SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

8 hours ago, burd said:

My fault, guys, for not using a smiley, but does anybody really think a person could make such a cliche and overbroad statement as I did above and be doing anything but making fun of us all.  60 full minutes and crisp passes???  

I get it now, but after last season this is exactly where we are weak.  It would not have needed a smiley a few years ago, but now?????

Incredible job by the coaching staff, Rizzo is a legitimate cornerstone / #1 guy in a recruiting class.

Never too early to speculate, but I'd be interesting to see how the '19 class plays out. You have the following groups:

• '01 Draft eligible (Seniors): Rizzo, Mancinelli, Blaisdell & Caulfield: This group will all be true freshman with two years of junior experience. Based on their first year, which were all successful in varying degrees, I don't think you'd be able to push anyone back another year.
  • Senior (HS): Donovan: A lot will depend on how high he gets drafted, he has all the tools / size.
  • +1: Randklev: Seemed to adapt well in his short stint last year, would only need one more year.
  • Other: Senden: Would have to come in

I realize there are other guys, but I count 7 that I don't think you could push back. Four seniors (3 F 1 D), I think they move Johnson back to Defense for his Senior year, which would take Shaw's spot opening up 4 forward roster spots. I'd also be shocked with the stock pile of recruits they have if Senden ever makes it to campus. That leaves 6 eligible forwards, Donovan is the most likely to push back, which would leave 5. They'd be a pretty good spot with that.

A '19 recruiting class of Rizzo, Mancinelli, Blaisdell, Caulfied & Randklev would be a surefire Top 3 class (most likely #1).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

Incredible job by the coaching staff, Rizzo is a legitimate cornerstone / #1 guy in a recruiting class.

Never too early to speculate, but I'd be interesting to see how the '19 class plays out. You have the following groups:

• '01 Draft eligible (Seniors): Rizzo, Mancinelli, Blaisdell & Caulfield: This group will all be true freshman with two years of junior experience. Based on their first year, which were all successful in varying degrees, I don't think you'd be able to push anyone back another year.
  • Senior (HS): Donovan: A lot will depend on how high he gets drafted, he has all the tools / size.
  • +1: Randklev: Seemed to adapt well in his short stint last year, would only need one more year.

I realize there are other guys, but I count 7 that I don't think you could push back. Four seniors (3 F 1 D), I think they move Johnson back to Defense for his Senior year, which would take Shaw's spot opening up 4 forward roster spots. I'd also be shocked with the stock pile of recruits they have if Senden ever makes it to campus. That leaves 6 eligible forwards, Donovan is the most likely to push back, which would leave 5. They'd be a pretty good spot with that.

A '19 recruiting class of Rizzo, Mancinelli, Blaisdell, Caulfied & Randklev would be a surefire Top 3 class (most likely #1).

When does Kleven come in?

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

No. 1 with a bullet. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 10:02 AM, burd said:

You guys act all giddy like blue chippers are all that matter.  I say they need players who will play a full 60 minutes and use crisp short passes. 

They all seem to play for Vegas. ;) 

The Defense today (assuming JBD is coming this fall): 

Shaw
Poolman
Peski
Bast
Rieger
Kierstad
Tychonick
JBD

I suspect a year from now (summer 2019) Shaw and Poolman (early) will be gone. In that case you bring in Ethan Frisch to learn and battle for the 6/7 slot. 

The move after that is where it gets interesting. Miller? Reid? They're both 2001 DOBs. Move Johnson back to open a slot up front again? 

If Poolman stays, well, that's a whole other list of options. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Defense today (assuming JBD is coming this fall): 

Shaw
Poolman
Peski
Bast
Rieger
Kierstad
Tychonick
JBD

I suspect a year from now (summer 2019) Shaw and Poolman (early) will be gone. In that case you bring in Ethan Frisch to learn and battle for the 6/7 slot. 

The move after that is where it gets interesting. Miller? Reid? They're both 2001 DOBs. Move Johnson back to open a slot up front again? 

If Poolman stays, well, that's a whole other list of options. 

Miller and Reid are both 01's, but late 01's. Unless they graduate a year early, they would both only be Juniors in HS next year. Currently, the only D-man they have that would be eligible to come in with the class of '19 would be Frisch. I would think Frisch would play a year in the USHL after his Senior year.

They way I see it, it makes too much sense given the stock pile of high end '19 forwards, that Johnson moves back to defense to cover for Shaws loss. All eyes from then are on Poolman, if he leaves, bring in Frisch. I'm not sold on Poolman being gone after next year.

Class '19: Frisch (If Poolman goes)

Class '20: Kleven, Miller & Reid (loaded class with 2, 2 & 3 years of junior experience) all being true freshman. If Poolman stays his Senior year, you have 3 Senior D-man leaving after '19. Frisch comes in that year if that's the case bringing in 4 Freshman and most likely one of the current non-Seniors leave.

Like with the '19 Forward class, the '20 Defensive class is going to not only be elite, but have a lot of Junior experience while being true freshman. 

This roster is about to get younger and younger and more and more talented in the next couple years. 

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

I've never liked Neutral Zones ratings, I think they have people to high or to low.

I actually really like the ratings. I have found them decently accurate from a prospecting tool (obviously it's just one perspective from scouting standpoint).  It gives us some Benchmark similar to a ESPN or 247 in football/basketball. 

It's also helpful to lay the blue chipper argument aside. To realistically see where North Dakota is at in recruiting when compared to other schools.

Only hurdle that I see is the fact that a lot of times ratings are given when a player is young before they truly mature. A player rated a 4-star at age 15 might be a borderline 3-star at 18.  Luckily they do update and change their ratings and evaluations. And they also don't rate a player they haven't seen in person play which is huge.

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Poolman will return for his senior year unless he’s “step into the NHL” ready by the end of next year like Tucker was, IMO. 

Agreed.

Why I'm optimistic:

• There was zero hesitation to return this year.
  • Two year Captain
  • Tucker

Tucker made the right choice by leaving, but even with this skill set wasn't an "every dayer" in the NHL his first year. A lot can happen this year and if Colton makes another jump, then who knows, but right now, I'd bet on him returning.

It's nice going into next year without a guaranteed "he's leaving early after this year" candidate.

Back in December, I got to see Randklev and Moorhead play against Minnetonka and this kid is good. He's very fast and gets to the open ice quickly. 

I think he could be a game breaker. 

14 hours ago, Goon said:

Back in December, I got to see Randklev and Moorhead play against Minnetonka and this kid is good. He's very fast and gets to the open ice quickly. 

I think he could be a game breaker. 

Only knock I can put on Randklev: He makes Rocco Grimaldi seem big and bulky. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If his playing style is anything like Rocco's, I just hope he is paired with guys who can see his passes coming. 

38 minutes ago, burd said:

If his playing style is anything like Rocco's, I just hope he is paired with guys who can see his passes coming. 

There was no forward on the roster that was at Rocco’s level when he was here. Finding linemates for him was an ongoing issue then. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My son watched him play some games for the Force recently. He said he didn't handle the physical stuff real well.