SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

21 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ya let's only pluck undrafted kids that will go straight to the show :)

I guess the proof will be in the pudding with this recruiting class.  I'm guessing there will be several players that Sioux fans wouldn't want to trade for guys that were drafted.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

I guess the proof will be in the pudding with this recruiting class.  I'm guessing there will be several players that Sioux fans wouldn't want to trade for guys that were drafted.

In all seriousness I like our incoming class this year. I've just noticed our total number of drafted players has been decreasing.  Recruiting has been getting tougher and tougher as other schools build their programs.

BU (7), UMD (4), PSU (4), WIS (4).  Were usually up there. Of the 60 NCAA players we only had one.  Just a an off year.  Shocked that someone didn't take peski or kawaguchi with a 7th rd flyer 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

In all seriousness I like our incoming class this year. I've just noticed our total number of drafted players has been decreasing.  Recruiting has been getting tougher and tougher as other schools build their programs.

BU (7), UMD (4), PSU (4), WIS (4).  Were usually up there. Of the 60 NCAA players we only had one.  Just a an off year.  Shocked that someone didn't take peski or kawaguchi with a 7th rd flyer 

Well those teams can hang their most drafted players banners ;) UND will hang another white and green banner.

• Upvote 1

To be honest I am more concerned about next year's class with the possibility of Senden, Mattson, and Keane.  Being that Keane and Senden are character role players, I would guess depending on who leaves, they might have to wait another year to come in, or commit somewhere where they could play sooner if they choose.

I recall Lawton saying in this year's draft coverage that sometimes they throw a scout a bone late in the draft if he hasn't had one of his scouted players taken. To me that says how much of an inexact science scouting and recruiting is, especially with the underage draft and recruiting with so many late bloomers like Poolman and LaDue. 

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

I recall Lawton saying in this year's draft coverage that sometimes they throw a scout a bone late in the draft if he hasn't had one of his scouted players taken. To me that says how much of an inexact science scouting and recruiting is, especially with the underage draft and recruiting with so many late bloomers like Poolman and LaDue. 

Yeah, but both ladue and poolman were drafted. And both those boys shined in the toughest junior A league in NA.  

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah, but both ladue and poolman were drafted. And both those boys shined in the toughest junior A league in NA.  

But they had to fight hard to even get to the USHL, and were drafted at a later age.  I'm sure there are guys like Cameron Crotty that UND would liked to have got, but next man up after you miss out.  Would rather get team guys than me first guys like Kieffer Bellows.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

FYP again.

Yeah you're right.  My original post was never meant to bash the incoming group. I like them. They are just a bit older and more unheralded.  Some question marks. I still think this year's team will be very solid.  This is how most other college teams have had to recruit because high end kids (excluding over agers) were always going to MN, UND, BC, Mich, and BU. Times are changing.

What I kind of worry about us after this coming year.  If we lose some guys (gersich, Rhett, wolanin mismash, etc) we're going to be thin.  Next year's incoming class is not supposed to be too good.  Guys like mattson, senden, and keane have struggled mightily in juniors.  More so Jackson and senden.  Maybe they'll be decent role players but we're going to need top 6 players.  I'm sure Berry and co have something up their sleeves.

Yeah you're right.  My original post was never meant to bash the incoming group. I like them. They are just a bit older and more unheralded.  Some question marks. I still think this year's team will be very solid.  This is how most other college teams have had to recruit because high end kids (excluding over agers) were always going to MN, UND, BC, Mich, and BU. Times are changing.

What I kind of worry about us after this coming year.  If we lose some guys (gersich, Rhett, wolanin mismash, etc) we're going to be thin.  Next year's incoming class is not supposed to be too good.  Guys like mattson, senden, and keane have struggled mightily in juniors.  More so Jackson and senden.  Maybe they'll be decent role players but we're going to need top 6 players.  I'm sure Berry and co have something up their sleeves.

I'm really high on this years recruiting class, it's incredibly solid from top to bottom. When you look at the pipeline, I agree with your worries about Mattson, Senden and Keane, but outside of that, it's stacked with talent. It's probably too early to speculate, but right now, I think they only lose Wolanin early after next year. UND will have a really, really good team in 2018 and the 2019 recruiting class could be really special. 

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I hope they do - with Jost gone from last years class, if you look at last year, this year, and next year there is not a lot of high-end talent coming in - not like we are used to.  BU will always get some (although they are getting such an outsized lot for the last several years), but it is hard to see Penn State, Minnesota Duluth, and St. Clown take it to us with some recruits.  I wish I knew more about what is going on?  Have we missed on several high enders or is this our new strategy?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Name someone who decided on Clown while holding an offer from UND. 

It does seem like the team didn't get the recruiting boosts other recent champs have had, although it may be other teams' recruiting gets more attention after a championship.

UND could always do the Wisconsin method, recruit everyone then choose who you want later.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Name someone who decided on Clown while holding an offer from UND. 

It does seem like the team didn't get the recruiting boosts other recent champs have had, although it may be other teams' recruiting gets more attention after a championship.

Dennis Cholowski and the Poehlings - not sure if we offered, but they have had first rounders this year and last.  - I'm just not seeing the studs, especially after 3 straight Frozen Four appearances capped off by a National Title.  

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Dennis Cholowski and the Poehlings - not sure if we offered, but they have had first rounders this year and last.  - I'm just not seeing the studs, especially after 3 straight Frozen Four appearances capped off by a National Title.  

...and Denver won the National title with 6 draft picks compared to our 10.  Seems to me like we get our fair share of talent and the difference has been many times when we win it all or go a long way, the guys who weren't the studs. Guys like Sykes, Henderson, Gaarder, and Caggiula.  I'm sure Denver would say the same with guys like Lukosevicius.  By the way the players you mentioned for St. Cloud combined for 48 points. Yes, Ryan should take off this year, but I have a feeling if we got those guys, you would be complaining about their production, like Brian Lee and other whipping boys.

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Poehling was part of a package deal with siblings.

Cholowski was one and done, and he will always be the guy that Gornall burned on the way to a game winner.  His quick departure will likely reflect poorly on Clown, regardless of whether or not it is warranted.

Sucks they got Borgen before us, hopefully the lesson was learned.

Seems to me that having a bunch of blue chip draft picks are more of a area of bragging rights and add some publicity for the program, but is not necessarily a recipe for a championship. Just look at countless teams from UND, UM and BU.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bragging rights, and I love when guys like Toews or Oshie play at UND then tear up the NHL. Though I also love the underdog story with guys like stecher and Caggiulia, and there is a better chance of those guys staying longer.

Personally, the winning combo is a some high end players (with the right mentality) surrounded by role players that buy into the coaches system. I'll take a Caggiulia every time against a Mittlestadt. You got Caggiuia for 4 years, and he can do a pull up.

A smart guy, from a stupid school, once said, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones".

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seems to me that having a bunch of blue chip draft picks are more of a area of bragging rights and add some publicity for the program, but is not necessarily a recipe for a championship. Just look at countless teams from UND, UM and BU.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bragging rights, and I love when guys like Toews or Oshie play at UND then tear up the NHL. Though I also love the underdog story with guys like stecher and Caggiulia, and there is a better chance of those guys staying longer.

Personally, the winning combo is a some high end players (with the right mentality) surrounded by role players that buy into the coaches system. I'll take a Caggiulia every time against a Mittlestadt. You got Caggiuia for 4 years, and he can do a pull up.

A smart guy, from a stupid school, once said, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones".

Call me crazy but I don't think we win a national title without Caggiula. That seemed to be the x-factor missing from last year.  A 4 year guy leading the team that scores huge goals in the most important moments of the season. The Michigan regional final goal to get us going, the 2 goals against Denver, 2 dagger goals against Quinnipiac. 

Like you said, it's the combination of a couple young blue chippers and 4 year guys that peak in their final year. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

LOL...this will never get old! :lol:

18 hours ago, Irish said:

I hope they do - with Jost gone from last years class, if you look at last year, this year, and next year there is not a lot of high-end talent coming in - not like we are used to.  BU will always get some (although they are getting such an outsized lot for the last several years), but it is hard to see Penn State, Minnesota Duluth, and St. Clown take it to us with some recruits.  I wish I knew more about what is going on?  Have we missed on several high enders or is this our new strategy?

I'm not overly sure.  UND has always went a few high enders mixed with solid over agers (Denver employs this strategy as well, more so with the over agers). What I believe is changing is that more players are starting to be produced outside of the typical hockey markets (CA, ILL, St. Louis, etc).  These types of kids (and their parents) are simply not as familiar with UND.

Don't get my wrong, I love the Caggulia's and Stechers out there.  And many posters have responded that they would rather have those types of guys....me too.  However those two were diamonds in the rough.  If their draft year's were re done they would be 1-2 rd draft picks.  However, there is some luck involved in pulling in those types of undrafted kids.  Believe me, if Berry had some magic potion where he knew which undrafted kids were going to bloom into NHL regulars, he would definitely not be in Grand Forks, ND.