SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2010-11

AZSIOUX

I think everyone but the most unreasonable gopher fans agree this is the a very unusual late July phenomena going on in Minneapolis. And this on top of other Gopher players leaving under similar circumstances in the past few years leads me to ask: Is the problem in Gopherland that Lucia recruits this type of hockey player, or that these are all great loyal hockey players who become jaded and disillusioned with a lousy program, or does the blame lie elsewhere?

It depends, imo, who you are talking about.

There's nothing Lucia could have done differently to make the Chicago Blackhawks believe that Leddy wasn't ready. I think Leddy could have been on any DI or MJ team and he still would have signed.

As for Birkholz, again, Lucia isn't to blame for this one. You can't coach away off ice stupidity. Lucia did react and was prepared to suspend the moron for 7 games (though I heard 7 weeks which is twice that), so Lucia is off the hook on this one.

As for a fading program, I think this is a coaching issue but it isn't Lucia. Offensively, they've been in a downswing, sure, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad if their team D would have been worth anything. Defense is BY FAR AND AWAY the worst aspect of the Gophers. And it isn't talent. It's the system they play and the decisions made therein. Who makes the decisions on defense? John Hill. And if you argue about the wrong recruits, who recruits D for Minnesota? John Hill.

Lucia WILL lose his job next season if things continue and, imo, JOHN HILL will be the man that takes him down.

The next question would be: Do you go after Hastings in Omaha or do you do the stupidest thing in Gopher history and hire Hill?

There's nothing Lucia could have done differently to make the Chicago Blackhawks believe that Leddy wasn't ready. I think Leddy could have been on any DI or MJ team and he still would have signed.

As for Birkholz, again, Lucia isn't to blame for this one. You can't coach away off ice stupidity. Lucia did react and was prepared to suspend the moron for 7 games (though I heard 7 weeks which is twice that), so Lucia is off the hook on this one.

As for a fading program, I think this is a coaching issue but it isn't Lucia. Offensively, they've been in a downswing, sure, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad if their team D would have been worth anything. Defense is BY FAR AND AWAY the worst aspect of the Gophers. And it isn't talent. It's the system they play and the decisions made therein. Who makes the decisions on defense? John Hill. And if you argue about the wrong recruits, who recruits D for Minnesota? John Hill.

Lucia WILL lose his job next season if things continue and, imo, JOHN HILL will be the man that takes him down.

The next question would be: Do you go after Hastings in Omaha or do you do the stupidest thing in Gopher history and hire Hill?

Minnesota expends all their energy on recruiting the same small, skilled forwards that they don't have enough energy (i guess?) to recruit any defense, when really, their priorities are screwed up there. They have one D recruit slated to come in next year and none after that so I'd guess they'll be looking at doing that this season. (Looking at our D recruit(s), we'll probably be doing the same). I'm purely speculating.

Unless there are unforseen circumstances, Leddy will play in the AHL this year. It's obvious that Chicago wanted him in the AHL this year vs. UMTC - and Leddy and family agreed.

There is a track record for both UND and UMTC re: pro development.

If Leddy was skating with UND, I believe he stays for in soph. year.

Unless there are unforseen circumstances, Leddy will play in the AHL this year. It's obvious that Chicago wanted him in the AHL this year vs. UMTC - and Leddy and family agreed.

There is a track record for both UND and UMTC re: pro development.

If Leddy was skating with UND, I believe he stays for in soph. year.

i completely agree... chicago didn't seem to have a problem letting toews develop another year at und, and he turned out ok :D

i completely agree... chicago didn't seem to have a problem letting toews develop another year at und, and he turned out ok :D

I'm going to have to disagree a little with this. I think Leddy's signing is purely a salary cap issue. The Blackhawks are going to need all the cheap defenseman they can get. Whether he plays with the big boys or replaces someone in the AHL who does, Chicago needs to restock the shelves.

...but don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Leddy wouldn't be better prepared if he played for UND :)

I'm going to have to disagree a little with this. I think Leddy's signing is purely a salary cap issue. The Blackhawks are going to need all the cheap defenseman they can get. Whether he plays with the big boys or replaces someone in the AHL who does, Chicago needs to restock the shelves.

...but don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Leddy wouldn't be better prepared if he played for UND :D

I have to disagree with your take. They didn't sign Leddy to play this year in the NHL, so why sign him? If it was a salary issue, they could sign a proven NHL D man for the same money that could step in and play this year. I believe Chicago just thinks that they want to develop Leddy instead of leaving it to the UM program.

The gopher's goals against average, if I remember correctly, hasn't been that bad, or hasn't jumped that much in recent years. The offensive numbers on the other hand have plummeted. That may have something to do with the D's ability, and the offensive points the D have put up, but their issue has been putting the puck in the net.

Also, Chicago pushed Toews hard to sign after the summer camp between his frosh and soph seasons. That Toews came back didn't reflect so much Chicago's view of UND as it did Toews' view. Similarly, St. Louis wanted Oshie badly a year before he left. In those cases anyway, the extra year UND got wasn't because the NHL teams wanted another year of UND development, it was because the players themselves wanted to return, reflecting a pretty sound internal culture in the program.

Also, Chicago pushed Toews hard to sign after the summer camp between his frosh and soph seasons. That Toews came back didn't reflect so much Chicago's view of UND as it did Toews' view. Similarly, St. Louis wanted Oshie badly a year before he left. In those cases anyway, the extra year UND got wasn't because the NHL teams wanted another year of UND development, it was because the players themselves wanted to return, reflecting a pretty sound internal culture in the program.

Good point.

I would say that Oshie and Toews were both more NHL-ready than some guys that have left the Gophers like Leddy. So that might be a factor, as well.

However if I remember correctly both orgs were pleased to have both players come back another year at UND. So they weren't giving them an utlimatium.

IMO the Gophers have never been strong defensively. (yes, they have had some good defensemen, but not a good full defensive corp). They were strong offensively and maintained a high pressure offense that put the other team on its heels. A team on its heels has a difficult time generating any offense at all, and therefore your defensive numbers look good. Any game where their high pressure offense wasn't clicking, then they would struggle defensively. They would also struggle against teams with a high pressure offense. Now, their high pressure offense is no longer present and their weak defense is super exposed. If Kangas hadn't had a stellar second half of the year a few years ago, they would have had a horrible season. He saved their butt, despite their poor defense. Their attitude has always been offense first, and a good enough defense to get by. That is the opposite of what many teams do.

Let's not forget that the gophers used to make their living from the powerplay in the past. I always remember thinking that if the Sioux play the gophers 5 on 5 the Sioux most likely would come out on top. Last year it was the opposite, as the Sioux scored many goals on the powerplay. The margin between winning and losing right now in the WCHA is scoring one more special teams goal than your opponent. That's why if you have a quarterback on the powerplay like we had with Genoway, it is a huge difference maker. I like our skill guys this year, but let's face it, if a guy like Bjugstad or Haula can make an impact in their freshmen seasons on the powerplay, even with the departures, Minnesota could still be very competitive.

However if I remember correctly both orgs were pleased to have both players come back another year at UND. So they weren't giving them an utlimatium.

Are you implying the Hawks gave Leddy an ultimatum. THAT would be a huge indictment of the program in Minneapolis. :ohmy:

Are you implying the Hawks gave Leddy an ultimatum. THAT would be a huge indictment of the program in Minneapolis. :ohmy:

Garth Snow is the only moron.. I mean GM that would do such a thing.

I think Leddy was signed for three reasons:

1. Had a great prospect camp

2. Hawks need young talented D in the system asap due to projected salary increases and their current cap situation

3. Leddy is cheap compared to comparable players (playing style wise) already on the market.

Garth Snow is the only moron.. I mean GM that would do such a thing.

I think Leddy was signed for three reasons:

1. Had a great prospect camp

2. Hawks need young talented D in the system asap due to projected salary increases and their current cap situation

3. Leddy is cheap compared to comparable players (playing style wise) already on the market.

1a. Leddy was very, very willing to leave for the right $$ - Hawks did not want him playing another year at UMTC.

interesting article about the downfall in goofyland... he has some very valid points, but you can see the maroon and gold bleed out a little bit in his sympathy for both lucia and hill. still some very valid points.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2010/08/02_between.php

Read this response to the Wodon article, Tweeted by Roman Augustovitz, the gopher hockey writer for the Star Tribune, OUCH!:

Adam Wodon, managing editor and columnist for College Hockey News, has a column and a Q and A with Don Lucia. Basically he defends the Don

and says problems at U are same other teams have. Really? Wonder how many Gophers games Wodon saw last season? Did he see U have to rally

in third period to beat Bowling Green? Did he see U get shut out at home twice by Denver? Did he see Gophers not show up for first playoff game against North Dakota? Did he know The Don locked team out of their locker room for a week & sked morning practices to motiviate team? Players leaving early obviously hurt U, but coaches still have to get those left to play hard all the time. Gophs underachieved last season

We will see how the Leddy situation plays out. If Chicago plays him 10+ games it's clear they wanted him and the decision was a no-brainer. It also really depends what his incentives are. Some are easy and can add a decent amount the rookie max. Leddy would be foolish to turn those down if they were offered.

On the other hand if Chicago is simply going to give him a 1-9 game cup of coffee, the Leddy signed for basically ($90K) signing bonus, AHL salary ($65K), and the number of games he plays divided by 80 times the roughly $900K rookie max (maybe $90K). For that he gives up all leverage and can be stashed in the AHL as long as Chicago wants him there.

If Leddy truly has the goods, he could easily have signed upon the Gophers season closing and received most of that second offer excepting the AHL salary portion.

The Gophers should be able to compete with the second my two scenarios. I find it embarrassing that the "U" can't be attractive enough to keep players an extra season lately.

Here's a great Q&A with Lucia from CHN.

Lucia gives his answer about why Ambroz is not coming in, and it's a valid reason...no need to diss Lucia on that anymore. All-in-all, he seems like he's got his head straight but is getting screwed by his kids. The answer to that, though, is to not recruit the same type of kids anymore.

CHN: A recent article mentioned (17-year old blue chipper) Seth Ambroz as going back to junior, and other players switched commitments.

Lucia: There are reasons for different things, and no one asks me. That's what's bothersome. Ambroz couldn't get all of his high school classwork completed in time. He had no option but to return to junior for another season. ... But anyone can say anything, and then it gets repeated.

Link

Don't know if this is on another thread, but Mitch MacMillan, brother of 2011 Sioux recruit Mark MacMillan decomitted Northeastern and committed to St. Cloud according to the KVSC hockey twitter. Might be some nice battles there in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

i have never heard of a wcha team doing this. michigan tech takes advantage of a rule that you can travel over the summer once evrey four years to play. interesting.

tech goes overseas

chn news on tech

Though we're still in the dog days of August, the college hockey season has already started for one team. Michigan Tech is taking advantage of a rule that allows NCAA teams to travel overseas to play once every four years, and competing against some German and Austrian pro teams. It sounds like a fun trip, and it's something Michigan Tech plans on doing once every four years, so every player that goes to Tech gets to make the trip.