SiouxSports.com Forum

Most Memorable Sioux Moments

GeauxSioux

What are your most memorable moments regarding the Sioux? They don't all have to be victories. 5 of mine in no particular order

1982 National Championship in hockey. I watched the game at the Spud in East Grand Forks. Great time. I can still remember the Wisconsin player breaking his stick by hitting on the top of the net after the Sioux scored.

1987 National Championship in hockey. Since I didn't have ESPN in my apartment, I watched the game at McGuires Irish Pub in Pensacola. Most of the people in the place were watching the Indiana BB game, but there was a group from Michigan State I had fun watching the game with.

2001 National Championship in Football. It happened to be on the same day we were having a baby shower for our first child. I had a lot of relatives watching along with me on the wild ride of the last 5 minutes of the game. Wow, what a finish.

1993 Winning the NCC conference playoff in Sioux Falls. It was the only time I went and watched the Sioux play in the tournament. The Sioux beat the Bison in the championship and I helped throw Glas in the pool back at the hotel.

1983 loss to Wisconsin to end the Sioux season. Wisconsin scored what appeared to be the winning goal of the game in the second OT only to have it disallowed due to an illegal stick. With the Sioux on the PP, I thought for sure the Sioux were going to win. Wisconsin scored a shorty and went on to win the NC from there. The seat that I was in was right next to visitor's tunnel, right across from Bruce Tellman. I remember seeing Terry Kleisinger look up at the crowd yelling and swearing in his excitement. Someone threw a piece of ice and hit him in the head. He looked over and yelled at me. If you are reading this Terry, it wasn't me. :D ............ FYI, this is what Terry is doing now.

I know there was another thread similar to this, but only for the decade. I'm old and have many more memories, both good and bad, than just the past 10 years.

I remember a St. Patty's Day near-spanking that instead turned into a heartbreaker in overtime. St. Cloud State defeated North Dakota 6-5 to claim the 2001 WCHA Final Five Championship. Derek Eastman scored the game-winner in overtime after UND scored three goals in the final ten minutes of regulation to force the extra session.

I was at the game in the nosebleed section among a throng of raucous and somewhat cocky Husky fans... With about 13 seconds left (that sticks out in my mind because I raised my eyes to the jumbotron one last time before the faceoff) the Sioux won the draw in the Husky end and sent the puck back to the point where Travis Roche launched zinger that beat the St. Cloud goalie. From my vantage, I could distinctly see the black of the puck move the twine in the back of the net. All I remember is leaping and screaming for joy and almost falling down 10 rows of Xcel seats; thank goodness my wife steadied me on my way down!

It sucked to lose in OT, but the pain was easier to take after such an unfathomable comeback to tie it up in regulation. I will never forget that game.

What are your most memorable moments regarding the Sioux? They don't all have to be victories. 5 of mine in no particular order

1982 National Championship in hockey. I watched the game at the Spud in East Grand Forks. Great time. I can still remember the Wisconsin player breaking his stick by hitting on the top of the net after the Sioux scored.

1987 National Championship in hockey. Since I didn't have ESPN in my apartment, I watched the game at McGuires Irish Pub in Pensacola. Most of the people in the place were watching the Indiana BB game, but there was a group from Michigan State I had fun watching the game with.

2001 National Championship in Football. It happened to be on the same day we were having a baby shower for our first child. I had a lot of relatives watching along with me on the wild ride of the last 5 minutes of the game. Wow, what a finish.

1993 Winning the NCC conference playoff in Sioux Falls. It was the only time I went and watched the Sioux play in the tournament. The Sioux beat the Bison in the championship and I helped throw Glas in the pool back at the hotel.

1983 loss to Wisconsin to end the Sioux season. Wisconsin scored what appeared to be the winning goal of the game in the second OT only to have it disallowed due to an illegal stick. With the Sioux on the PP, I thought for sure the Sioux were going to win. Wisconsin scored a shorty and went on to win the NC from there. The seat that I was in was right next to visitor's tunnel, right across from Bruce Tellman. I remember seeing Terry Kleisinger look up at the crowd yelling and swearing in his excitement. Someone threw a piece of ice and hit him in the head. He looked over and yelled at me. If you are reading this Terry, it wasn't me. :D ............ FYI, this is what Terry is doing now.

I know there was another thread similar to this, but only for the decade. I'm old and have many more memories, both good and bad, than just the past 10 years.

Under the category

-Fighting Sioux football

-Single reception that changed an important game:

1) Mike Voelker at Augustana 1979, td catch at the end after UND trailed most of the game.

2) Jim Kleinsasser at NDAC 1998, catch and long run for td late in the game to seal it. I did feel bad for the home crowd though.

3) Chad Mustard vs. Pittsburg State in 2001 playoff. I don't think it was a touchdown but it pretty much started the party. **

4) Luke Schleusner vs Grand Valley State in 2001 title game, down to the 2 yard line with seconds left.

** I've been to 4 World Series games and NFC title game in the dome, Final 4, Packers @ Favre 2009, etc. The 2001 playoff games against Pittsburg and UC Davis were as loud as any of those games. It can happen again.

PS - we should recruit receivers with names that are easier to spell.

1983 loss to Wisconsin to end the Sioux season. Wisconsin scored what appeared to be the winning goal of the game in the second OT only to have it disallowed due to an illegal stick. With the Sioux on the PP, I thought for sure the Sioux were going to win. Wisconsin scored a shorty and went on to win the NC from there. this is what Terry is doing now.

Drove from SD to Oakes to watch this on PPTV; left for home when Wisco scored the first OT goal, and didn't know there was a stick measurement and another OT until many days later. Only thing worse was the surprising non-selection of the Sioux for the tourney shortly thereafter, with the FF in GF.

Drove from SD to Oakes to watch this on PPTV; left for home when Wisco scored the first OT goal, and didn't know there was a stick measurement and another OT until many days later. Only thing worse was the surprising non-selection of the Sioux for the tourney shortly thereafter, with the FF in GF.

I know what you mean, we were already in the concourse trying to beat the traffic rush when the crowd exploded over the illegal stick call. We turned around and went back to see the rest of the game, only to be disappointed one more time.