SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Haha, haven't seen a lot of any of them I'm just basing it all off of stats mostly. I could be, and probably am, pretty wrong about all of them but this is just what I think from what I've heard and read

I think you’re right though.  Tychonik and Bernard-Docker will be nice.  But the rest are question marks.  Even Weatherby and Hain for next year (although I do think they will fit in nice, I just wouldn’t expect heavy production from either of them).

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I think you’re right though.  Tychonik and Bernard-Docker will be nice.  But the rest are question marks.  Even Weatherby and Hain for next year (although I do think they will fit in nice, I just wouldn’t expect heavy production from either of them).

Weatherby as a BCHL MVP finalist has me really looking forward to what he brings to the program.

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Weatherby as a BCHL MVP finalist has me really looking forward to what he brings to the program.

Long term, yes, but it is a crap shoot on a lot of these guys as to when and if they are able to make an impact at the college level.  Most people had Kawaguchi, Adams and Mismash as bigger impacts this year for UND than Jones, based on production in their leagues.  Sometimes it will surprise you who makes an impact.  I believe St. Cloud has had a few pleasant surprises this year.  

23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Sure, but to level set, he’s an over ager in a high scoring league. He put up less points than kawaguchi did last year at an older age.  Hopefully he exceeds my expectations.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Jones was an overager in a high scoring league, too.

Yup. Don’t take this as negative criticism, take this as being cautious.  Jones played on the most defensive team in the league and had prior college experience. And..each player adjusts to the college game differently.

i wish we would have scooped Alex Newhook...that’s kids numbers look phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yup. Don’t take this as negative criticism, take this as being cautious.  Jones played on the most defensive team in the league and had prior college experience. And..each player adjusts to the college game differently.

i wish we would have scooped Alex Newhook...that’s kids numbers look phenomenal.

Similar numbers to Wade Murphy... just being cautious :D;)

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest issue with the incoming class is that it just doesn't have a bonafide blue chip recruit at forward. The last 4 years we've had N. Schmaltz, Boeser, Jost, and Mismash all come in with a lot of fanfare and reputations as big scorers. This years class just doesn't seem to have that player. I would guess the coaching staff was expecting Hain to be that guy, but given his numbers with the U-18 team he may not be able to fill that role. I think that's what makes this seem like a bad class. Since we don't have that one stud of the group, these guys who would normally play more secondary roles are being expected to fill a role they weren't recruited to

55 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I still think Kawaguchi can be a Duncan-type player (obviously won't have Toews and Oshie on his line, though).

Guys making an impact in their 2nd or 3rd years occurs much more often than their freshman year.  We need to hope that is the case on a few players.  Would also help to get a few unexpected surprises from the freshmen class next year.   Would be nice if there were an impact player that has eligibility left that graduated  from another school that could transfer without sitting a year to fill in a recruiting gap, but that doesn't always work out how you think either.  Wisconsin can attest to that.   

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, tnt said:

Guys making an impact in their 2nd or 3rd years occurs much more often than their freshman year.  We need to hope that is the case on a few players.  Would also help to get a few unexpected surprises from the freshmen class next year.   Would be nice if there were an impact player that has eligibility left that graduated  from another school that could transfer without sitting a year to fill in a recruiting gap, but that doesn't always work out how you think either.  Wisconsin can attest to that.   

This.

Mismash has more points than Fratty did his freshman year. That worked out alright, eh? :)

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I still think Kawaguchi can be a Duncan-type player (obviously won't have Toews and Oshie on his line, though).

Yeah, he has potential for sure but can get rubbed off the puck at times where Dunc figured out how to be a little pitbull.

My size comment was more about I think Weatherby can contribute more quickly than Kawaguchi because of his size. Park him in front of the net and create havoc for goalies.

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah, he has potential for sure but can get rubbed off the puck at times where Dunc figured out how to be a little pitbull.

My size comment was more about I think Weatherby can contribute more quickly than Kawaguchi because of his size. Park him in front of the net and create havoc for goalies.

In fairness to Guch, Duncan was playing with two UND legends and had a lot more space to work with. I get your point, though.

2 hours ago, SiouxFan25 said:

I would guess the coaching staff was expecting Hain to be that guy, but given his numbers with the U-18 team he may not be able to fill that role. 

I really like him, but he did benefit from playing with Mattson and Miller.  Hopefully he can find that fit at UND

5 minutes ago, franchise said:

I really like him, but he did benefit from playing with Mattson and Miller.  Hopefully he can find that fit at UND

*McLaughlin and Miller and those 2 benefited just as much from playing with him as he did playing with them. I saw plenty of Hain last year but have only seen him against UND this year but I'd be surprised if he isn't a regular in the lineup next year. He is a skilled guy but does a lot of the dirty work as well.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

*McLaughlin and Miller and those 2 benefited just as much from playing with him as he did playing with them. I saw plenty of Hain last year but have only seen him against UND this year but I'd be surprised if he isn't a regular in the lineup next year. He is a skilled guy but does a lot of the dirty work as well.

Yeah, McLaughlin, and Mattson prior.  Agreed, they all helped each other

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In fairness to Guch, Duncan was playing with two UND legends and had a lot more space to work with. I get your point, though.

Yeah he was, but I was referring more to their ability to be physical and use their body when needed despite their smaller stature. Dunc could go in the corners and hold his own, Guch hasn't figured it out quite yet. Nothing to do with who they played with because of course Dunc benefited from Oshie and Toews in scoring.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't think the Kawaguchi-Duncan comparison is quite accurate. Duncan was a much higher end player who had pretty much every tool to make the NHL except size. I think a better comparison would be Guch and Caggiula. Pretty similar caliber players and I would think Guch's career trajectory will probably mirror Caggiula's a lot more closely than Duncan's. So I agree Kawaguchi can be a great player, I just think it will take more time for him than it did for Duncan

1 hour ago, SiouxFan25 said:

I don't think the Kawaguchi-Duncan comparison is quite accurate. Duncan was a much higher end player who had pretty much every tool to make the NHL except size. I think a better comparison would be Guch and Caggiula. Pretty similar caliber players and I would think Guch's career trajectory will probably mirror Caggiula's a lot more closely than Duncan's. So I agree Kawaguchi can be a great player, I just think it will take more time for him than it did for Duncan

I don’t think guch skates as well as caggiula.  That may hold him back, from a ceiling perspective