SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Ethan Bowen committed ('02 Yale Academy).  That's a very big get.  We'll see if he ends up here or not.

Definitely young, but with our solid ties to the BCHL now, I'm optimistic. He even flat out mentioned Jost. Good stuff. Nice work, Bubs and Co.

16 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Ethan Bowen committed ('02 Yale Academy).  That's a very big get.  We'll see if he ends up here or not.

I saw one quote that said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he actually fell quite a way in the draft because the Canadian teams were so sure he was going the NCAA route.

Things like that give me hope that he'll follow through ;)

27 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I saw one quote that said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he actually fell quite a way in the draft because the Canadian teams were so sure he was going the NCAA route.

After doing some research it seems that he was pretty much a consensus Top 5 pick throughout the year. Western Elite Hockey Prospects had him #1 in their Pre-season Top 10 and #3 a month before the draft. I'm with you that although he was taken #39, that is a massive drop from Top 5. Makes me feel more comfortable as well.

A lot can change from their Bantam year to their draft year (obviously), but as of today, there's no doubt he'd be the #1 Canadian NCAA prospect from the '02 class. Taking the Tychonick (& Rizzo) route of playing your Junior / Senior year in BCHL and coming in as a true freshman with 2 years of juniors under your belt.

Now let's keep our fingers crossed that the coaching staff will land the #1 in the '01 class in Rizzo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxforcefans said:

True, but that happens every year,  sounds like he's coming here but until they throw on the jersey I'm slightly skeptical.  This is great news though.  Big pick up.

10 hours ago, AJS said:

After doing some research it seems that he was pretty much a consensus Top 5 pick throughout the year. Western Elite Hockey Prospects had him #1 in their Pre-season Top 10 and #3 a month before the draft. I'm with you that although he was taken #39, that is a massive drop from Top 5. Makes me feel more comfortable as well.

A lot can change from their Bantam year to their draft year (obviously), but as of today, there's no doubt he'd be the #1 Canadian NCAA prospect from the '02 class. Taking the Tychonick (& Rizzo) route of playing your Junior / Senior year in BCHL and coming in as a true freshman with 2 years of juniors under your belt.

Now let's keep our fingers crossed that the coaching staff will land the #1 in the '01 class in Rizzo.

So, what are the odds in landing Rizzo?

3 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

So, what are the odds in landing Rizzo?

With no inside information, based strictly on who he follows on Twitter, my guess is he either ends up at UND, Wisconsin or Denver. He has visited UND and Wisconsin for sure. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

With no inside information, based strictly on who he follows on Twitter, my guess is he either ends up at UND, Wisconsin or Denver. He has visited UND and Wisconsin for sure. 

On USCHO the Wisconsin fans are making it sound like they are getting Rizzo.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

On USCHO the Wisconsin fans are making it sound like they are getting Rizzo.

They don't have any roster space until 2025-2026 season though with all their committed recruits.  Not sure he wants to wait that long.  :)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They don't have any roster space until 2025-2026 season though with all their committed recruits.  Not sure he wants to wait that long.  :)

I think Wisconsin is just trying to get everyone to commit to them and the pick and choose what players they want believing that other teams will honor the "gentleman's agreement." 

If I was Brad I'd tell him that Wisconsin has too many recruits and Denver's coach might not be there when he is set to arrive at Denver. Brad should just give Rizzo the same offer as Ethan. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

I think Wisconsin is just trying to get everyone to commit to them and the pick and choose what players they want believing that other teams will honor the "gentleman's agreement." 

If I was Brad I'd tell him that Wisconsin has too many recruits and Denver's coach might not be there when he is set to arrive at Denver. Brad should just give Rizzo the same offer as Ethan. 

Rather than negatively recruiting, I would just tell him the great benefits of our program with the facilities, league, coaching staff and full-house of passionate fans every night.  Mention the number of players that played professional hockey this year and how many of them still come back as part of the family.  If the player brings something up about other schools, I wouldn't hesitate to reiterate the difference on how things are run here, but our success and tradition should stand on its own. You definitely could say that you will be their head coach, and ask if that is going to be the case at other places they visit. It certainly wouldn't hurt to say things you do as a coaching staff and things you don't do without mentioning schools, as you already know who your competition is, and it doesn't sound like you're attacking but just stating your philosophy.  Some kids and parents are turned off by negative recruiting, but I suppose it works in some cases much like negative campaigning in elections.  I guess I am one that just prefers selling yourself more than ripping on the others, except when Minnesota is involved. ;)

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

I'd be nervous if I was a Wisconsin fan, in the short term, over recruiting will pay dividends, but it'll be a bad look in the long term. With the way recruiting works this day and age, it's not uncommon for a recruit to verbal young, but never make it. What Wisconsin is doing isn't going to be a "didn't work out" scenario that schools run into a time or two every couple years. It's clear they are deliberately over recruiting and going with the method of having 10 recruits, picking the 6 best every year and telling the other 4 to get lost.

I realize there's no difference between 28 & 29 recruits and Wisconsin fans have to feel good since they've been on a roll, but I'll always feel confident with Western Canada kids. I mean there has to be tipping point, right? Maybe Rizzo would be that for Wisconsin, because what they are doing is ridiculous (not in a good way).

I'm going with an uniformed prediction that Rizzo will verbal to UND w/in a month.

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'd be nervous if I was a Wisconsin fan, in the short term, over recruiting will pay dividends, but it'll be a bad look in the long term. With the way recruiting works this day and age, it's not uncommon for a recruit to verbal young, but never make it. What Wisconsin is doing isn't going to be a "didn't work out" scenario that schools run into a time or two every couple years. It's clear they are deliberately over recruiting and going with the method of having 10 recruits, picking the 6 best every year and telling the other 4 to get lost.

I realize there's no difference between 28 & 29 recruits and Wisconsin fans have to feel good since they've been on a roll, but I'll always feel confident with Western Canada kids. I mean there has to be tipping point, right? Maybe Rizzo would be that for Wisconsin, because what they are doing is ridiculous (not in a good way).

I'm going with an uniformed prediction that Rizzo will verbal to UND w/in a month.

I have a feeling this group of coaches at UW will be recruiting successfully for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, burd said:

I have a feeling this group of coaches at UW will be recruiting successfully for a long time. 

No argument there, I just think it's going to be a bad look when they begin to tell 30% of their commitments on a yearly basis they aren't coming in. It'll get to a point where it has some negative outcome once players / parents / advisors see what's happening.

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits