SiouxSports.com Forum

Alerus Center

Local Boy

Really? It's seemed up here that the Alerus bombs really bad in the first half of the year and then does less bad in the second.

This is just a guess, but I wonder if it has to do with the relative profitability of UND and NDSU football. First, as far as I know, both are profitable for their respective facilities. Also, I'm pretty sure that NDSU football is more profitable than UND football, but that doesn't matter in this case. In the case of the Fargodome, when you look at the three major profit centers of concerts, trade shows and NDSU football, football is the least profitable of the three. It makes good money, but not as much as the other two. It also generally ties up the Fargodome for more days with no additional profit. A trade show may tie up the dome for 4-5 days, but you get 3-4 days of revenue. Football can also tie up the dome for up to 4-5 days(depending on the number of indoor practices), but it only generates a single day of revenue. Also, the Fargodome hosts a lot of high school football games in the fall/winter that are basically losses for the dome.

It could very well be that the concert and trade show situation is so bad at the Alerus, that UND football ends up being the most profitable of the three. That would explain why the Fargodome does better in the spring and the Alerus does better in the fall. It's just a guess, though.

One more thing about the year the Fargodome is having. This has been a year when the stars have aligned just right. I doubt there's ever been a year before when the Fargodome has managed to get 6 of the top 20 current acts. It might have even been 7 if the Simon and Garfunkel tour hadn't fallen apart. The reason the current profit figure for the Fargodome is so high is because 5 of those 6 events have already happened; only the Reba/George Strait concert is yet to come. On top of that, all the big trade shows happen in the spring. The boat show is in January, the home & garden show is in February, and the sportsmen's show is in March. Put that all together, and you get an abnormally good year. Unless something weird happens next year, the Fargodome will be back to its regular $100k-150k profit; maybe $175k if the Bison turn things around this year.

Why can Fargo make money on concerts and we can't even break even? In my opinion the difference is management. Venuworks is doing a terrible job and the Alerus Commission seems to be happy with that.

Edit: One other thing, the Alerus has been losing money for years. I'm sure they want to blame today's concert industry but the problem is a lot deeper than that.

It certainly could be management, I just think GF is a pretty small market, (97,190) compared even to Fargo (200,102) to be looking for big concerts. Whatever concerts we get here, I feel lucky due to the size of the market.

That said, if we can't get concerts, (for whatever reason), there must be attempts made by Venuworks to get other money making events to the Alerus.

I just thought that I would add my $0.02 - I make it up to GF two or three times a year for games FB/Hockey. If rooms are available we stay at the Canad Inn. It is a very nice facility. My girls love the water park and it is always a fun weekend. Big thank you to Grand Forks for a great facility, I hope that they are able to make things work with the facility. On a side now, at least you got to vote on the Alerus Center. I got the Target Field stuffed down my throat. Then I get that moron FSN Dick babbling about how get the Twins are to the community.

I think it's been almost a year now??

I live in Grand Forks but rarely drive by the Alerus Center so it was the first time I noticed it. I also noticed they have a new football sign on the south side of the building.

I live in Grand Forks but rarely drive by the Alerus Center so it was the first time I noticed it. I also noticed they have a new football sign on the south side of the building.

seriously Goon? they also added new Daktronics LED billboards ;)

Didn't the fargodome give Sean Doberstien and his management group the boot after they lost $92k cash on a date hold/guaruntee deal that didn't pan out for a rap act?

I live in Fargo and the Dome is well run. But you are looking at two different Universities. NDSU is a football school. Many will disagree but UND is a Hockey school.

They do what they are good at. The hockey team at UND sells 200k+ seats for home games(dropping the few non sellouts) a year. Last year NDSU didn't sellout two games but capacity is a little over 18k for 6 games MAX. UND hockey gets the same prices for 20 games for 11k people as NDSU gets for the 5-6 home games in a year.

In this area college Football can't run or control a facility. There isn't enough money for the facility.

It certainly could be management, I just think GF is a pretty small market, (97,190) compared even to Fargo (200,102) to be looking for big concerts. Whatever concerts we get here, I feel lucky due to the size of the market.

That said, if we can't get concerts, (for whatever reason), there must be attempts made by Venuworks to get other money making events to the Alerus.

You wouldn't think that the size difference in the two markets would be that big of a factor considering that the two markets are only 70 miles apart and they feed off each other, but, I'm sure market size is factored in, they have to have something to go by.

The total revenue generated from ticket sales for the year for Sioux home hockey games dwarfs the total ticket revenues for the 5 or 6 home games they have for football in Fargo. There isn't even a comparison.

Tell that to the buffoons over at Bisonville... :)

I would imagine there are 2 to 3 times as many people that pass through the gates for hockey in a typical year than pass through the gates for Bison football in a typical year in Fargo. I also think the average price for a Sioux hockey game is a lot higher than for a football game in Fargo. The 2 sports probably don't compare at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the details of this heating and cooling issue with The Alerus? I hate to be Negative Nelly all the time but....Come on Grand Forks Herald! This spin is ridiculous!

The headline, "Alerus Center Mulls Efficiency Upgrades". Huh? Spinning this into an efficiency upgrade story; are they serious? How about "Caustic Chemical Leaks in Alerus Could Cost $1.5M for Repairs".

The story says the problem has existed for 8 years. Was it initially done incorrectly? Is there a supplier/contractor liable for the HVAC issues? What are the hazardous effects of leaking glycol on the public? In fact, the story doesn't even clearly state what is leaking. That's part of the spin, I guess.

I believe the Herald is doing The Alerus a disservice by spinning all the reporting on the property.

Report the facts and let people form their own decisions.

"Efficiency Upgrade" story...that's pathetic! What are the facts?

All this negative publicity on the Alerus is going to make UND think twice about being associated with it. Maybe this can fast forward the timeline to upgrade Memorial Stadium.

What ever happen to the plan to update the Memorial stadium that was thrown out there a few years back.

• 4 weeks later...

I have actually heard rumors around the front offices that the university is going to tear down the Ralph and use the Alerus Center for hockey games as soon as next year

OMG!!!!!! Especailly when the university doesn't own the Ralph to begin with. :lol: