SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

3 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

My son watched him play some games for the Force recently. He said he didn't handle the physical stuff real well.

He is smaller, but that's like saying Johnny hockey doesn't handle physicality well. At that size (5.7) he's going need to use skill and speed. He's playing great so far in the USHL, including the playoff run when he wasn't a top 6 forward. Nearly averaging a point per game. Not a bad start for limited action. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AJS said:

I would be shocked if Senden ever ends up on campus.

Although 2019/20 class is loaded now, Senden is a defensive forward, so the numbers don't shine like some other recruits.  He's a winner and has now captained a HS championship and USHL championship. Coming in a little later won't hurt at all. Reminds me of Connor Gaarder. 

7 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Although 2019/20 class is loaded now, Senden is a defensive forward, so the numbers don't shine like some other recruits.  He's a winner and has now captained a HS championship and USHL championship. Coming in a little later won't hurt at all. Reminds me of Connor Gaarder. 

So a gem for interviews then? Haha

17 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

We’ll see, I just don’t see the math adding up for there being a spot for him. 

8 hours ago, AJS said:

Based on numbers a lot of people were thinking that Jackson Keane would be the odd man out, so you never know.   The coaches aren't just looking at numbers, in fact I would guess the coaches would laugh at all the speculation on these boards that are based on numbers and hearsay.  We'll just have to trust their judgement.  I guess time will tell how things shake out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AJS said:

Keane is coming in this year.  Senden provides depth, pk and is a proven winner. I hope we still bring him in.

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

Based on numbers a lot of people were thinking that Jackson Keane would be the odd man out, so you never know.   The coaches aren't just looking at numbers, in fact I would guess the coaches would laugh at all the speculation on these boards that are based on numbers and hearsay.  We'll just have to trust their judgement.  I guess time will tell how things shake out. 

I can almost guarantee this (bolded) is the case!

I'm no NHL scout, but I've seen Senden play approx 30 games, and never once wondered if he was good enough to play at UND.  Would I like to see him score more?  Of course, I cheer for the Force and all goals are good goals ;)  but there's more to the game than that.  For instance, he just won the Tom Clifford Leadership and Dedication Award for last season.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

A lot can change between this year and next and nobody will disagree that there are factors other than numbers that come into play when bringing a player in. This is all pure speculation and like you said, time will tell.

Things I believe:

• 4 Forward spots available because of graduation (moving Johnson back to defense to cover for Shaw)
  • Nobody jumps out as an early departure

Wrote about the 4 Forwards who will be True Freshman (Rizzo, Blaisdell, Mancinelli, Caulfield) all with two years of junior experience. Given how they did as 16 year olds in juniors, Rizzo, Mancinelli & Blaisdell will all increase their totals significantly this year, that's a guarantee, barring injury. Caulfield will probably keep his point total steady. These are all high end guys who will have played two years in juniors. Is the coaching staff going to risk losing anyone of those 4 by pushing them back another year? I don't think so.

Those 4 forwards take up the four Senior spots, now you still need room for Randklev as well. If Donovan goes high in the draft (possibility), it's possible we could have another JBD situation.

It's the summer, so it's fun to speculate. You need a mix of players, but when push comes to shove, I don't see the coaching staff losing out on a potential high end forward by making them wait, to make room for Senden.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

I can almost guarantee this (bolded) is the case!

I'm no NHL scout, but I've seen Senden play approx 30 games, and never once wondered if he was good enough to play at UND.  Would I like to see him score more?  Of course, I cheer for the Force and all goals are good goals ;)  but there's more to the game than that.  For instance, he just won the Tom Clifford Leadership and Dedication Award for last season.

I am a big stats guy.  Always have been and I get fascinated with how players stats trend from one league to another (as they age).  I have followed senden relatively closely and I can tell you there’s most likely a good reason why the coaches wanted him to go back another year.  The ushl is a very tough league however senden can clearly use another year to continue to develop more on the offensive side of the puck. Some players never do (they hit a ceiling) however he has one year of eligibility left and he should definitely use it. College will get no easier.

5 hours ago, AJS said:

A lot can change between this year and next and nobody will disagree that there are factors other than numbers that come into play when bringing a player in. This is all pure speculation and like you said, time will tell.

Things I believe:

• 4 Forward spots available because of graduation (moving Johnson back to defense to cover for Shaw)
  • Nobody jumps out as an early departure

Wrote about the 4 Forwards who will be True Freshman (Rizzo, Blaisdell, Mancinelli, Caulfield) all with two years of junior experience. Given how they did as 16 year olds in juniors, Rizzo, Mancinelli & Blaisdell will all increase their totals significantly this year, that's a guarantee, barring injury. Caulfield will probably keep his point total steady. These are all high end guys who will have played two years in juniors. Is the coaching staff going to risk losing anyone of those 4 by pushing them back another year? I don't think so.

Those 4 forwards take up the four Senior spots, now you still need room for Randklev as well. If Donovan goes high in the draft (possibility), it's possible we could have another JBD situation.

It's the summer, so it's fun to speculate. You need a mix of players, but when push comes to shove, I don't see the coaching staff losing out on a potential high end forward by making them wait, to make room for Senden.

Randklev could be pushed back a year too. 

27 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Randklev could be pushed back a year too. 

I could see Blaisdell as well, and would guess Donovan will need another year of juniors as well.  Is he planning on playing for Duluth East his senior season next year?   

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I could see Blaisdell as well, and would guess Donovan will need another year of juniors as well.  Is he planning on playing for Duluth East his senior season next year?   

Donavon has serious size though...and skates well.  It will depend how he does before and after the HS season.  Could be picked in the top 3 rounds next year if he does well in the ushl.

Reported here and elsewhere,  UND Fighting _ _ _ _ _ (insert fav nickname) just signed the top recruiting class in NCAA hockey for next year. That, along with an outstanding nucleus of returnees....led by a dedicated and talented coaching staff...should make UND the prohibitive favorite to win the 2019 Ice Hockey nationals.  Should be an outstanding year at the epitome of venues in collegiate hockey.

10 minutes ago, John W. said:

Reported here and elsewhere NO, IT WASN'T,  UND Fighting _ _ _ _ _ (insert fav nickname) just signed the top recruiting class in NCAA hockey for next year NO, THEY'RE NOT. That, along with an outstanding nucleus of returnees MEH....led by a dedicated and talented coaching staff...should make UND the prohibitive favorite NOPE to win the 2019 Ice Hockey nationals.  Should be an outstanding year at the epitome of venues I DON'T THINK THAT WORD MEANS WHAT YOU THINK IT MEANS, BUT THE ARENA IS THE NICEST IN COLLEGE HOCKEY in collegiate hockey.

Just trying to be positive as I was 'instructed ' to become....Are you attempting to be negative?????  And I   know what epitome means...but thanks anyway!!!!  I'll compare degrees with you sometime....anytime/anywhere....

48 minutes ago, John W. said:

Just trying to be positive as I was 'instructed ' to become....Are you attempting to be negative?????  And I   know what epitome means...but thanks anyway!!!!  I'll compare degrees with you sometime....anytime/anywhere....

Lots of compensating going on here--must be tiny. 

53 minutes ago, John W. said:

Just trying to be positive as I was 'instructed ' to become NO, YOU WEREN'T....Are you attempting to be negative?????  And I   know what epitome means...but thanks anyway!!!!  I'll compare degrees with you sometime....anytime/anywhere....