SiouxSports.com Forum

Ben Jacobson

choyt3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacobson would be stupid to leave UNI for the U of I. I think Ben could go to a better school then Iowa as a coach.

This is an easy move for Ben. He recruits the same area, has a chance on better players, gets at least what Mac got at Iowa St. ($750,000/year) plus bonus money for tourney appearances, and goes to a great conference. No way he stays at N. Iowa if Iowa comes calling.

McDermott probably a candidate as well.

Based on Mac's last couple years, I don't think Iowa would consider him. I also think its like going from UND to NDSU. Don't think Mac would put his name in knowing the number of people in Ames who would be upset if they Mac was looking at the "other" University.

McDermott probably a candidate as well.

Heck, there are people calling for Mac's head in Ames after a 4-12 Big 12 record and a losing season overall so I doubt he would be seriously considered for the Iowa job. That being said, I am sure the Mac will get that program turned around!

Heck, there are people calling for Mac's head in Ames after a 4-12 Big 12 record and a losing season overall so I doubt he would be seriously considered for the Iowa job. That being said, I am sure the Mac will get that program turned around!

Totally agree. If Wesley Johnson had stayed, how good would he have been this year? The tough part of ball at that level; you're one or two kids away from being really good or really bad. Mac has time at Iowa St. He'll get it fixed.

Jake sure didn't hurt his chances for moving up the coaching ladder yesterday.

Now there are rumblings that Tubby Smith could be moving on to Auburn. So...how about Ben Jacobson to Minnesota?

Would hate to see the Gophs lose Tubby but Jake might be a very interesting hire.

How did this work out for you....?

We must be mind readers cause I was thinking the exact same thing. Even if he had lost, he's beaten Iowa and Iowa St. the last 3 years. They'll talk to Jake.

By the way, Northern Iowa will be in the game with Kansas today. The word throttled won't come up.

Summitforever guy makes 11 posts here and number 11 is a real stinker. Wanna put down ex-Sioux, #12 better improve!!

We must be mind readers cause I was thinking the exact same thing. Even if he had lost, he's beaten Iowa and Iowa St. the last 3 years. They'll talk to Jake.

By the way, Northern Iowa will be in the game with Kansas today. The word throttled won't come up.

Summitforever guy makes 11 posts here and number 11 is a real stinker. Wanna put down ex-Sioux, #12 better improve!!

betcha he gets an offer after that one.!!!!!!!

I think Coach Jake should follow the same model set my Mark Few @ Gonzaga. Take a mid-major and continue to make them a nationally known team. At this point in time it seems easier to recruit athletes to top level mid-majors than lower level high majors. Those coaches get to sell a much higher chance of getting to the Dance @ N. Iowa, Gonzaga, St. Mary's etc... than right now at Iowa, Iowa State, DePaul, St. John's etc...

I think Coach Jake should follow the same model set my Mark Few @ Gonzaga. Take a mid-major and continue to make them a nationally known team. At this point in time it seems easier to recruit athletes to top level mid-majors than lower level high majors. Those coaches get to sell a much higher chance of getting to the Dance @ N. Iowa, Gonzaga, St. Mary's etc... than right now at Iowa, Iowa State, DePaul, St. John's etc...

Biggest reason I disagree is now is the the time for Ben to set himself financially for the rest of his life. He can coach in the Big 10. The athletes he wants for the style of play he likes will come to him at a Big 10 school. He can triple his salary, get a 5 year deal, and be set. Its the right time to go if its the right job.

well, Ben Jacobson should send some flowers or his first paycheck next year to Cole Aldrich, can you believe how that guy disappeared and then refused to come back into the game on his sore ankle?

Always thought Aldrich was way overrated. Seldom plays against someone his size. The NBA will be a rude awakening. BTW, how big is this story of a former Sioux now coaching in the Sweet Sixteen? Much bigger story than the Bison doing the one and done thing. Also, did anyone see the 10000 folks disguised as blue empty seats at the Oakland/Pitt game in Milwaukee. Lots of interest in those Summit teams I guess. Lost by what, 25? Had one guy out, but still, really got whupped on. My knees are quivering about getting into the Summit.

There will be empty seats at the hockey regionals too, this week. Or is that just not possible, because its hockey? I hate to tell you this, but there is a reason why CBS pays just over 500 million a year to the NCAA for the broadcast rights for that tournament. It's called interest, and there is a lot of it with NCAA basketball, whether there are people in those seats watching Oakland & Pitt or not. Also, keep this in mind, this is not anti-hockey as it is a fact for the hockey only fans out there. The NCAA has an opt out with CBS this year(drop date Aug. 31st). It is no secret that Disney Corp, (ESPN & ABC) want it because they can use all their channels to cover every minute of every game of basketball, if the NCAA moves to Disney Corp, where will they put NCAA hockey? It already is getting bumped to the ESPN 360's of the world. That would not bode well for NCAA televised hockey. I guarantee just because CBS would lose basketball they would not be looking to replace it with hockey. They can tell by who is buying the advertising now that there isn't any revenue there. Look at the televised broadcasts of the regional NCAA hockey tournaments and tell me where the national sponsorship $$$'s is coming from. Then look at the basketball coverage and look at which advertisers are spending their money there. If Disney Corp gets the tournament I guarantee those sponsors are going to go to who ever has the tournament.

Again this is not anti-hockey, but this is the situation that could impact hockey, and should concern hockey fans. But to point out that because you saw empty seats of the Oakland/Pitt game at the NCAA tournament is an indicator that we shouldn't pursue the Summit league is astonishingly absurd.

This post has little to do with this thread but I had to respond due to Ole's comment.

Ben & his wife Dawn are 2 of the nicest people you ever could meet. It's truly fantastic to see them have the success that they are enjoying right now. Ben's going to have a lot of opportunities elsewhere. I know the people of N. Iowa would love to keep him, but at the same time Ben's going to have to do what's right for his family and in the end the contracts that will be presented would provide for his family for a very long time. Whatever they choose I support, and I hope this run can continue for at least a few more games.

Lastly you look and see what the mid majors have been able to accomplish during this tournament, and it gives me hope. I realize we are so far away as far as talent is concerned right now, but maybe by the time we are elgible we will be closer. All it takes is a few key pieces surrounded by a good supporting cast and you can create some special stories at the tournament. We have a long ways to go, A LONG LONG, way to go, but at least we have something to shoot for.