SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Exactly. When he was here we really didn’t have much offensive talent. Pretty sure he played on a line with Pattyn of all people. 

If only he would’ve been here at the same time as Nick Schmaltz... 

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, his time here was a complete waste of his talent. Most of our team was playing checkers while he was playing Jazz.

Kunz has really stepped into the HS game with no problem leading RR in scoring with 13 points (6 G, 7 A) through 4 games. ND HS stats are tough to really gauge, especially out West, but right now he's tied in the East in scoring with one less games. For comparisons sake, Caulfield had 64 last year as a Sophomore and is doing just fine in the NDTP program. Does anyone know if a freshman has ever lead the East in scoring? 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It's not boasting to say we're a flat out better hockey program than SCSU... it's a fact.

I would categorize SCSU as more of an “up-and-comer” than a “power.”

I think even their fans know that. And when going head-to-head for a recruit in our backyard, the cards are stacked against them. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I would categorize SCSU as more of an “up-and-comer” than a “power.”

I think even their fans know that. And when going head-to-head for a recruit in our backyard, the cards are stacked against them. 

I'd say SCSU IS a college hockey power.     Whether they are "better" or "worse" than UND depends on the wants and needs of the recruit and our considerable prejudices.    As a UND fan, I think they lag behind us, but I've tried and tried to get those green glasses off, and they appear to have just grown into my face somehow.    Probably won't be asked to be a neutral judge because of it, but I like the view. 

38 minutes ago, burd said:

I'd say SCSU IS a college hockey power.     Whether they are "better" or "worse" than UND depends on the wants and needs of the recruit and our considerable prejudices.    As a UND fan, I think they lag behind us, but I've tried and tried to get those green glasses off, and they appear to have just grown into my face somehow.    Probably won't be asked to be a neutral judge because of it, but I like the view. 

UND has more national championships than SCSU has games won in the national tournament. Nothing else really needs to be said. 

42 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND has more national championships than SCSU has games won in the national tournament. Nothing else really needs to be said. 

Exactly. Maybe others have different views of what defines a “college hockey power” but I don’t put SCSU in the same category as others I’d call a powerhouse program. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

Everyone's definition differs (as with what's a blue chip recruit), but I'm interested about how many schools would you consider "powers". If you include SCSU, you must have like 30 on the list.

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

Everyone's definition differs (as with what's a blue chip recruit), but I'm interested about how many schools would you consider "powers". If you include SCSU, you must have like 30 on the list.

That is a very good question.   I'll try to give that some time, as I didn't really think that through.    You really hit the crux of it, though. 

And, btw, I did not say traditional hockey power.   I think there is some difference, though I haven't really thought that through very much either.   :)

7 minutes ago, jk said:

Without crunching any numbers, I would say SC is a top 10 program, nationally, in the last decade.

That is similar to my line of thinking, particularly the last decade part. They seem always to be in the mix.   Off the cuff, I guess I think of DU, UMD, UND, SCSU, UMinn, UW, MICH, BU, BC, PROV., maybe CORNELL.   Maine is an example of a school that has certainly been a traditional power, but I don't think of them in that group currently. 

This is very subjective using any methodology, and I'm sure my list can be ripped apart easily.  But that sort of reflects how I perceive SCSU at this time. 

19 minutes ago, jk said:

Without crunching any numbers, I would say SC is a top 10 program, nationally, in the last decade.

I would agree. a quick number crunch, not counting this year shows them as winning 56% of their games over the last 10 years and making the NCAA tournament 5 times...but this season will be their 5th tournament appearance in 6 years.

It sort of comes down to how much weighting you put on "what have you done for me lately"....   personally, I would not use "powerhouse" to describe SCSU but would use "dangerous", "up and coming", and "just a few bricks shy"    ...  I  would also use "perennial choke", "wanna be", and "jan brady"....    it does seem like they have left "clown", "doormat", and "joke" behind them....

this is fun, let's do the goofs.../\...

• Like 1

I would say that St. Cloud is one of the best at putting together a team despite not always getting the top end talent.  They seem to have to step out early a lot and get players before they are considered sure fire college talent.  Joey Benik, Mike Essiymont, Ryan Lasch and Garrett Rowe come to mind.  Then they seem to find guys like Kalle Kossila as well.  They might have to do things the hard way in that regard, but I certainly respect that they can put a competitive team on the ice year in and year out not having all the built in advantages, and I think our coaches respect that as well.  That's how our '97 National Championship team was built and that's when we started to get back into the top end recruits again.   It's funny we are talking about this considering how many times our fans lament us not having enough finishers and top end talent.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

But they have more participation banners than UND has National Title banners, so there's that.  Plus they took 3rd place in DIII in 1987

• Upvote 1

FS23 on USCHO put together a points system for ranking programs that seems pretty objective.  I don't believe it necessarily takes into account how recent they've been successful but it's kind of a fun countdown that covers the complete history of the programs.  Plus it puts us in 1st .... SCSU is #32 FWIW :D

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?119970-The-Greatest-Programs-of-All-Time-1-60/page6

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I like that UND has been able to get so many local kids lately.  It also says something about the local hockey programs and their ability to develop good hockey players.  Now if the western part of ND could raise their programs as well.  

There’s always been a ton of local talent. There just wasnt much development going on. I think we’ve only seen the tip of the ice berg as far as what GF will produce thanks to the hockey academy.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, cberkas said:

If Rocco stayed one more year.

Cags Nick Rocco

Oh what could have been.

The game moved slower for Rocco than it did for most of his team mates.    That would not have been true for Schmaltz or for Caggiula after he had played a couple of years. 

For all of you bagging on SCSU, from an SCSU fan's perspective, I don't really care how the team is perceived. First of all, it's my alma mater because they offered the programs I was interested in at the right price. I have two degrees from there and a well paying job because of them. I will always be loyal to them, good or bad.

As far as their reputation, I don't care as long as we win championships. I don't care if the championship roster has Randklev or Benson or Poganski or Lizotte on it. We're #1 in the conference and #1 in the nation after taking 4 of 6 points from the Fighting Hawks this past weekend, so I'm feeling pretty good, and nothing you say about SCSU's past will change that.

Congrats on the new recruit, he looks like a real good one. :)

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits