SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

Only replying to the bolded point; For a lot of these kids, they go to juniors to try to get into a "better" school.  Cruising through HS in rural Michigan might get you a look from Lake Superior State, but how can you show that you've got the talent to get a look from UND or BC (or whoever you want to pick as the big names), if you don't get on the ice and show it against better competition?  If you're trying to get into college before turning 20, you might need to play that senior season in juniors to get the offer you want from the school you want. 

Following the Fargo Force closely for the last decade, I can't tell you how many players have de-committed from a school when they were able to secure an offer from a bigger name.  Until they sign their letter, they have options. 

I think you are correct in that Juniors make a difference for a lot of kids.  I am not convinced it makes a difference whether they start juniors while still in HS or graduate then do a couple years of juniors.  I am not a believer in kids leaving high school early.  States where there is no high school hockey is different.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:57 AM, AJS said:

One mans opinion, but it's weird that he'd rank Kunz that high and he wouldn't get an invite (out of camp).

I didn't have much luck trying to look up this information, but does anyone know (1) What percentage of offers get turned down (2) How long does it usually take to announce the roster.

I realize it's a huge decision, but you would think the players / parents would have some sort of idea going into the camp if they'd accept if offered at the end of it.

I don't think a whole lot get turned down probably at most 3 or so a year. I know one guy has already turned them down though.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/04/prep-hockey-smith-turns-down-u-s-national-under-17-team-return-cathedral/484166002/

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:Wasn't Irmen still playing in Fargo when he turned down Grant? Were that all that close prior to Irmen going up to GF?

Blais had 1 scholarship left and picked Brian Canady over Grant. Bad decision looking back. And not smart with Ryan coming up. Grant committed while Ryan was a Freshman at RR. Irmen would have still been at Fargo North that year. Ryan personally told me that he and Danny would have both came to UND if Grant would have came here.

5 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Blais had 1 scholarship left and picked Brian Canady over Grant. Bad decision looking back. And not smart with Ryan coming up. Grant committed while Ryan was a Freshman at RR. Irmen would have still been at Fargo North that year. Ryan personally told me that he and Danny would have both came to UND if Grant would have came here.

What could have been...

1 hour ago, ChadR said:

Didn't Grant and Ryan's dad demand Blais to have them on the team and Blais said no. If that's what really happened, Blais showed that no players parent are going to tell him who he will have on the team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, cberkas said:

Didn't Grant and Ryan's dad demand Blais to have them on the team and Blais said no. If that's what really happened, Blais showed that no players parent are going to tell him who he will have on the team. 

Lucia said, we like really can't have parents of players from outside of MN, the alumni here would explode.

But,  but, but, in this case, UND backyard, but?

Well, we do have letters of intent, he can sign here?

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

This is false.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ChadR said:

Danny was still interested in UND after grant committed. His commitment to MN happened slowly over time as he and Ryan became closer.  Ryan was always following his brother.

12 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I don't think a whole lot get turned down probably at most 3 or so a year. I know one guy has already turned them down though.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/04/prep-hockey-smith-turns-down-u-s-national-under-17-team-return-cathedral/484166002/

Crazy, hopefully Kunz gets an invite 

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31/

Interesting that they have Bernard Docker ahead of Tychonick.  I am sure his maturity and character are playing a role in that as well as his skill and how he has really ripped it up lately.  With him possibly sneaking higher in the draft, it sure makes you wonder if the coaches consider the possibility of him coming in this fall.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Interesting that they have Bernard Docker ahead of Tychonick.  I am sure his maturity and character are playing a role in that as well as his skill and how he has really ripped it up lately.  With him possibly sneaking higher in the draft, it sure makes you wonder if the coaches consider the possibility of him coming in this fall.  

Looks like he only moved up one spot.  Interesting though, a first rounder doesn’t play another year of juniors...not these days.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Wow, talk about jumping up the draft boards! I know this is only one website, but it's looking more and more like he'll be at worst a third round pick, mostly likely a 2nd with a chance to be in the 1st. The coaching staff must be working on a contingency plan right now, there's no way he plays another year of juniors.

So, what happens? My best guess is a Gornall, Chantrand, Wilkie type situation for one player (my guess is Johnson moves to forward full time).

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

Wow, talk about jumping up the draft boards! I know this is only one website, but it's looking more and more like he'll be at worst a third round pick, mostly likely a 2nd with a chance to be in the 1st. The coaching staff must be working on a contingency plan right now, there's no way he plays another year of juniors.

So, what happens? My best guess is a Gornall, Chantrand, Wilkie type situation for one player (my guess is Johnson moves to forward full time).

Craig Button on TSN had JBD higher than Tychonick also. His rankings are more “off the board” than some of the other rankings you see out there though. 

I also think Johnson will be moved to forward. 

11 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

JT did. It was tweeted by Penticton.

JBD’s team is still playing, correct? 

Interesting I must have missed the JT tweet. Good for him.

yes that’s right...oilers are still in it.

It's getting pretty hard to temper the excitement that JT & JBD will bring to an already solid D-core. They will both be true freshman, but will have two years of juniors under their belts and have had as impressive of a draft year as they possibly could. Read an article recently that talked about both of them at (blanking on the name) the tournament where they were D-partners. Very complementary to both, said they were outstanding together.

The D-core is going to be so good and so deep next year.