SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

On April 9, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Rick said:

We have the same opinion, ira. 

Some posters were saying that kids need to leave high school early so they can play against better competition and thus aid in their development.  I was sarcastically trying to make the point that TJ Oshie left Warroad after his junior year (which I knew he didn't) and it really aided his development (which it didn't because he didn't leave early).  I believe that kids like TJ, Hain, Boeser and many other elite players aren't going to suffer at all in their development if they stay in high school.  I also believe that others who aren't as gifted as TJ could just as well stay in high school and then play juniors.  They might as well play one or two years of junior hockey after they've finished their high school years rather than leave early and play two or three years in the USHL.

Yeah, I eventually figured that out.  You are correct.  I don't understand why, as a sports minded society, we don't let kids mature physically and emotionally and be patient with their development.  The high end kids will make it no matter where they go.  The other kids, most of whom won't play in the NHL and many who won't play college at the highest level, give up too much in order to attempt to accelerate their hockey development.  The one sport athlete mentality is stupid and not in the best interest of the athlete. AAU basketball leagues have expanded to include multiple levels and include some very mediocre kids but most of them are overpaying a lot of money for the experience.  Those that are convinced kids develop better going to juniors early may be right but we don't have evidence to support either argument other than the individual stories or success or failure. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Kawaguchi has just been unreal this postseason.....Schloss just tweeted he has been in on his team's last 9 goals. 

You'd think the other team would figure out to start shadowing him. < facepalm > 

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2017-rbc-cup-rtrc-penticton-vees

Under players to watch, it appears that Jones is a prototypical Sioux. Gotta love that description.  He might see more ice time than most assume.  We'll see if he can crack the lineup on a consistent basis.  Being a Junior, he certainly has experience under his belt.

I guess for me personally I believed he would be a regular. 

18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

How did we end up getting him to UND?

I've wondered that as well.
He didn't exactly have good success at OSU...only 6 pts in essentially one season (only played 3 games Soph year before going BCHL).

He's done great in those two BCHL seasons though.  Excited to see what he brings to the table.