SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center

Local Boy

Maybe I'm missing something, but this makes no sense. An additional 500 people at a show is going to produce $61,000 more profit?? That's $122/person.

$25,000 profit on 2,500 is $10 a head profit for the arena. And that seems reasonable given that tickets for a show of this type are generally in the $35-$55 range. But $86,000 on 3,000 is almost $29 a head for the arena. I don't think so.

The numbers are probably off. But if the show makes a profit at 2,500 then the extra 500 people are almost pure profit. They would operate with the same staff at 3,000 as at 2,500. The ticket per person is all profit (unless the act gets a piece of the gate rather than a flat fee). Additional parking is pure profit. And any concessions sold to those 500 are mainly profit. My estimate would be an average of $50-60 profit per additional person for that scenario. It would probably take about 3,500 people to reach that $86,000 profit rather than 3,000.

This is exactly my point. He's selling this to the center's board. I find it troubling.

The exact numbers aren't important because each show is going to be different. There is no way to say that any show that gets 2,500 people would get a profit of $25,000 unless you have all of the details for that particular show. We don't know the exact conversation that was going on and don't know if he was being literal or not. He may have just been throwing numbers out to prove a point. The point is that they can make a good profit on a small show if it is done right. And if the attendance is really good the profit can increase quite a bit.

• 6 months later...

Bummer. Apparently, the Tim McGraw show was a loser. It will be interesting to see how much money taxpayers lost on this event. Major concert events at The Alerus lose from $100K-$350K per event. I would guess this one is in this range.

Also, if you all remember, the Alerus Commission and Alerus Management was not supposed to provide a promoter guarantee without City Council approval. There is no way the promoter brought this event without a guarantee.

Hopefully someone will see that this information is shared with the public. Terry Bjerke, perhaps? Since The Herald shut down their reporters from blogging, it has become more difficult to get this information.

I thought this show would do better because of the lower average ticket price. It probably would have been a better fit for The Ralph. I would guess The Alerus paid more to entice the promoters away from The Ralph.

The Alerus is a huge money pit, the city should have never built it the way they did. UND will outgrow it sooner than people realize once BSC play starts up and then it will be even worse. Does anybody know if the football stadium can be added onto?

Bummer. Apparently, the Tim McGraw show was a loser. It will be interesting to see how much money taxpayers lost on this event. Major concert events at The Alerus lose from $100K-$350K per event. I would guess this one is in this range.

Also, if you all remember, the Alerus Commission and Alerus Management was not supposed to provide a promoter guarantee without City Council approval. There is no way the promoter brought this event without a guarantee.

Hopefully someone will see that this information is shared with the public. Terry Bjerke, perhaps? Since The Herald shut down their reporters from blogging, it has become more difficult to get this information.

I thought this show would do better because of the lower average ticket price. It probably would have been a better fit for The Ralph. I would guess The Alerus paid more to entice the promoters away from The Ralph.

The Tuesday night show hurt attendance, no doubt. The show however, was as good as any we've had in town in a long time. Great concert!!!

The Tuesday night show hurt attendance, no doubt. The show however, was as good as any we've had in town in a long time. Great concert!!!

Of course! How many thousands of people in Fargo stayed home because they didn't want to go to work the next day on 5 hours of sleep? I'll bet you get 15,000 if it's on a weekend.

Has anyone watched a game from the front row at Alerus? Is it too close/low to enjoy the game?

I have watched many games from the front row on the Sioux side and it not bad at all. It is not ideal if you like to see the whole field all the time but it is still pretty cool to be that close to the game.

Has anyone watched a game from the front row at Alerus? Is it too close/low to enjoy the game?

I sit around the 40 yard line in the front row...........

Of course the viewing angle is not great when the teams get near the opposite end zone, but it is fun to be so close to the action.............

I never sat in the front, front row of the Alerus but it couldn't be as bad as the front row at Memorial Stadium especially the home side unless you want to stare at the players and miss the game. :lol: Now staring at the cheerleaders...thats different. :love:

Seems like this show was thrown together rather quickly as well................not alot of time for marketing from when the show was announced. About two weeks if I recall?

The Alerus is a publicly owned facility. Discussing the cost/benefit and taxpayer's return on investment is not out of line. Alerus and City officials have lied to the public in the past regarding the secret subsidies. Bloggers and news group are doing a service to the community by discussing the center.

Does anybody know what the new football turf at the Alerus will look like?

Whatever they do I sure hope they don't do the fadish, tacky, Boise State, Eastern Washington, "match the turf to school colors" thing ... oh, ... wait ... ;):D

• 1 month later...