SiouxSports.com Forum

New Recruits

dagies

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Virg Foss interviewed Mark Fabian (Erik's dad) for a story last week. He said that his son wanted to play college hockey at UND and only UND. He is prepared to play another year in the USHL if that is what it takes for him to get a chance to skate for the Sioux.

Looks like the chances are pretty good that he's still coming to UND. I'm pretty sure it is for 2003, though.

Here is a quote from the Mpls Star Tribune this morning that I thought was very interesting:

Zach attack

North Dakota, which plays at Minnesota on Saturday and Sunday, made some noise last weekend by beating Michigan and Michigan State -- the CCHA's top two teams -- in overtime and winning the Great Lakes Invitational. But North Dakota recruit Zach Parise of Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault might have had the best week of all.

Parise had 29 points in seven games at the Mac's midget tournament in Calgary. Shattuck won the tournament for an unprecedented third consecutive year and Parise was the first player to be named tournament MVP two years in a row.

Mac's attracts 25 top teams from all over the world, and close to 200 NHL players -- including Mike Modano, Scott Gomez, Petr Nedved and Dany Heatley -- participated in the tournament as teenagers.

Parise's performance last week drew raves. Calgary Sun reporter Eric Francis wrote that Parise "is simply the best" to have ever played in the tournament. Mac's organizer and longtime hockey scout Carl Archibald said, "He's got great anticipation and he's not one-dimensional like Nedved or Gomez. He sees the ice better and utilizes everyone on the ice much better than they did. He's incredible at both ends of the rink."

Shattuck, the top-ranked midget team in the country, is 31-3-4.

(Edited by dagies at 8:40 am on Jan. 3, 2002)

More Star Tribune info:

The 10-team WCHA has 273 players: 204 from the U.S., 60 from Canada and nine from Europe. More players (119) come from Minnesota than any other state or province. Twenty-four players are from Alberta, followed by Alaska (18) and Wisconsin (16).

That's really quite astounding if you think about it.  I'm sure it is helped by the fact that 4 and basically 5 of the teams are in the state.  But who is splitting hairs, teams would get good players wherever they are from.  to have 119 from one state is outstanding for MN.  

I would expect Zach to put on some weight and strength at UND just to keep up with the pace of the competition.  Given his size I would also expect to see him around for 4 years, much like the Panzers.  That said, I can't wait to see him in a Sioux unifomr next season.

I think the quality of hockey is going to be scary in the WCHA the next few years.  Speaking of scary, that's what the Gophers are.  And you have to like the talent that Blais is gathering as well.

I agree with St. Cloud. I think they are going to continue to be a great team for a while.  CC and Denver are coming on as well.

Is it just because I am paying attention this past year or is the quality of the recruits coming into the WCHA a step up from what there has been in the past?

I think the overall talent pool coming into the WCHA is pretty strong so far.  It has been strong over the years, but for some reason it seems to be concentrating in a few schools, Minnesota, UND, SCSU, DU and CC.  Wisco is suffering from Sauer-itis and would have a hard time capitalizing on Gretzky.

Glad to have Murray and Parise on board.  I think with the experience our frosh are getting this year (school of hard knocks) we have a pretty bright future.  Now, if we can just get this season going ... ;)

I don't like to think about the future too much, as it makes me feel like !!!!, but it is pretty exciting to think about the forward depth being assembled on this team.  Now about that PP qarterback...

If Parise is that good, size won't keep him at UND for four years.  But if he does leave early, it will probably mean that he has been excellent, which will have been good for all.

A lot of fans of other teams were speculating a little while ago while the Sioux were down that Parise had made a "hasty" and "impulsive" decision and that he was not thinking of going back on his LOI and going somewhere else.  Some speculated to MN.

My suggestion is this puts an end to that bit of hopeful thinking.  I believe Parise was quoted early on as saying he wanted Murray to go to the same place he was going.

Now Murray commits to UND.  My guess is Parise is solid as well.  too bad.   :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

On that note, SSM has updated its stats page.  It currently shows (GP, G, A, Points)

Parise   40  53-71-124

Murray  40  41-58-99

Hirsch   40  41-51-92

Whether it translates to the next level only time will tell, but those guys sure do dominate the Midgets.

Had I realized that game was Sunday afternoon I just might have delayed my departure to the cities so that my buddy and i could have taken in that game.  However, I'm glad we didn't, as the roads got nasty down here late afternoon.

If anyone saw that game and would care to pass on their impressions of Parise and Murray, much appreciated.