SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I do wonder if Lucia will still try to convince him to go to Minnesota, since in all practicality, the gentleman's WCHA agreement will be over after they leave next year.

I don't think that Lucia wants to go down that road, what's to say that Hak couldn't turn around and do the same thing to Donny's recruits as well.

The Gophers are doing just fine in the recruiting field minus the last few top Minny kids that all chose a ND school :) Win some lose some , just glad he will be in gf!! Does his dad end up wearing some green and white gear? Should be a fun trash talking Xmas in the Broten home :)

The Gophers are doing just fine in the recruiting field minus the last few top Minny kids that all chose a ND school :) Win some lose some , just glad he will be in gf!! Does his dad end up wearing some green and white gear? Should be a fun trash talking Xmas in the Broten home :)

Exactly, you can't get em all. The Gophers recruiting lately has been off the charts which helps soften this blow. Obvioulsy though I was still hoping, and expecting him to be a Gopher.

Exactly, you can't get em all. The Gophers recruiting lately has been off the charts which helps soften this blow. Obvioulsy though I was still hoping, and expecting him to be a Gopher.

Yeah and least you aren't trying to spin why he didn't end up in dinkytown. The kid can flat out play hockey and is a big time prospect and as mentioned in a article his bloodlines were basically maroon and gold so definitely a suprise. gopher fans should be bummed a bit. Lke we said, you can't get them all

Poor kid is going to take a 4 on 1 beatdown at Christmas, until mom has heard enough...that will end it.

I think Mariucci's post was dripping with sarcasm

Is that why my keyboard is all slimy? :)

It really is a surprise given his background, but that is one of the things that we all love about college hockey. Nothing is a sure bet in this game. Anyone, at any time, can . . . . . .

They didn't want him. He _________________________________________ (insert phony excuse here)

The amount of Gersich bashing on GPL is hilarious. He commits somewhere other than MN and suddenly...

'he's only a sophomore... huge gamble, probably won't pan out'

'he's not that great. X, Y, Z player is better'

'his health is a concern... he has concussion issues and a nagging shoulder injury'

'Hurley was a big loss. Gersich, not so much'

'I saw him play a couple weeks ago and I wasn't that impressed'

And on and on...

I understand being disappointed that he chose to play at a rival school, but come on. Nearly everyone on that board subscribes to the Hammy School of Thinking to make themselves feel better.

Is Gersich guaranteed to be a great college player? No, but the same can be said about ANY college hockey recruit.

• Upvote 2

@MissSioux:

Gopher fans are notorious for making comments like that after not getting a player they wanted. It's amazing how some of them act when a player they want commits elsewhere. Talk about a coping mechanism.

You don't see UND fans belittling recruits that pick Minnesota over UND.

@MissSioux:

Gopher fans are notorious for making comments like that after not getting a player they wanted. It's amazing how some of them act when a player they want commits elsewhere. Talk about a coping mechanism.

You don't see UND fans belittling recruits that pick Minnesota over UND.

I saw this one on the high school board "I didn't realize he was such a fan of attacking people in handshake lines and underage drinking."

Now that's classy.

I realize it's hard to comprehend why someone would not want to attend the most amazing academic institution to ever be created, but really? Accept his decision and move on. Don't just trash a kid you probably have never met because you don't like his decision.

The Gophers had won the last I don't know how many recruiting battles. It was at least 5 in a row. They need to get a grip.

I saw this one on the high school board "I didn't realize he was such a fan of attacking people in handshake lines and underage drinking."

That's funny. I'm not defending the Blood handshake deal because that was ridiculous, but I guess clubbing people in the back of their head with sticks (Lucia) and choking people out with sticks (Cepis) is considered more acceptable.

And as far as underage drinking...in college...guess what?

That's funny. I'm not defending the Blood handshake deal because that was ridiculous, but I guess clubbing people in the back of their head with sticks (Lucia) and choking people out with sticks (Cepis) is considered more acceptable.

And as far as underage drinking...in college...guess what?

THIS.

Kind of going away from this topic though, I actually penciled Gersich in as a Gopher about a year ago, so I haven't been paying too much attention to him this year. But after his commitment, I understand his wanting to play for UND. The U of M doesn't appeal to everyone. He's from a smaller suburb (Chaska is about 20,000), and goes to a small private school practically out of the metro. Honestly, I think people from smaller communities often feel more comfortable at schools like UND. That's how I felt. The U was too overwhelming and huge for me. And look at some of the current players/recruits we have. A lot of them come from either smaller towns or smaller schools.

Kind of going away from this topic though, I actually penciled Gersich in as a Gopher about a year ago, so I haven't been paying too much attention to him this year. But after his commitment, I understand his wanting to play for UND. The U of M doesn't appeal to everyone. He's from a smaller suburb (Chaska is about 20,000), and goes to a small private school practically out of the metro. Honestly, I think people from smaller communities often feel more comfortable at schools like UND. That's how I felt. The U was too overwhelming and huge for me. And look at some of the current players/recruits we have. A lot of them come from either smaller towns or smaller schools.

My dad said this same thing to me, he went to the University of Minnesota (he's from Richfield MN). He said if he was one of these kids that are good enough to play college hockey, he would have gone to North Dakota because of the size of the campus. Now if I was as good as Shane Gersich when I played I would have chose North Dakota or similer size school. Instead i decided to spend about six years in the U.S. Navy. When it came to college's for me, I chose Montana State because of their engineering program (I grew up in Bismarck). Now back on topic.

Minnesota Golden Gophers can go pound sand... Enough said.

If it was the other way around they would be telling us how great a player Gersich is and we really missed out on a good one. I pin it on self preservation mode on the part of gopher fans.

Minnesota Golden Gophers can go pound sand... Enough said.

If it was the other way around they would be telling us how great a player Gersich is and we really missed out on a good one. I pin it on self preservation mode on the part of gopher fans.

I'm perfectly content that they are angry.

There's a reason the majority of our players they rip on are from Minnesota.

The levels of hipocracy and delusional thinking that comes out of the goofer fan is epic.

I can not imagine what the world must look like when viewed through the glasses of maroon and gold..

I watch hockey, a lot of hockey. when u watch the gooffers the level of chippy crap cheap cheap shots , diving, is epic...it's not just against the Sioux it's everybody. Watch some hockey east teams and most ofthe teams in hockey you just dont see it.

There is a huge difference in playing physical though the whistles and the arrogant crap you watch from the UMtc, and the Homeristic howling of their presentation exasperates it ten fold.

So when I hear seethingly jealous comments about Sioux being (fill in the blank....older, Canadian, drunk, too tough, hicks, ) or cracks about the handshake, or whining about losing a recruit......it makes, as others said literally sick. I don't understand it.

I guess I wouldn't wish Ill will to a JT Miller, Seth Jones, or someone who chose the U over the Sioux. But to slander , defame and ridicule a kid.....fifteen....twenty it doesn't matter...it's disgusting......and it's ugly.

Sometimes I like to slip up behind a goofer fan and softly whisper in its ear........parise......just to watch it squirm seeth and foam at the mouth.

• Upvote 2

I think they conveniently forget about the issues they have. Haula had his incident with underage drinking and to the best of my knowledge didn't have to sit out a game. Wasn't Connor Reilly injured at a team party? Didn't Reinholz leave the team because he didn't want to sit out for his pot usage? Don't even get started on Nate Hagemo. Bottom line is stuff like that happens everywhere, so don't be so hypocritical. We know how they hate overage Canadians, but how do they feel about overage Minnesotans who play hockey in Canada and then miss an entire season from getting injured at a team party?