SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On 2/4/2018 at 10:59 AM, sioux24/7 said:

Went to the Stampede vs Des Moines game last night in Sioux Falls. I’m not a hockey expert but tried paying attention to Costello when I could and he looked pretty solid. Good puck possession. It seemed to me on at least one of their power plays they were running through him. 

The real story of the game was defending champ Spud took second in the Weiner Dog Race. 

Oh and there was almost a goalie fight. 

Costello has struggled this year.  I’m assuming he’ll spend another 1-3 years in juniors.

Mancinelli looks like he could be a good one, in his first year in the USHL (either Sophomore or Junior in HS - June DOB), he currently has 10 G 7 A - 17 P in 36 GP. Of that total, in his last 16 GP, he's almost averaging a PPG, with 9 G 5 A for 14 P.

Obviously, there's a huge step up from High School / Midget to the USHL, no surprise that it took a while to get comfortable. Seems to be taking off now that he got his feet wet.

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Anyone else a little concerned that a good number of our commits are "struggling in juniors"?

The only two I would truly classify as struggling is Keane and Senden (nothing new with those two), outside of that, Costello would be the only other person, but he's also a HS Senior in his first year in the USHL.

I don't think you could classify anyone else outside those three as struggling.

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

The only two I would truly classify as struggling is Keane and Senden (nothing new with those two), outside of that, Costello would be the only other person, but he's also a HS Senior in his first year in the USHL.

Okay, it just seems like there has been a lot of talk about commits struggling.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Anyone else a little concerned that a good number of our commits are "struggling in juniors"?

Weatherby still leads the BCHL in scoring.  Tychonick is 4th in BCHL defensemen scoring.  Gavin Hain is putting up over a half point per game playing against some pretty good competition.  These are the three that will likely be regulars in the lineup next season.  I've read great things about Senden's character and from the description of his game he projects as a Mario Lamoureux/Jonny Simonson type.  Keane has struggled.  Oh, and Adam Scheel is being lauded as Penticton's MVP this year...although it will likely go to their point producing BSU commit.  I'm excited to see what the younger guys can do next year in their respective leagues (esp. Caulfield, Donovan, and Ethan Bowen).

BTW, Jacob Bernard-Docker seems ready to come in next year which really jams up the D position.  Thoughts?  Does he stay on with Okotoks or go to the USHL? Or...?

26 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

Weatherby still leads the BCHL in scoring.  Tychonick is 4th in BCHL defensemen scoring.  Gavin Hain is putting up over a half point per game playing against some pretty good competition.  These are the three that will likely be regulars in the lineup next season.  I've read great things about Senden's character and from the description of his game he projects as a Mario Lamoureux/Jonny Simonson type.  Keane has struggled.  Oh, and Adam Scheel is being lauded as Penticton's MVP this year...although it will likely go to their point producing BSU commit.  I'm excited to see what the younger guys can do next year in their respective leagues (esp. Caulfield, Donovan, and Ethan Bowen).

BTW, Jacob Bernard-Docker seems ready to come in next year which really jams up the D position.  Thoughts?  Does he stay on with Okotoks or go to the USHL? Or...?

JBD could be ready, but like you said, logjam at D with no seniors this year and only one possible early departure. I bet he stays in juniors, and would like to see him in the USHL, but not sure that’s likely. 

55 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Keane's EP page hasn't listed UND as his commitment for a while now. He's probably on standby if we don't get anyone else to replace him. 

He’s already signed his LOI, which you can get out of, but it is a bit more firm than just a verbal. I’m not sure they’d have him sign it in the early signing period if they weren’t sure about bringing him in. Seems weird to me. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, AJS said:

I would assume it's tough to say if Senden is struggling by looking at stats.  He's not exactly a flashy points kind of guy.

22 hours ago, AJS said:

Mancinelli looks like he could be a good one, in his first year in the USHL (either Sophomore or Junior in HS - June DOB), he currently has 10 G 7 A - 17 P in 36 GP. Of that total, in his last 16 GP, he's almost averaging a PPG, with 9 G 5 A for 14 P.

Obviously, there's a huge step up from High School / Midget to the USHL, no surprise that it took a while to get comfortable. Seems to be taking off now that he got his feet wet.

Agreed he has taken off a bit, nice to see.  June ‘01 that’s ok.

20 hours ago, AJS said:

Very true, those three are definitely struggling however senden and keane are going to be bottom 6 players.  Especially senden, he’s never been a scorer but more of a penalty killer...similar to Dixon Bowen.  Numbers are a concern though. Keane is a guy that is going to be in and out of the lineup...maybe.  I wouldn’t even put him that close to a Yon type player.

Hain is another player that has fallen.  Last year he was projected as a top 2 round player.  He’s since fallen of a cliff because his skating ability is getting exposed against the better comp he’s playing against.  He’s a guy that could almost use another year in juniors or have a limited (bottom 6) role for und next year.  Probably a 3-4 year player which is good long term.

42 minutes ago, franchise said:

I would assume it's tough to say if Senden is struggling by looking at stats.  He's not exactly a flashy points kind of guy.

It's easy for fans to look purely at stats to judge players, because not being able to watch them it is what we have to go on.  It can also be deceiving to get the full picture of a player, because we don't always know the role they are meant to play.  Dixon Bowen had similar stats to Keane on a team that scored a lot more.  Kawaguchi put up so much better stats than Nick Jones, but again on a higher scoring team.  If you look at a guy like Nolan Walker, who I believe is a St. Cloud recruit, his numbers are very good, but if you take away his power play points, his production is basically the same as Senden's.  I understand there is a reason that he has a lot of power play time and Senden doesn't, but then again, that is not what Senden's role is.  Maybe there is a reason that UND always is a great 5 on 5 team, while not so good on the power play.  Perhaps they need to find a way to get more players good at both, but sometimes good two-way players give up a bit at the offensive end to be responsible defensively.  I trust the coaches can work at resolving the issues we have had at being a little short on top end talent, because I think the losses of 8 top end guys the past few off seasons has really been more than most teams could deal with.  I think Jost leaving after one year was the biggest surprise to the staff and hurt us the most.  How much better would this team be with Jost.  The power play and penalty kill would be that much better, and I think Gersich would also be better not having to be the man, and having Jost taking the attention of the other team.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

It's easy for fans to look purely at stats to judge players, because not being able to watch them it is what we have to go on.  It can also be deceiving to get the full picture of a player, because we don't always know the role they are meant to play.  Dixon Bowen had similar stats to Keane on a team that scored a lot more.  Kawaguchi put up so much better stats than Nick Jones, but again on a higher scoring team.  If you look at a guy like Nolan Walker, who I believe is a St. Cloud recruit, his numbers are very good, but if you take away his power play points, his production is basically the same as Senden's.  I understand there is a reason that he has a lot of power play time and Senden doesn't, but then again, that is not what Senden's role is.  Maybe there is a reason that UND always is a great 5 on 5 team, while not so good on the power play.  Perhaps they need to find a way to get more players good at both, but sometimes good two-way players give up a bit at the offensive end to be responsible defensively.  I trust the coaches can work at resolving the issues we have had at being a little short on top end talent, because I think the losses of 8 top end guys the past few off seasons has really been more than most teams could deal with.  I think Jost leaving after one year was the biggest surprise to the staff and hurt us the most.  How much better would this team be with Jost.  The power play and penalty kill would be that much better, and I think Gersich would also be better not having to be the man, and having Jost taking the attention of the other team.

Well said.  I know when I watched a handful of games Senden played in high school, he didn't "stand out" but was a solid 2 way guy who always seemed to be in the right place.

And, yes, this team would look a lot different with Jost.

13 minutes ago, franchise said:

Well said.  I know when I watched a handful of games Senden played in high school, he didn't "stand out" but was a solid 2 way guy who always seemed to be in the right place.

And, yes, this team would look a lot different with Jost.

Senden is a potential future captain. He’s captain of the Force, captained a state title team, plays against other teams top lines. He has a lot of intangibles. 

Jost staying would have changed the dynamic of the team significantly. It would drop Gardner to 2nd line center and Jones to 3rd line center, and that 3rd line would have created a mismatch for other teams. 

22 hours ago, siouxczech29 said:

Imo we don't need a Mario or simonson type player. Watching simonson play makes me scratch my head. Either he is in the lineup because he's a native grand forks guy or he's good in the lockeroom. He wouldn't be a top 6 forward on half the team's in the ncaa. On an unrelated topic, does anyone know where kleven plans to play juniors?

18 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

Imo we don't need a Mario or simonson type player. Watching simonson play makes me scratch my head. Either he is in the lineup because he's a native grand forks guy or he's good in the lockeroom. He wouldn't be a top 6 forward on half the team's in the ncaa. On an unrelated topic, does anyone know where kleven plans to play juniors?

He's not a top-6 player on our team when we have our best two best centers healthy. Simonson plays his role as good as anyone on the team -- two-way and being responsible. He's not a scorer.

Every team needs this type of player. Do we maybe have too many of this type of player in the pipeline right now? Maybe. But, we definitely need players like Johnny (Senden could fill this role) to be on our team going forward.

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits