SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

19 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I guess my thoughts on our current D group is that their ceiling remains to be seen. They may get a little better or they may get a lot better. For Shaw and Wolanin this is the first year at this level that they're playing meaningful minutes and then you got three freshmen. Hard to hide them like you could with freshmen last year. Another thing I thought about was we haven't sent a lot of defensemen to the NHL in the last decade. Maybe that's why some of the better guys don't come here, I don't know. You hear guys like Jost or Caggs talk about Toews and that probably being the thing that put us on the radar for them. We just don't have a defensemen equivalent of Toews, Parise, Oshie, etc for younger guys to look at and wonder about the path they took to the NHL.

Could be overthinking this. Name the top 10 D in the NHL. Not too many of them played college hockey - Burns, Karlsson, Doughty, Carlson, Keith (well played brief at Mich St) Hedman, Weber, Seabrrok, Subban etc. 

Matt Greene - Has won 2 cups and has a great NHL career. That should be enough from a marketing standpoint. 

25 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Could be overthinking this. Name the top 10 D in the NHL. Not too many of them played college hockey - Burns, Karlsson, Doughty, Carlson, Keith (well played brief at Mich St) Hedman, Weber, Seabrrok, Subban etc. 

Matt Greene - Has won 2 cups and has a great NHL career. That should be enough from a marketing standpoint. 

I think we have as many or more marketing tools as any school in the country.

21 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Ryan Suter would be the top one I would think. Matt Greene isn't really a household name. Greene, Forbort, Chorney, and Stetcher are the guys for us that are regulars this year. No all-stars or guys playing for the national teams. I'm just speculating anyway. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I would bet guys like Toews, Parise, Oshie, etc help when recruiting a player along with everything else.

8 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Ryan Suter would be the top one I would think. Matt Greene isn't really a household name. Greene, Forbort, Chorney, and Stetcher are the guys for us that are regulars this year. No all-stars or guys playing for the national teams. I'm just speculating anyway. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I would bet guys like Toews, Parise, Oshie, etc help when recruiting a player along with everything else.

Suter definitely.  Quietly MVP material. 

13 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

You don't need high enders if you bring in the right guys. (Stetcher, Ladue, Poolman) Also remember a guy like Finley. It's not an exact science, but you can find gems that aren't first or second rounders.

Exactly, Berry does a great job. However high enders on average will be better than the later round or undrafted guys.  UND definitely hit on a few guys several years ago but you can't expect every over ager that comes in to be the next stecher.  If that was the case bubs would be making the big big bucks in the NHL.

It seems many of these higher end kids went elsewhere the last few years. As noted before we have some really nice dmen in the pipeline they are just a few years away.  In the short term we'll be working with more of a "team" mold. Like most other schools we play against :)

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Exactly, Berry does a great job. However high enders on average will be better than the later round or undrafted guys.  UND definitely hit on a few guys several years ago but you can't expect every over ager that comes in to be the next stecher.  If that was the case bubs would be making the big big bucks in the NHL.

It seems many of these higher end kids went elsewhere the last few years. As noted before we have some really nice dmen in the pipeline they are just a few years away.  In the short term we'll be working with more of a "team" mold. Like most other schools we play against :)

I did say earlier in the thread that you're not going to get a Caggs or Stetch every year. Just trying to point out that first round draft picks aren't always necessary. I look at the make up of last years team is ideal. First round talent mixed in with four year guys like Caggs and Stetch. Also guys like Sanderson who stick it out for four years riding the bench for most of it to later contribute as a senior.

6 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

First round talent mixed in with four year guys like Caggs and Stetch.

I really wish Stecher would have stay for his senior year.  Would have drastically changed the dynamic of this team.
Looking at how they have done in the NHL though, he (and Schmaltz) were ready for the jump.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I did say earlier in the thread that you're not going to get a Caggs or Stetch every year. Just trying to point out that first round draft picks aren't always necessary. I look at the make up of last years team is ideal. First round talent mixed in with four year guys like Caggs and Stetch. Also guys like Sanderson who stick it out for four years riding the bench for most of it to later contribute as a senior.

Exactly, you just have guys like Caggs and Stech.....that's the tricky part.

8 hours ago, ChadR said:

It is my hunch that we will never see Gabe Bast in a UND uniform.

Depends on what's really going on with him.  Everything they are saying is it's lower body.  I initially thought it was a concussion issue but I guess it's not.  When he plays he's pretty good.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Depends on what's really going on with him.  Everything they are saying is it's lower body.  I initially thought it was a concussion issue but I guess it's not.  When he plays he's pretty good.

It was something with his groin. 

10 hours ago, ChadR said:

It is my hunch that we will never see Gabe Bast in a UND uniform.

If that is the case and the big question mark on whether or not Evers is still in the plans, Berry and company are really going to have to get on their horse and find some solid D recruits for next season.

16 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

If that is the case and the big question mark on whether or not Evers is still in the plans, Berry and company are really going to have to get on their horse and find some solid D recruits for next season.

C. Poolman, C. Wolanin, H. Shaw, C. Johnson, A. Peski, D. Chartrand, J. Reiger

There's only room for 1 more (obviously assuming Wolanin doesnt leave).  Evers and/or Bast should come in.  That's a pretty thin D core.  On a side note, is Gabe Bast playing junior B hockey?  Looks as though he has 0 points in 5 games since joining the Surrey Knights.  I really hope that there is a technical glitch on elite prospects.

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

There's only room for 1 more (obviously assuming Wolanin doesnt leave).  Evers and/or Bast should come in.  That's a pretty thin D core.  On a side note, is Gabe Bast playing junior B hockey?  Looks as though he has 0 points in 5 games since joining the Surrey Knights.  I really hope that there is a technical glitch on elite prospects.

Why would wolanin leave?? To play jr Bs in Minnesota? Lawlz 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Why would wolanin leave?? To play jr Bs in Minnesota? Lawlz 

I'm pretty sure he received a pro offer after his freshman year.  I'm assuming he'll get one this spring as well.  He definitely needs another year so I'm assuming he doesn't leave.  I think he is much better than most on this forum.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I'm pretty sure he received a pro offer after his freshman year.  I'm assuming he'll get one this spring as well.  He definitely needs another year so I'm assuming he doesn't leave.  I think he is much better than most on this forum.

Wolanin is a very, very talented hockey player. Has he struggled this year, at times, defensively? Absolutely. However, he absolutely has elite skills on the blueline, offensively. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Wolanin is a very, very talented hockey player. Has he struggled this year, at times, defensively? Absolutely. However, he absolutely has elite skills on the blueline, offensively. 

Agreed, the talent is there, the consistency is what has been missing. I'm sure he'll figure it out. I'm a fan, hope he ends up as a 4 year player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I think it's a rehab assignment, get him some game time instead of sitting in the stands.

If he comes next year (nothing has said otherwise), it would have been nice to have him here not part of the team, so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility and work with Poolman to rehab is injury. 

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I think it's a rehab assignment, get him some game time instead of sitting in the stands.

If he comes next year (nothing has said otherwise), it would have been nice to have him here not part of the team, so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility and work with Poolman to rehab is injury. 

Couldn't he redshirt if he wanted?

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Isn't Kierstad coming in next year? I thought at this point he is the only guarantee?

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits