SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

If Randklev doesn’t we’re not done recruiting for next year.   Gersich is almost certainly gone,  that leaves 5 roster spots open at forward.  

Hain, Keane, Weatherby, Senden, (Randklev?).

Wouldn't mind Cruikshank, but if they could find a high end guy this late in the game that would be ideal. 

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I don’t know, it’s also tough to compare what Randklev is doing playing HS Hockey to what Rocco was doing at the same ago.  Rocco was dominating at a much much higher level.  At his size, I believe he’s still the highest drafted player ever.

I always got the impression that Rocco's chemistry with his linemates wasn't as good as it could have been for whatever reason.  From what I have seen with Randklev ( which granted isn't a lot) he seems to have very good chemistry with his linemates.   Haven't seen the high end speed like Rocco has, but maybe he has that extra gear I haven't seen either.  

6 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

What was the story behind his original commitment to ASU, then backing out and picking UND?  Just a matter of a small kid overlooked by most schools so he committed early to ASU?  Did he re-open his status before choosing UND, or did we just poach him?

Murphy has it in a tweet.

10 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

What was the story behind his original commitment to ASU, then backing out and picking UND?  Just a matter of a small kid overlooked by most schools so he committed early to ASU?  Did he re-open his status before choosing UND, or did we just poach him?

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Murphy has it in a tweet.

In short, he realized he can do better. Not necessarily a slam on ASU, just is what it is.

8 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

He committed in April. Backed out last month because he wanted to be close to home. Then UND got in the picture along with a bunch of other schools. 

Probably committed too soon before he realized there were more options for him. See it a lot these days. 

45 minutes ago, tnt said:

I always got the impression that Rocco's chemistry with his linemates wasn't as good as it could have been for whatever reason.  From what I have seen with Randklev ( which granted isn't a lot) he seems to have very good chemistry with his linemates.   Haven't seen the high end speed like Rocco has, but maybe he has that extra gear I haven't seen either.  

I don't think we got to see what Rocco was capable of.  On top of the knee issue, he definitely didn't seem to click with his line.  Always seemed to make passes that no one was ready for or thought he could make. 

49 minutes ago, tnt said:

I don't even know if it's chemistry, per say, but just that Rocco was just always a half step ahead of the play and his linemates couldn't ever catch up mentally. Rocco was always going full speed, no matter what and that got him in trouble, at times.

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I just think it's adorable that SCSU thought they had a shot at him.

I mean his current coach played at SCSU. And that coach had friends, Lee, Vande that played at UND. He would have heard the pros and cons of going to St. Cloud and UND. He's a good recruit  but again is small. Could be more of an impact player at SCSU. 

There's def. some advantages and disadvantages for his scenario. Glad he chose, UND, actually thought he'd be at SCSU seeming it would be a better fit.

I hope he continues to do well in the USHL too going forward. I don't want to see another Cakebread scenario play out.

4 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

I mean his current coach played at SCSU. And that coach had friends, Lee, Vande that played at UND. He would have heard the pros and cons of going to St. Cloud and UND. He's a good recruit  but again is small. Could be more of an impact player at SCSU. 

There's def. some advantages and disadvantages for his scenario. Glad he chose, UND, actually thought he'd be at SCSU seeming it would be a better fit.

I hope he continues to do well in the USHL too going forward. I don't want to see another Cakebread scenario play out.

Has any recruit ever had a full scholarship offer to UND and SCSU in their hands and chosen St Cloud? Honestly curious...

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In short, he realized he can do better. Not necessarily a slam on ASU, just is what it is.

I don’t think he had an offer.  I mean he visited UND last year. He was at a pt per game pace in the ushl...once that happened I’m sure some of the coaches ears perked a bit.  

33 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Has any recruit ever had a full scholarship offer to UND and SCSU in their hands and chosen St Cloud? Honestly curious...

Matt Cullen, 1995.

Blais had just taken over and the program wasn't looking good yet.

I am still convinced that Craig Dahl recruited Ryan Frisch just to get Matt Cullen. Frisch never played much, which tells you the real reason he was on the team.

Cullen left school after his sophomore year.

44 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Very few guys are actually on full scholarship, so they could have been offering him more. 18 full scholarships to split up between up to 27 guys.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Very few guys are actually on full scholarship, so they could have been offering him more. 18 full scholarships to split up between up to 27 guys.

Yeah I worded it poorly, I meant with both programs offering the same thing so it's apples to apples. Not necessarily a full scholarship.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Cakebread had a female get into his head, and it cost him his hockey career.  Spent all his waking time with her and not working on his game. 

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I don’t think he had an offer.  I mean he visited UND last year. He was at a pt per game pace in the ushl...once that happened I’m sure some of the coaches ears perked a bit.  

He'll back back with the Force in the spring, so will get back to that competition. Looking forward to it!

2 hours ago, snova4 said:

Cakebread had a female get into his head, and it cost him his hockey career.  Spent all his waking time with her and not working on his game. 

This is most of the story. And sad. Hak told me "best hands I've seen for a 16 yo" when he committed, then Marks took over and told him to toughen up, and the rest is history...

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Cakebread?  The kid with a hatty game one in the ushl (as a 16 year old) and never did anything again?  I’m curious on your comparison.

4 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Mark Parrish apparently.  We don't want to get so full of ourselves like Minnesota, lest we lose players like that like Minnesota did.  This is a great listen about his recruitment, or lack thereof from Minnesota, even though he had full offers from many places including us.  

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I don’t know, it’s also tough to compare what Randklev is doing playing HS Hockey to what Rocco was doing at the same ago.  Rocco was dominating at a much much higher level.  At his size, I believe he’s still the highest drafted player ever. Rocco was a blue chip.

Rocco was unreal. He unfortunately didn't have any teammates at his level. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, tnt said:

Mark Parrish apparently.  We don't want to get so full of ourselves like Minnesota, lest we lose players like that like Minnesota did.  This is a great listen about his recruitment, or lack thereof from Minnesota, even though he had full offers from many places including us.  

It's not boasting to say we're a flat out better hockey program than SCSU... it's a fact.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Rocco was unreal. He unfortunately didn't have any teammates at his level. 

Exactly. When he was here we really didn’t have much offensive talent. Pretty sure he played on a line with Pattyn of all people. 

If only he would’ve been here at the same time as Nick Schmaltz... 

• Upvote 1