SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, tnt said:

Kawaguchi with 6 assists tonight to take over as the playoff scoring leader and Gabe Bast with a goal for Penticton.

2 pts for bast last night (8 pts in 8 playoff games).  Kawaguchi shredding, that sauce pass schloss retweeted was a beauty.

Braden Costello with 2G 2A in 6GP and Gavin Hain 4G 1A in 12GP seem to be doing pretty well in the USHL following their high school seasons. I hope both decide to play full time in the USHL for their senior seasons, does anyone know what their plans are?

Looking at that 2000 birth year, you have Tychonick who will be playing his second year in BCHL, JBD will be playing his second year in the AJHL. Frisch with the late birthday will only be a Junior in HS. Would be nice to have all four of the early 2000's playing in the juniors their senior years. 

My main concerns right now are with Keane (97) and a little less with Senden (98). Keane isn't scoring at all and he's on a first place team. What are the chances these two ever make it to campus?

47 minutes ago, tnt said:

Kawaguchi with a hat trick after two periods tonight.

Please don't be the guy that puts up PlayStation numbers in the BCHL and does nothing in college.....please don't be the guy that puts up PlayStation numbers in the BCHL and does nothing in college......

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Please don't be the guy that puts up PlayStation numbers in the BCHL and does nothing in college.....please don't be the guy that puts up PlayStation numbers in the BCHL and does nothing in college......

Haha that's a good one.  Those Canadian junior leagues can be tough to figure out.  Good thing with this kid is that he has a nice combo of skill and grit.

anyone know if he still has draft eligibility?  Currently he isn't drafted however he's put up great numbers in juniors.  It can't be all on his size as others are being drafted shorter.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, to be sure there are plenty of guys that can't carry over that production to the next level even after an adjustment period.  Needing some of these players to produce early makes your plea all the more relevant. 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha that's a good one.  Those Canadian junior leagues can be tough to figure out.  Good thing with this kid is that he has a nice combo of skill and grit.

anyone know if he still has draft eligibility?  Currently he isn't drafted however he's put up great numbers in juniors.  It can't be all on his size as others are being drafted shorter.

He turns 20 in May, and I read that a player can't be over 20 before December 31 of the draft year.  

So yes I think?  

59 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He turns 20 in May, and I read that a player can't be over 20 before December 31 of the draft year.  

So yes I think?  

Ok thanks.  It's pretty rare for a player to get drafted in their last year of eligibility but he may have a shot.  Especially as a 6th-7th round flyer.

17 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ok thanks.  It's pretty rare for a player to get drafted in their last year of eligibility but he may have a shot.  Especially as a 6th-7th round flyer.

seems like it would be smart to take a flyer on a guy like that rather than risking having to compete with every other team if he becomes a free agent (especially if you're not a chicago, toronto, etc)

• Upvote 3

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, AJS said:

Braden Costello with 2G 2A in 6GP and Gavin Hain 4G 1A in 12GP seem to be doing pretty well in the USHL following their high school seasons. I hope both decide to play full time in the USHL for their senior seasons, does anyone know what their plans are?

Looking at that 2000 birth year, you have Tychonick who will be playing his second year in BCHL, JBD will be playing his second year in the AJHL. Frisch with the late birthday will only be a Junior in HS. Would be nice to have all four of the early 2000's playing in the juniors their senior years. 

My main concerns right now are with Keane (97) and a little less with Senden (98). Keane isn't scoring at all and he's on a first place team. What are the chances these two ever make it to campus?

Not sure on Costello but I'd be surprised if Hain isn't back in Grand Rapids for his senior season but playing in the USHL before and after the high school season and that is fine for him. I'm not sure what type of player Keane is thought to be but Senden is role guy. He will be a 3rd/4th line guy, penalty killer, and high character guy. He has some offensive skill but he isn't gonna be a guy who lights up the USHL before he gets here.

On March 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM, Rick said:

Yup, when TJ Oshie left high school hockey after his junior year is when he really developed.  It was even more critical for him to take his talents to a higher league because he was only in Class A.  It might have set him back 2 or 3 years if he had returned to Warroad for his senior year.  :0

The Oshie kid playing for Warroad the next year was really good.  He was a senior.  The program said it was TJ.  Your comment about setting him back 2-3 yrs is unfounded. 

Is taking  kids away from the families, friends and communities  really what is best for these kids?  I have always contended that high school kids should be in high school and playing other sports and being involved in other school activites and not be deprived of all of the opportunities, academically, and socially.  For those who aren't ready to go from high school to college, they can go to Juniors after HS. None of these kids should be playing hockey or any other sport exclusively.  The medical studies all show the potential harm to these one sport year round athletes with an increase in injuries and peaking at earlier ages.  What we are doing to our kids is shameful. When Dave Hakstol was looking at one of our kids a couple of years ago he said " tell the kid to stay out for football".  Kids should remain in HS and play soccer or FB or tennis or lacrosse and be in the choir and student council and get caught in the basement by their girlfriends Dad that senior year.  Staying loyal to their community, school and teammates who helped develop their game may be important in building leadership and life skills .  They can to Juniors the next year.  All of those goals and aspirations can wait one year.  The best kids will be fine and those that need more time can have an extra year of two.  I hope all these kids stay in HS.

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, iramurphy said:

The Oshie kid playing for Warroad the next year was really good.  He was a senior.  The program said it was TJ.  Your comment about setting him back 2-3 yrs is unfounded. 

Is taking  kids away from the families, friends and communities  really what is best for these kids?  I have always contended that high school kids should be in high school and playing other sports and being involved in other school activites and not be deprived of all of the opportunities, academically, and socially.  For those who aren't ready to go from high school to college, they can go to Juniors after HS. None of these kids should be playing hockey or any other sport exclusively.  The medical studies all show the potential harm to these one sport year round athletes with an increase in injuries and peaking at earlier ages.  What we are doing to our kids is shameful. When Dave Hakstol was looking at one of our kids a couple of years ago he said " tell the kid to stay out for football".  Kids should remain in HS and play soccer or FB or tennis or lacrosse and be in the choir and student council and get caught in the basement by their girlfriends Dad that senior year.  Staying loyal to their community, school and teammates who helped develop their game may be important in building leadership and life skills .  They can to Juniors the next year.  All of those goals and aspirations can wait one year.  The best kids will be fine and those that need more time can have an extra year of two.  I hope all these kids stay in HS.

We have the same opinion, ira. 

Some posters were saying that kids need to leave high school early so they can play against better competition and thus aid in their development.  I was sarcastically trying to make the point that TJ Oshie left Warroad after his junior year (which I knew he didn't) and it really aided his development (which it didn't because he didn't leave early).  I believe that kids like TJ, Hain, Boeser and many other elite players aren't going to suffer at all in their development if they stay in high school.  I also believe that others who aren't as gifted as TJ could just as well stay in high school and then play juniors.  They might as well play one or two years of junior hockey after they've finished their high school years rather than leave early and play two or three years in the USHL.

On 4/9/2017 at 8:07 PM, Rick said:

We have the same opinion, ira. 

Some posters were saying that kids need to leave high school early so they can play against better competition and thus aid in their development.  I was sarcastically trying to make the point that TJ Oshie left Warroad after his junior year (which I knew he didn't) and it really aided his development (which it didn't because he didn't leave early).  I believe that kids like TJ, Hain, Boeser and many other elite players aren't going to suffer at all in their development if they stay in high school.  I also believe that others who aren't as gifted as TJ could just as well stay in high school and then play juniors.  They might as well play one or two years of junior hockey after they've finished their high school years rather than leave early and play two or three years in the USHL.

But this is what everyone's complaining about....kids getting stuck in juniors because there's no where to go.  If kids are good enough to play juniors (and mature enough to leave home) they should attempt it, unless they really don't want to.  Boeser left after his junior year.

Scheel also on roster, not sure if he is slated to play much.  

Puck seems to find Mismash's stick in the offensive end quite a bit.  Had a few good looks, isn't afraid to shoot the puck. 

Belarus coach wants a penalty called on USA for checking or hitting too hard.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits