SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey 2010-11

AZSIOUX

UND is clearly the favorite to win the WCHA...

...but every year there seems to be a sleeper team that does well. Who do you think it will be this year? I think CC, UNO, and Minnesota could all surprise some people.

i have minnesota finishing 5-7. i like UNO and BSU to battle with them for those same 3 spots but can see UNO making a top 4 push tops but again i think they get a home ice spot. hell of a coaching staff that some gopher fans see to think will be coaching their team next fall :D i see scsu and umd making some noise and being top 4 teams

i have no clue on UW and DU always seem to be up there but man they lost a lot of key players. the dasher can recruit so im sure they will get home ice. i just cant see uaa, tech or mankato making much noise but thats why they play.

My Predicted WCHA Finish:

1. UND

2. SCSU

3. UMD

4. CC

5. UMN

6. DU

7. BSU

8. UW

9. UNO

10. MSUM

11. UAA

12. MTU

DU, UW, BSU, and UNO were the tough ones for me.

DU and UW both lost a ton, but it's still hard to drop them too far...you know that they'll still have talent.

And then with BSU and UNO, it's hard to predict how they will be affected by playing their first full season in the league.

I think the top 3 and the bottom 3 will be pretty close, maybe just switch around the positions.

My Predicted WCHA Finish:

1. UND

2. SCSU

3. UMD

4. CC

5. UMN

6. DU

7. BSU

8. UW

9. UNO

10. MSUM

11. UAA

12. MTU

DU, UW, BSU, and UNO were the tough ones for me.

DU and UW both lost a ton, but it's still hard to drop them too far...you know that they'll still have talent.

And then with BSU and UNO, it's hard to predict how they will be affected by playing their first full season in the league.

I think the top 3 and the bottom 3 will be pretty close, maybe just switch around the positions.

I dunno. I think Minnesota and CC is too high and DU and UW are too low even with their losses.

I predict:

1. UND

2. SCSU

3. UMD

4. DU

5. CC

6. UMN

7. UW

8. BSU

9. UNO

10. MSUM

11. UAA

12. MTU

UMN could even end up as far down as 7th. BSU could end up as far up as 6th. UW will drop for sure as their defense suffers and their goatending is exposed as what it really is: medicore at best. Then again, UW has hit a lull in goaltending. They struck gold with Elliott and Bruckler but they've been pretty silent since then.

Great to have Omaha and Bemidji joining the league, and will be fun to christen two new arenas this season!

I might get proven wrong, but I suspect that both of these schools are going to be perennial bottom half teams, with the occasional top half finish. Bemidj is now competing head to head with UND, UMD, UM, and SCSU for talent. This will not end well for them...

I might get proven wrong, but I suspect that both of these schools are going to be perennial bottom half teams, with the occasional top half finish. Bemidj is now competing head to head with UND, UMD, UM, and SCSU for talent. This will not end well for them...

it will take time for bemidji with the recruiting but it had to start at some point and it had to be in the wcha in able it to reach new heights. i think both can battle for the last home ice spot but who knows how it will turn out. bemidji hung with the middle of the wcha when they played wcha teams the last 4 years but now its the next step for them competing every weekend vs the best in the country. look forward to seeing the progrm continue to grow and to the new look wcha with blais behind a bench!

Given that its the WCHA and anything can happen...this is my prediction: UND, UW, UAA, BSU, MTU, MSU-M, UMD, SCSU, CC, DU, UNO, and UM will finish anywhere from 1st to 12th place. At least one team that we don't think will get it, will get home ice in playoffs. At least one team that we don't think will get to it, will get to the Final Five. And finally at least one team that we don't think will make the tournament, will make the tournament.

You might be proven a "little" wrong.

Here are some things to consider;

UNO-

Showed a serious commitment to a high end program by scoring Blais. They have been on an up swing the last couple years already. They have kick ass attendence numbers. If I wanted to play in the WCHA in front of a crowd. I would be thinking if not UND or Wisconsin then UNO would be right there with UofM.

Bemidji-

recent frozen four.

Rich history.

good coach.

Nice new arena and lots of fan energy to boot.

Either or both could suprise I think.

You said it in your post. They will be competing with those schools where before they weren't even in the same conversation. They will be able to boast about their challenging schedule to high-end recruits that are looking for that.

Just my take on it, though.

Bemidji-

recent frozen four.

Rich history.

good coach.

Nice new arena and lots of fan energy to boot.

Either or both could surprise I think.

I played in the Galen Nagle golf tourney in Bemidji last Friday and BSU head coach Tom Serratore is a class act, great guy.

When I was leaving the banquet after the tourney he personally thanked me for playing in their tourney, I said, no thank

you for letting me play. I ended up talking to him for a bit and he said he wished UND and BSU could play four times a year.

I bet it would be fun to play hockey for a guy like him, he is intense and an energetic person. BSU is in good hands same with UNO.

The won a D2 National Championship.

Not quite as impressive as BSU who has something like 13 national championships in D2 and D3.

13 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1986, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997

I mean obviously their titles aren't division one titles but they aren't some second rate program either.

I think BSU will bring a lot to the table.

I don't know for sure, but from my observations of watching BSU play UND, they play a style that would be very compatible with the WCHA. They don't thug it up or slow the game down really.

I think BSU will be the sleeper team this year.

I might be the only UND fan to say this, but... I hope Lucia does well enough to keep his job in Minny but poor enough to fire Hill's ass.

per hammyhockey twitter (gpl guy and gopher fan in the know)

Multiple sources tell me that a Gopher forward will be suspended. Not gonna say why other than it is not good behavior away from the rink.

I don't know what this means for the future of the player. Word has it that the NHL team with his rights don't want him sitting out.

Which may mean he goes WHL to keep playing. I don't believe any decisions have been made yet on his end though

per hammyhockey twitter (gpl guy and gopher fan in the know)

Multiple sources tell me that a Gopher forward will be suspended. Not gonna say why other than it is not good behavior away from the rink.

I don't know what this means for the future of the player. Word has it that the NHL team with his rights don't want him sitting out.

Which may mean he goes WHL to keep playing. I don't believe any decisions have been made yet on his end though

that means it could possibly be only two players as hoeffell and white are the only forwards who have been drafted.