SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2010-11

AZSIOUX

i have never heard of a wcha team doing this. michigan tech takes advantage of a rule that you can travel over the summer once evrey four years to play. interesting.

tech goes overseas

chn news on tech

Though we're still in the dog days of August, the college hockey season has already started for one team. Michigan Tech is taking advantage of a rule that allows NCAA teams to travel overseas to play once every four years, and competing against some German and Austrian pro teams. It sounds like a fun trip, and it's something Michigan Tech plans on doing once every four years, so every player that goes to Tech gets to make the trip.

Man, the college season is long enough, not sure I'd want the Sioux to do this. Tech has nothing to lose though.

i have never heard of a wcha team doing this. michigan tech takes advantage of a rule that you can travel over the summer once evrey four years to play. interesting.

tech goes overseas

chn news on tech

Though we're still in the dog days of August, the college hockey season has already started for one team. Michigan Tech is taking advantage of a rule that allows NCAA teams to travel overseas to play once every four years, and competing against some German and Austrian pro teams. It sounds like a fun trip, and it's something Michigan Tech plans on doing once every four years, so every player that goes to Tech gets to make the trip.

It seems to me that UND did this several years ago. I would guess it was in the 80's or 90's. If I get a chance I may try to find it.

A bit of a blow to SCSU for this fall, with Soph forward David Eddy not eligible:

http://kvsc.org/sports.php#1482

He would have been the 5th highest returning scorer for them, but he seemed to come on strong for them as the season progressed.

He scored two goals against UND in the F5 Championship game last season.

Wow that is a huge blow to the Huskies.

A bit of a blow to SCSU for this fall, with Soph forward David Eddy not eligible:

http://kvsc.org/sports.php#1482

He would have been the 5th highest returning scorer for them, but he seemed to come on strong for them as the season progressed.

He scored two goals against UND in the F5 Championship game last season.

Is he available after x-mas?

Is it completion of school work or is it grades?

Wasn't Weslosky on the outs because of grades? BTW what ever happened to him?

I'm not sure, I'm just going off what the SCSU fans were saying on USCHO. They made it sound like he didn't make the GPA requirements or something. So I would assume that he just needs to either take a class over or get his GPA back up in order to become eligible again.

Weslosky transferred to Bemidji, and then wasn't on their roster for this year after his transfer year was over. Not sure where he's playing now.

He is a pretty good player. I would assume that midway through this semester he will either gain the eligbility or perhaps he heads to major juniors.

Thoughts?

I doubt that it would be before the end of the fall semester after he has received his fall grades. Grades during the semester don't improve your GPA until they are final.

• 1 month later...

Some new photos/blog about the BREC in Bemidji.

I drove by this Tuesday while in Bemidji. Looks really sharp from the outside. Parking is between the lake and first Street and looks like there is plenty but the last guy in the lot has about 2.5 blocks to walk on the black top.

Being from Fargo, my first thought was at least they have black top on all the lots. The UP didn't/doesn't.

I suppose you could park on the lake later in the season as well. :silly:

Q&A with Dean Blais

http://omaha.com/article/20100929/SPORTS/709299783

He mentions the Sioux a couple of times.

Q: You also have a nice little trip to Grand Forks, N.D., in January. Looking forward to seeing some old friends?

A: They will be the best team in college hockey. It will be a sold-out building. I know that for sure. They'll want to see North Dakota walk all over UNO and Dean Blais.

When North Dakota's here in November, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a sellout. That's the No. 1 team in college hockey, and we'll have a bunch of freshmen.

He also shares his thoughts on the Big 10 Hockey Conference.

• Upvote 1

Achorage loses defenseman Kane Lafranchise for the first semester due to academic ineligibility

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/id,18778/AnchorageDefensemanLafranchiseOutforFirstSemester.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+USCHOnews+%28USCHO.com+News%29

A team in the process of building its program takes a pretty big hit with this one considering Kane was their best offensive defenseman last year.

Achorage loses defenseman Kane Lafranchise for the first semester due to academic ineligibility

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/id,18778/AnchorageDefensemanLafranchiseOutforFirstSemester.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+USCHOnews+%28USCHO.com+News%29

A team in the process of building its program takes a pretty big hit with this one considering Kane was their best offensive defenseman last year.

That is a big loss because LaFranchise is a good hockey player.

It is 3-0 SCSU in the 2nd.

I was at the game. Final was 7-4 SCSU. Closer than the score indicates. SCSU scored 3 in the 3rd off of Manitoba's 2nd or 3rd goalie. Lee looked good in net for SCSU and Dunn looked terrible. They played all 3 goalies.

DU beat the U18 team 8-1 last night...Grimaldi had an assist on the lone USA goal.

Funny, now if you read up on some DU blogs, they are going to dominate just because they beat up on some 17 yo kids. :)

Heck, Chambers goes as far as to say that they are already in midseason form and that Zucker is unstoppable. :D

I really hope that we mop the floor with DU this year. ;)

DU beat the U18 team 8-1 last night...Grimaldi had an assist on the lone USA goal.

Funny, now if you read up on some DU blogs, they are going to dominate just because they beat up on some 17 yo kids. :)

Heck, Chambers goes as far as to say that they are already in midseason form and that Zucker is unstoppable. :D

I really hope that we mop the floor with DU this year. ;)

Oh god! Please don't tell me Chambers and DG already have the Checklist up?

I thought they learned their lesson last year.

Since I didn't see it mentioned, I thought I'd point out that there was one regular-season game already underway this past weekend in college hockey.

#4 ranked Michigan took on Mercyhurst and it started out as one would expect. Michigan went up 4-0 in the 2nd period, controlling most of the game. However, Mercyhurst pots a goal going into the 2nd intermission, than runs off 3 more goals in the 3rd period. The game ended in a 4-4 tie.