SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Season!

sioux_hockey

How do things look for next season. With the kind of talent that the Sioux have next year, they should be able to win the NCC. The Bison will be down next year also.

Who will be the main players besides Klostermann?

How many members of the secondary are back?

How many starters from last year will be back?

How many key players were lost?

I looked over the recruits redshirted last season and there are some excellent all-around atheletes in there.  Also, it was a very large incoming class, so it will be hard to say who gets the nod from Lennon to play this year.

UND loses a good portion of its scoring punch and its defensive stars, so I wouldn't predict that UND win the NCC.  However, they do bring Klosterman back and the offensive line will be big as always.

I figure NDSU will be stronger than they showed this year.  Their recruiting class from a year ago also looked great.

Defensively, I wonder how strong the Sioux will be.  They lost a couple of dominant seniors there.  There are just so many unknowns going into this Fall.

One thing is for certain...UND will be good.  How good is a huge question, but that question has loomed over Sioux football for years, and they finally got the first championship.

Go Sioux!

Not to put any added pressure on the boys, but they may be the last hope for a NC in calender year 2002.  This is important because the Sioux have had a national championship in every year since 1997.

1997 - Hockey & Women's BB

1998 - Women's BB

1999 - Women's BB

2000 - Hockey

2001 - Football

That aside, I look for improvement from the Bison for next year and see the battle between them and the Sioux for the conference crown.  The Bison failings this year were the result of inadequate senior leadership.  Yes, it was a talented group but, as a group, they underperformed and their absence, along with a very good redshirt class, will lead to a better Bison team.

I was worried about who would replace the senior receivers (Dan Graf and "Saint" Luke Schleussner), but I heard about a D-IAA transfer from Ball State (?) who supposedly is the real deal.

My concerns now are:

- the hot corner in the secondary, left CB (Riendeau's replacement)

- with no J-Perk, who'll carry the rock (how's Jim Miller's rehab coming?)

- how do you replace O'Neel and O'Neil down the middle of that defense?

Here is how the Sioux have back for next season:

On Defense:                 Year they will be next year

DE Eric Halverson            SR

NG Ross Brennan             SO

DE Ben Dixon                  SR

The Sioux will have all of it's D-lineman back!

The Sioux are losing 3 of their 4 linebackers: the only one returning is.

LB  Josh Kotelnicki           SR

The Sioux will lose 2 of their 4 defensive backs

SS Adam Stratton           JR

CB Dustin Thornburg        SR

The main keys will be linebackers and defensive backs!

Tom Maus has the most experience of the returning D-backs. Schwenzfeier and Miller return with the most game time at runningback, however, their is some significant potential and speed with the two redshirt freshmen and the sophomore Griffin. Look for Tom Irvin and Christofferson to have good years at linebacker. Yhe safety position will be wide open. By the way, at seasons end, Kotelnicki(who has one year of football eligibility left after being a medical redshirt in '00), indicated He will not be back next year. The o-line returns Olson, but Schneider has started off and on the past three years. I wonder if Wyoming transfer Murphy will continue to be played at tight end? Jeff Glas(Rich's son) will take over for Peterka without the team losing much,(I hear Jeff is within Two yards of Peterka's range right now.) NDSU has no passing game and an unproven running game at this time. They will have to improve a ton to be a contender. I look for UNC to push The Sioux and UNO for the Title.

Excuse my error regarding Tom Maus. What I meant to say, Tom Maus has the most experience of those trying to replace the graduated Craig Riendeau. Of course the Sioux have Thornburgh and Stratton as starters.One at corner and one at safety.

The schedule in the next several years, has gotten to be a big headache. With Morningside leaving, there is a big hole in the middle and end of the football schedule that is tough to fill. I hear the Sioux are trying to fill the hole with D-1AA games. Also, the conference, periodically, has to have schools play at the same venue two years in a row. Next year begins the two years in a row at ndsu. As far as positions and personel, spring ball will sort out alot of questions.

• 4 months later...

I have been checking some of the pre-season rankings by some FB publications ie. Lindy's, S&S, CBS and Don Hanson's. North Dakota rated anywhere from 4 to 11. The main negatives being graduation losses to o-line and at linebacker. Pre-season All-America projections to Ben Dixon(1st team) and Kelby Klosterman(2nd team). I see quite a few players have remained in Grand Forks this summer. Pre fall camp starts in a couple of weeks with 1st game a month away. Anybody aware of the rehab status of Brennan, Hermes, Miller and Nelson?

• 2 weeks later...
I have been checking some of the pre-season rankings by some FB publications ie. Lindy's, S&S, CBS and Don Hanson's. North Dakota rated anywhere from 4 to 11. The main negatives being graduation losses to o-line and at linebacker. Pre-season All-America projections to Ben Dixon(1st team) and Kelby Klosterman(2nd team). I see quite a few players have remained in Grand Forks this summer. Pre fall camp starts in a couple of weeks with 1st game a month away. Anybody aware of the rehab status of Brennan, Hermes, Miller and Nelson?

It doesn't seen like the Sioux are getting much respect in the the pre-season polls out so far, but then again those polls don't mean anything anyway. I will be interested in the NCC media and coaches polls, however. I imagine the NCC polls will be something like this:

1. UND

2. UNO

3. NDSU

4. UNC

5. St. Cloud

6. SDSU

7. Mankato

8. Augie

9. USD

UND is almost never picked to win in the pre-season for whatever reason. Regardless of the number of starters returning (or not returning), I would have a hard time picking any team other than UND as the favorite. UNO chokes almost every year, lacks discipline, and can't complete a pass to save their lives; NDSU has major issues at qb, rb, and play-calling; and UNC is 11-11 over the past two years and has trouble scoring points. The only questions I have for the Sioux are whether the new o-linemen can do the job (I believe they will), and whether the Sioux can win at least 2 of 3 at UNO, NDSU and UNC. If so, another NCC title is very possible.

Any predictions for who will be the starting running back for the Sioux? I personally am hoping for Riza Mahmoud, who red-shirted last year. He has some serious speed and put up huge numbers in high school at Champlain Park (MN).

Coming out of spring ball I thought I read that Aaron Schwenzfeier was the #1 back. I wasn't impressed with him last season when he filled in. I really liked Jim Miller but who knows how he'll be after the knee surgery. I expect we will see alot of guys getting their shot at rb through the first 3 games.

I have not personally seen the kid from Champlin Park play (Mahmoud), but since moving down here to the northern suburbs, I have spoken with guys who watched him play in high school. I've been told by knowledgeable HS football fans that he's really fun to watch. I was told by one observer that he was one of the best running backs he's seen in the nothern metro in quite some time. He evidently has all the tools to play at the DI level except for size. Many people down here are surprised that there has not been more buzz about him up in Grand Forks.

Coming out of spring ball I thought I read that Aaron Schwenzfeier was the #1 back.  I wasn't impressed with him last season when he filled in.  I really liked Jim Miller but who knows how he'll be after the knee surgery.  I expect we will see alot of guys getting their shot at rb through the first 3 games.

I read the same thing regarding Schwenzfeier but I am hoping that he is not really going to be the starter because I just don't think he's an NCC-caliber back. I'm sure he's a good kid, but he seems like a special teamer or deep reserve at running back at best based on what I've seen. Since he was the primary backup once Miller went down last year, I'm not surprised that he was named as the starter coming out of spring, but I have a feeling things will change once the real games start. Miller, Mahmoud and Chris Beatty all have better ability. I wonder if maybe Miller will be seeing some time at fullback this year?

This years team is being given the least amount of respect of any defending National Champion I have ever seen. On another board, d2 football.com., some fans are almost putting an asterisk on last years NC. (the fans I refer to are from GVSU, UCD and UNO.) I would guess the NCC pre-season poll will have the Coaches picking North Dakota as the favorite. The media poll will pick UNO. I see the O-line as being underestimated. Murphy, is a senior, with D-1 experience and has found a position(TE) where he can have success. Schneider is also a SR. who started many games since his freshmen year. Olson started last year as a sophomore. Dokken has been waiting his turn and appears ready to step into a starting role. Smith, a sophomore, is a physical specimen who also has been waiting his turn. Right Guard appears to be a position that may be up for a fight,however, Ryan Grant was listed as a starter during the spring. Running back is a situation with many provocative possibilities. Schwenzfeier is a hard worker who has yet to prove himself on game day. Maybe this is his year. Miller, busted out last year before the injury. Here's hoping he has a complete recovery. Coaches have refered to Beatty as a "Perk" clone. Apparently, he was more physically mature than Mahmoud last year,and thus, might have been able to take off the shirt when The Sioux were hurting for RB's last year. Mahmoud reminds me alot of Phillip Moore. I hope he has Phillip's durability. Your right Barker, North Dakota needs to win 2 of the 3 games with UNO, UNC and ndsu. However, beware of the two South Dakota trips.

If they can replace the corners in the secondary, the 2002 Fighting Sioux Football team will go as far as their offensive line can push. Those to me are the biggest questions. (Who's at running back doesn't matter if there aren't any holes.)

I actually think that the secondary will be strong. Thornburg at corner is probably as good as anyone in the conference. Stratton is a returning starter at free safety, and Copple has played a lot the past few years and should step in for O'Neil at strong safety. Ryan Manke is likely going to start at the other corner, and he's an outstanding athlete although unproven at this point. I know there were some freshman who red-shirted last year with good ability also, such as Josh Brandsted at safety, and Demetrius Charles and Jamaal Franklin at corner. Charles was either 2nd or 3rd in the 100 meters at the Minnesota State Meet his sr. year, and I believe Franklin was 3rd in the 100 at the Wisconsin State Meet so they definitely have the speed, anyway. Plus, the future looks pretty good as there's a kid coming in who was a first team all state corner in Colorado's large-school class, and Kurt Knoff's nephew (Tom DeSautel) who plays safety at about 6'5" and is quite an athlete also.