers. I know that some of them are out at the River Cities Speedway. I don't know where the rest went. But I'm pretty sure that the only seating currently at Memorial is the permanent seating on the west side.

Attendance would be a major challenge back at Memorial. In the old days the only time you got 10,000 people or more in Memorial were during good weather when a recognizable opponent was in town. There were late season and playoff games during cold or snowy weather that had much closer to 1,000 people in the stands. UND has averaged close to 10,000 most of the years in the Alerus. People are softer now than they were then. People probably wouldn't come out to late season games in large numbers, and I think that would be very true of students.

Expansion of Memorial wouldn't be needed any time soon. It was very rare that Memorial was ever totally packed (I do remember some NDSU games that were jammed). They would have to build a lot more interest before they needed to expand. But they would have to replace the seating on the east sidelines. I believe that they have removed all of those bleachers. I know that some of them are out at the River Cities Speedway. I don't know where the rest went. But I'm pretty sure that the only seating currently at Memorial is the permanent seating on the west side.

I know this is a pipe dream, but it has been discussed.

The only way Memorial Stadium would work out for everything (attendance in November, etc), is to have a retractable roof (an alum with the initials DF, anyone?). If they do go back to campus, and I'd like to see it eventually, I think they would regret building an outdoor stadium because of the temps late in the season. With the Alerus, I think crowds and fans have become softer, like you said. But it also does have some advantages. Just my opinion.

I know this is a pipe dream, but it has been discussed.

The only way Memorial Stadium would work out for everything (attendance in November, etc), is to have a retractable roof (an alum with the initials DF, anyone?). If they do go back to campus, and I'd like to see it eventually, I think they would regret building an outdoor stadium because of the temps late in the season. With the Alerus, I think crowds and fans have become softer, like you said. But it also does have some advantages. Just my opinion.

On campus would be a definite advantage. It has a more collegiate atmosphere. Would probably help attract alums. May help attract students to games (although that isn't a definite). But a retractable roof would be a huge investment for a fairly small return of 5 or 6 home games when an average of about half of them would probably use the retractable roof. My guess is that they would go without or go with a permanent roof unless they can find a lot more usage for a facility with a retractable roof.

I actually have game programs from the mid 1980's that list Memorial Stadium's capacity at 15,000. I wonder if that was always a typo.

When was that game early 90's? Anyway been in North Dakota playing indoors is a lot better and its all about putting buts in the seats. Sure you will get a lot for one game but what about the rest of the games? I remember a game where it was 70 at kick off and 32 at half time. That sucked. Its all about marketing.

I actually have game programs from the mid 1980's that list Memorial Stadium's capacity at 15,000. I wonder if that was always a typo.

With the bleachers in the endzone and standing room it's possible that they could have packed 15,000 in Memorial. I remember a couple of UND-NDSU games where there seemed to be well over 10,000. But I don't remember any actual attendance figures.

With the bleachers in the endzone and standing room it's possible that they could have packed 15,000 in Memorial. I remember a couple of UND-NDSU games where there seemed to be well over 10,000. But I don't remember any actual attendance figures.

Looking back through the attendance figures, the highest average home attendance between 1962 and 2000 was in 1976 with an average of 9,150. The lowest was in 1991 (4,846), when the Sioux played 4 home games, including Morningside, Augustana and Moorhead State.

SDSU also plays outdoors and they have seen an increase of between 40-50% in attendance over their old D2 days. Granted Grand Forks is colder than Brookings, but people from North Dakota are tougher. :D

Looking back through the attendance figures, the highest average home attendance between 1962 and 2000 was in 1976 with an average of 9,150. The lowest was in 1991 (4,846), when the Sioux played 4 home games, including Morningside, Augustana and Moorhead State.

SDSU also plays outdoors and they have seen an increase of between 40-50% in attendance over their old D2 days. Granted Grand Forks is colder than Brookings, but people from North Dakota are tougher. :D

And people complain about the schedules the last couple of years.

The other variable for SDSU has been much better performance. They have won a lot more the last couple of years than they did in the D2 days.

And people complain about the schedules the last couple of years.

The other variable for SDSU has been much better performance. They have won a lot more the last couple of years than they did in the D2 days.

Regarding SDSU, the stars really aligned for them last season, as they had probably their best team ever, together with a great home schedule which included UNI, SIU and NDSU. They also had the good fortune of unseasonably warm weather for the November 7 game against SIU, with a temp in the 50's. However, even with warmer-than-normal temps for the conference-title-deciding game against SIU, attendance for that game was roughly 3000 fewer than their season average. Also, in 2008, they had crowds of 6117 and 3276 for home games in November.

I believe that was the year the UNC game was snowed out.

When was that game early 90's? Anyway been in North Dakota playing indoors is a lot better and its all about putting buts in the seats. Sure you will get a lot for one game but what about the rest of the games? I remember a game where it was 70 at kick off and 32 at half time. That sucked. Its all about marketing.

Without a roof, the attendance would be an issue. A bigger issue might be the recruiting gains we've made lately. I doubt if we would continue getting the CA/TX players once they visit in January.

Phase II of the indoor practice facility goes right to the east side of Memorial, so the plan is to obviously keep the structure or at least the site. With practice indoors, MAYBE an outdoor stadium wouldn't hurt recruiting, but it would still impact late-season attendance.

So if Mr. F could write the check for enough to include 25,000 seats and a roof I think everyone would be happy. (If he does it soon we could let him pick the new nickname) (Maybe not Eskimos)

Edit: Fixed the Dan Quayle spelling.

Edited by VMeister

Without a roof, the attendance would be an issue. A bigger issue might be the recruiting gains we've made lately. I doubt if we would continue getting the CA/TX players once they visit in January.

Phase II of the indoor practice facility goes right to the east side of Memorial, so the plan is to obviously keep the structure or at least the site. With practice indoors, MAYBE an outdoor stadium wouldn't hurt recruiting, but it would still impact late-season attendance.

So if Mr. F could write the check for enough to include 25,000 seats and a roof I think everyone would be happy. (If he does it soon we could let him pick the new nickname) (Maybe not Eskimoes)

"Mr F" would be seen just like Ralph Engelstad with a donation that would fund a retractable roof stadium. Seriously, how cool would that be?! Talk about standing out in the college football world, FBS or FCS.

"Mr F" would be seen just like Ralph Engelstad with a donation that would fund a retractable roof stadium.

Ah-ha. Finally, someone has said it.

No one wants to be seen "just like" Mr. E.

He was tarred and feathered because he supported the name and built a rink in tribute to it.

And nobody likes their name drug through the mud.

Now, if someone had the chance to be seen riding in on a (virtual) white horse with a great donation in UND's greatest time of need, namely, post-moniker, that person would forever be remembered as a great savior from strife. Who wouldn't want that perception tied to them? (And they wouldn't get tarred like Mr. E did by the Leigh Jeanottes of the world because the moniker is gone.)

Would it work if September-October games were played at Memorial Stadium and November games played in Alerus?

I suppose you could say it could still mean snow games in October, but less likely.

Just thinking aloud

Don't forget rain and cold weather in October, as we saw last fall. Outdoor sports in the fall are going to be a crapshoot in this area, you never know what the weather is going to do.

Playing in 2 different home stadiums would also cut into the home field advantage. But it wouldn't be the first time that someone played home games in more than 1 stadium.