SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

38 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Weatherby still putting up video game numbers in the BC playoffs 

Yeah, 10 points clear of the next guy in playoff scoring, and that guy played in 4 more games.  Hopefully it translates to NCAA hockey, and it wouldn’t hurt to be sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Yeah, 10 points clear of the next guy in playoff scoring, and that guy played in 4 more games.  Hopefully it translates to NCAA hockey, and it wouldn’t hurt to be sooner rather than later. 

He’s a big kid that can skate.  Never a bad combo.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, tnt said:

With his frame, he'll translate quickly.  It was nice to see Kawaguchi come on strong towards the end of the year; he tore up the BCHL last year too. 

I've read some people criticizing our incoming class; we have a top 5 class in my opinion, including two potential first round defensemen (Assuming JBD comes).  I assume we'll see Jacob Bernard-Docker this coming year, being a first rounder. From my memory I think Dillon Simpson came in at 17 to UND or close to it.    

Hak / Berry / Jackson over the past 15 years have developed the art of high end skilled players with 4 year type guys. You need that depth to compete consistently year in and year out. 

51 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

With his frame, he'll translate quickly.  It was nice to see Kawaguchi come on strong towards the end of the year; he tore up the BCHL last year too. 

I've read some people criticizing our incoming class; we have a top 5 class in my opinion, including two potential first round defensemen (Assuming JBD comes).  I assume we'll see Jacob Bernard-Docker this coming year, being a first rounder. From my memory I think Dillon Simpson came in at 17 to UND or close to it.    

Hak / Berry / Jackson over the past 15 years have developed the art of high end skilled players with 4 year type guys. You need that depth to compete consistently year in and year out. 

JBD will be 18 next year 

I’m just going to caution about placing unfair expectations on any freshman coming in, but in particular Weatherby. I thought everyone put unfair expectations on Kawaguchi and half this board was calling him a bust by Christmas. 

I actually heard Kawaguchi on a BCHL podcast yesterday and he characterized his start to the season as “bumpy.” 

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

JBD will be 18 next year 

Correct, 17 currently...that's why most websites have him starting at UND in '19 because of his later birthday.  Which he would be 19 yrs old and a first round draft pick?!  We'd only get a year or so from him.   My whole point is that if possible we should accelerate.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Correct, 17 currently...that's why most websites have him starting at UND in '19 because of his later birthday.  Which he would be 19 yrs old and a first round draft pick?!  We'd only get a year or so from him.   My whole point is that if possible we should accelerate.  

Why are we assuming a) he’s going to be a first round draft pick and b) that he’d be here 1 year? 

I just don’t see him going first round... 

He may be on campus in the fall, or he may not. It’s still being decided. 

24 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Why are we assuming a) he’s going to be a first round draft pick and b) that he’d be here 1 year? 

I just don’t see him going first round... 

He may be on campus in the fall, or he may not. It’s still being decided. 

Of course it's still being decided. That's the discussion. 

He's ranked now #22, according to ISS Hockey now. Of course all this is assumptions, but if he goes in the first and doesn't come in '18, he'll be a first rounder starting college at 19. Most first rounders don't last over two years in college nowdays starting at 18. If we get 2 season out of him, he'd be 21 at that point (assuming starting at '19).     

Dante Fabbo is a good comparison, late season birthday and BU might get 3 years out of him by bringing him in at 18.   Now JBD won't go as high, but NHL teams push there prospects to sign earlier and earlier.  If he's a first rounder, wouldn't you want him here earlier? I sure would. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247041 

18 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Of course it's still being decided. That's the discussion. 

He's ranked now #22, according to ISS Hockey now. Of course all this is assumptions, but if he goes in the first and doesn't come in '18, he'll be a first rounder starting college at 19. Most first rounders don't last over two years in college nowdays starting at 18. If we get 2 season out of him, he'd be 21 at that point (assuming starting at '19).     

Dante Fabbo is a good comparison, late season birthday and BU might get 3 years out of him by bringing him in at 18.   Now JBD won't go as high, but NHL teams push there prospects to sign earlier and earlier.  If he's a first rounder, wouldn't you want him here earlier? I sure would. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247041 

I guess my point was that while ISS has him high, Central Scouting had him at 62nd among just North American skaters. And Mock drafts had him around 58th pick. That’s a big difference, so that’s why I don’t think he’ll go in the first round. We’ll see how the draft goes. 

I think we’ll know if he’s coming in the fall once his season ends. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I guess my point was that while ISS has him high, Central Scouting had him at 62nd among just North American skaters. And Mock drafts had him around 58th pick. That’s a big difference, so that’s why I don’t think he’ll go in the first round. We’ll see how the draft goes. 

I think we’ll know if he’s coming in the fall once his season ends. 

Agreed.  But ISS is solid.  Whether he’s a first/second rounder he’s going to have to come in this year. A third may be able to push back a year.  But not a 1/2.

12 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  But ISS is solid.  Whether he’s a first/second rounder he’s going to have to come in this year. A third may be able to push back a year.  But not a 1/2.

Pretty much this, the way he's sky rocketed up the rankings (regardless if he's a first, second or third), there's no way he plays juniors next year (or should he).

What a good problem to have for Berry and Company, a strong D-core as is, plus adding two (at worst) third round picks.

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

Final Central Scouting Rankings (North American Skaters)

33. JBD

36. Tychonick

104. Hain

Based purely on draft rankings, JBD and Tychonick would be the 2nd and 3rd ranked incoming D-man in next years class.

Weatherby is on there late as well. JBD is coming in this year.

poolman-JBD

Bast-Tychonik

Shaw-Peski/kiersted. That’s a deep core.  Kind of feel bad for Shaw/peski/kiersted.  One of them will sit most nights after playing a ton last year.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

Final Central Scouting Rankings (North American Skaters)

33. JBD

36. Tychonick

104. Hain

Based purely on draft rankings, JBD and Tychonick would be the 2nd and 3rd ranked incoming D-man in next years class.

Love this... Solid incoming recruiting class. Neutral zone doesn't have us in the top ten, but doesn't consider JBD a '18 recruit. They also have heavy weights towards quantity, not as much on quality.  

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

With the way Weatherby has dominated and his size, not sure why a team wouldn't draft him. I know he had injury issues early on I believe last year.

I get when they're overagers and small. But the NHL draft in years past seems to put a lot of weight on size, pun intended.. 

42 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

poolman-JBD

Bast-Tychonik

Shaw-Peski/kiersted. That’s a deep core.  Kind of feel bad for Shaw/peski/kiersted.  One of them will sit most nights after playing a ton last year.

Don't know if they are right or left handed, but I would guess since Tychonick is more offensive minded than JBD, they might put him with Poolman.  This would allow Bast to play with someone who is more defensive minded, by all accounts.   Of course just about all of our defensemen have an offensive component to their game, which is pretty much needed to add offense in college hockey today.   I have also seen guys like Corey Fienhage and Keaton Thompson that come in highly rated that didn't always play a lot, when draft status would suggest they would.  Expectations can cause fans to go crazy, much like they did on Keaton Thompson. 

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

Don't know if they are right or left handed, but I would guess since Tychonick is more offensive minded than JBD, they might put him with Poolman.  This would allow Bast to play with someone who is more defensive minded, by all accounts.   Of course just about all of our defensemen have an offensive component to their game, which is pretty much needed to add offense in college hockey today.   I have also seen guys like Corey Fienhage and Keaton Thompson that come in highly rated that didn't always play a lot, when draft status would suggest they would.  Expectations can cause fans to go crazy, much like they did on Keaton Thompson. 

One is a right and one is a left handed shot, I'm just not sure who is which. I listened to a JBD interview a while back and one of the questions they asked him was about being on a D-pair with Tychonick and how that might continue and UND since ones a R shot and ones a L shot.

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah I wasn’t looking at which hand they were.  More about skill.  But in looking, JBD had 20 goals from the point this year. That’s as offensive as they get.  Haven’t looked at his goal totals in the playoffs.  Kid must have a big shot.

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

Awesome stuff... great quotes.

“And then his character, too. This kid is so humble … He’s a special person, both on and off the ice. I’ve talked to every NHL team about Jacob and a couple other players on our team, and they all say: ‘Well, what’s the negative? What’s the negative?’ I don’t know. There’s so much upside to this young man.”

“I hope I leave an impression that I’m a guy that’s willing to do anything to win,” Bernard-Docker said. “I hope I’m leaving a mark that says I’m a competitive guy that’s willing to do anything for a teammate and willing to do anything for the team to win.”

“The way he regiments his workouts, his nutrition, his practice habits … I don’t think it’s any secret why he’s such a good player, just by the way he approaches the game,” praised Oilers captain Carter Huber, who will also skate for the Fighting Hawks next season. “I mean, I’m 21 years old now and he’s the guy I’ll go up to after practice and look for some drills to help me out and things like that. His knowledge of the game and his passion is second-to-none. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it before.”

This is one my favorite.... Added Oilers head coach Tyler Deis: “There’s no magic story about Jacob. He’s just a perfect kid. He just works extremely hard, and he knows what he wants.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah I wasn’t looking at which hand they were.  More about skill.  But in looking, JBD had 20 goals from the point this year. That’s as offensive as they get.  Haven’t looked at his goal totals in the playoffs.  Kid must have a big shot.

Yeah, they both put up big numbers, but it seems I see two way defenseman when referring to JBD and get up and go about Tychonick.  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/node/4420417

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/international-tournaments/recap-2018-cjhl-top-prospects-game/

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits