SiouxSports.com Forum

"Sioux Yeah Yeah"

Cratter

Does anyone know how/when/where this cheer started?

I love it cause other teams hate it.

Great hearing it in throughout St Paul after winning the Final Five.

:D

I have no idea! But it was an amazing time walking through the hallways at the Excel after the Sioux games. :D The cheers were loud and high fives were easy to come by. Wow it feels good to be a Sioux fan!

Does anyone know how/when/where this cheer started?

I love it cause other teams hate it.

Great hearing it in throughout St Paul after winning the Final Five.

:D

I'm not exactly sure but the first time I remember hearing it was at the Old Ralph in the mid 90's. I want to say either '94-'95 or '95-96'. It may have started earlier but it was still fairly new (I believe) because the "yea yea Sioux" response didn't have the "crowd support" it does now.

One thing about my time at the Old Ralph regarding this cheer was that there was protocol to be followed in the issuance of this cheer.

I think it had to be done in the first half of the period or perhaps the first lull in crowd noise.

It was explained to me once, but I have long forgotten.

Diggler, you still out there? You might remember.

One thing about my time at the Old Ralph regarding this cheer was that there was protocol to be followed in the issuance of this cheer.

I think it had to be done in the first half of the period or perhaps the first lull in crowd noise.

It was explained to me once, but I have long forgotten.

Diggler, you still out there? You might remember.

That part isn't familiar to me--that could have been the pact among some students but my impression was that it happened more than once per game. Starting in 1993, I was a regular at hockey games. I am sure that I didn't hear it in my first season. I would peg it as '95-96 or the magical '96-97 season, which is similar to dmksioux's timeline. It instantly became a student section favorite; I don't think the entire arena responded but scattered people and little kids throughout certainly did.

Many friends didn't, but I loved the cheer from the get-go. It was a little quirky, clean, a cheer FOR our team and very original.

One difference from today: The "Sioux yeah yeaaah" is the same today as before, but the "Yeah, Sioux Sioux!" used to be three short shouts. I'd say the response evolved around 2000 to today's "Yeah, Sioux Siouuux." Personally, I feel the old way is more ... strong/forceful/manly ... and less awkward. But I can live with it.

One difference from today: The "Sioux yeah yeaaah" is the same today as before, but the "Yeah, Sioux Sioux!" used to be three short shouts. I'd say the response evolved around 2000 to today's "Yeah, Sioux Siouuux." Personally, I feel the old way is more ... strong/forceful/manly ... and less awkward. But I can live with it.

I don't think I've heard it the old way but I think I would like that.

That part isn't familiar to me--that could have been the pact among some students but my impression was that it happened more than once per game. Starting in 1993, I was a regular at hockey games. I am sure that I didn't hear it in my first season. I would peg it as '95-96 or the magical '96-97 season, which is similar to dmksioux's timeline. It instantly became a student section favorite; I don't think the entire arena responded but scattered people and little kids throughout certainly did.

Many friends didn't, but I loved the cheer from the get-go. It was a little quirky, clean, a cheer FOR our team and very original.

I agree with Kirk that the evolution to the drawn-out response has been a step in the wrong direction. In addition to the adjectives Kirk uses above to describe the "old way", the earlier incarnation of the cheer was easier for a crowd to shout together; therefore, louder.

Dave

I agree with Kirk that the evolution to the drawn-out response has been a step in the wrong direction. In addition to the adjectives Kirk uses above to describe the "old way", the earlier incarnation of the cheer was easier for a crowd to shout together; therefore, louder.

Dave

It was great at the Final Five. Cheering after the games. From our Corner in the suite level there was a good entrance where we started many Lets Go Sioux! chants.

Proud of the Sioux fans last weekend. We were a loud force in and around that stadium.

It was great at the Final Five. Cheering after the games. From our Corner in the suite level there was a good entrance where we started many Lets Go Sioux! chants.

Proud of the Sioux fans last weekend. We were a loud force in and around that stadium.

Last weekend is something I am gonna remember for a really long time!

Our fan base is loyal and LOUD and I'm proud to be a NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

:D:D