SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Great West Tournament

dakotadan

Hard fouls do get emotions going but Tom said the kid never even lost his footing so it does make a person think it probably wasn't too flagrant. Those are exactly the type of things that happen in sports when 2 teams don't like each other.

You've got to give a coach more than a couple of years, especially when you are making the jump from d2 to d1. When you look at this year the best player (bledshoe) was not at full strength until half way thru the season. With him full strength i say they when several of those games they lost. Injuries plaqued this team all year and they played 5 red shirt freshmen 20+ minutes per game. The young players hopefully learned alot. Prior to the last 5 games they looked to me like they had improved alot from the beginning of the year. They have talent they just need to learn to protect the ball and shoot better. Their shooting was inconsistant but when they did shoot well and didnt turn it over they looked really good. The coaches cant shoot or pass the ball for the players. I really think they will be fine next year and especially in 2 years. I believe its also alittle bit of a learning curve for the coaches.

Your kidding right? More time, what more do we need to see in this clown? Sorry but when you make comments about the players can't shoot or pass Jones is the guy who is recruiting these kids with no talent.

Why do we continue to say give this guy more time. In my opinon we've seen enough and to keep making excuses for this guy really pisses me off.

Until he is gone my four season tickets will not be renewed..This will be my last post on this guy because I have absolutely nothing positive to say about him.

Your kidding right? More time, what more do we need to see in this clown? Sorry but when you make comments about the players can't shoot or pass Jones is the guy who is recruiting these kids with no talent.

Why do we continue to say give this guy more time. In my opinon we've seen enough and to keep making excuses for this guy really pisses me off.

Until he is gone my four season tickets will not be renewed..This will be my last post on this guy because I have absolutely nothing positive to say about him.

If that is the sentiment of even a small group of season ticket holders, Faison needs to pull the trigger. I have been a Jones supporter and really hopeful that this was the year to kick it in gear for MBB. Unfortunately this was one of the worst years for the men in my memory. Something needs to be done or you will completely lose fan base.

If that is the sentiment of even a small group of season ticket holders, Faison needs to pull the trigger. I have been a Jones supporter and really hopeful that this was the year to kick it in gear for MBB. Unfortunately this was one of the worst years for the men in my memory. Something needs to be done or you will completely lose fan base.

I've been a pretty hardcore UND basketball fan for a long, long time. I grew up going to games and can recall back to the days of Chris Fahrbach in the late 1970's. But my interest really started to wane when Rich Glas began losing to DAC teams, and I'm now to the point of having a hard time mustering enough interest to complain all that much about the current sad state of affairs. I'd have never thought that possible five years ago, but it's reality now.

I'm not going to pretend I know what's best for UND basketball. I'll leave that to Faison. But if somebody like me can lose interest after caring so much for so long, it should concern the administration. And I know of others who feel the exact same way.

I could easily see myself becoming passionate again, but it's certainly not going to happen if we continue to see the product we've seen over the last few years of the Glas era, and the first four years of the Jones era.

I'm not going to pretend I know what's best for UND basketball. I'll leave that to Faison. But if somebody like me can lose interest after caring so much for so long, it should concern the administration. And I know of others who feel the exact same way.

I could easily see myself becoming passionate again, but it's certainly not going to happen if we continue to see the product we've seen over the last few years of the Glas era, and the first four years of the Jones era.

In years past, Jones' teams have at least been able to rally to a reasonable year-end conclusion - giving false hope.

We can't even win against sub 330 RPI - most of the teams at the level are not just horrible at the DI level, but they are bad DII teams, mediocre DIII teams, and only barely competitive NAIA teams.

What is so horribly discouraging is that UND is rated #790 overall - all college divisions. If we were still DII, we would be rated #187 out of 282 teams.

Imagine, 186 DII teams are better than us. Even worse, 60 DIII teams and 86 NAIA teams (DI and II) are better than us.

Even at the end, Glas' teams were not that pathetic.

I know these players have given their all, but the situation was just not fair to them.

The only good notes out of this situation are that:

a. we can't go much lower - although the outlook for next year may be even more grim.

b. no one will ever take for granted that UND will be competitive at the DI level - something has to change

c. when UND is successful again, it will seem miraculous.

I've been fairly vocal about how I've felt about this year's bball team from the beginning of the season after I went to my first game this year and saw the product on the court. My feelings haven't changed, and have actually been amplified. Personally, I'm a huge basketball fan. I love the sport, but watching what our men's team did to basketball this past year was just painful. You're right, it's not the players fault that they were brought together and given the same color jerseys to play basketball together this year. That lies strictly on the coaching staff. Jones needs to go, and if Faison decides that the altercation at the end of the GWC tourney is a good scapegoat to can him I wouldn't blame him. I do not know coach Jones personally but from what I have heard he is a fairly good guy and I do think that it's fair to ridicule him strictly from a professional stance and not make any comments about him as a human being. His body of work at UND has been awful. The current team shows no promise for the future. I hate to say it but unless we get either amazing freshmen coming in or some solid JUCO transfers we are going to be horrible for a long long time. The players on the court for UND are not even the best basketball players walking around the UND campus........do a little research on Dominique Bennett from the football team and you will see what I mean, we have the Texas 5A state tournament MVP walking around our campus and not playing basketball for us.......I'm not saying that's anyone's fault but the point is that our other sports have shown the ability to bring in some decent athletes and well.........I didn't see a single ATHLETE on the court for UND this year for basketball. The lowpoint of the season for me was when I was watching one of the games on TV and Mertens got a dunk and Jody Norstadt made a comment that we had 2 dunks in 1 game. If that accomplishment is noteworthy for a men's college basketball team then not much else needs to be said about the current state of your team. We need a fresh start and fresh faces if there is any hope of retaining any type of fan base. I don't blame the people who don't want to renew their season tickets, something does need to be done and it needs to be done now before this gets much worse if that's even possible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something will be fixed soon. I mean Faison did come from NMSU and they have a very respectable program down there so he has to know something about having a successful bball program.

I've been fairly vocal about how I've felt about this year's bball team from the beginning of the season after I went to my first game this year and saw the product on the court. My feelings haven't changed, and have actually been amplified. Personally, I'm a huge basketball fan. I love the sport, but watching what our men's team did to basketball this past year was just painful. You're right, it's not the players fault that they were brought together and given the same color jerseys to play basketball together this year. That lies strictly on the coaching staff. Jones needs to go, and if Faison decides that the altercation at the end of the GWC tourney is a good scapegoat to can him I wouldn't blame him. I do not know coach Jones personally but from what I have heard he is a fairly good guy and I do think that it's fair to ridicule him strictly from a professional stance and not make any comments about him as a human being. His body of work at UND has been awful. The current team shows no promise for the future. I hate to say it but unless we get either amazing freshmen coming in or some solid JUCO transfers we are going to be horrible for a long long time. The players on the court for UND are not even the best basketball players walking around the UND campus........do a little research on Dominique Bennett from the football team and you will see what I mean, we have the Texas 5A state tournament MVP walking around our campus and not playing basketball for us.......I'm not saying that's anyone's fault but the point is that our other sports have shown the ability to bring in some decent athletes and well.........I didn't see a single ATHLETE on the court for UND this year for basketball. The lowpoint of the season for me was when I was watching one of the games on TV and Mertens got a dunk and Jody Norstadt made a comment that we had 2 dunks in 1 game. If that accomplishment is noteworthy for a men's college basketball team then not much else needs to be said about the current state of your team. We need a fresh start and fresh faces if there is any hope of retaining any type of fan base. I don't blame the people who don't want to renew their season tickets, something does need to be done and it needs to be done now before this gets much worse if that's even possible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something will be fixed soon. I mean Faison did come from NMSU and they have a very respectable program down there so he has to know something about having a successful bball program.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying but...................until we are in a legit conference, no one of any stature will touch this job. Until we are in a legit conference, we can't schedule anyone of any legitimacy either. No one wants this job, no one wants to play us, and no one wants to play here until we are in a conference.

...until we are in a legit conference, no one of any stature will touch this job. Until we are in a legit conference, we can't schedule anyone of any legitimacy either. No one wants this job, no one wants to play us, and no one wants to play here until we are in a conference.

I call B.S. on that. If the position paid decently, coaches would apply for this job because we are half-way through the transition. As far as non-conference schedule, it's actually pretty good - have no idea where you're coming on that. BCS-type schools aren't going to come here no matter what our status. The conference issue will be settled within eight months.

The main issue is that we don't pay worth s*** for a DI BB coach, and especially the assistants.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying but...................until we are in a legit conference, no one of any stature will touch this job. Until we are in a legit conference, we can't schedule anyone of any legitimacy either. No one wants this job, no one wants to play us, and no one wants to play here until we are in a conference.

Yep, no coach worth hiring goes near the job without a conference. Gotta have it to recruit and gain some kind of traction.

I call B.S. on that. If the position paid decently, coaches would apply for this job because we are half-way through the transition. As far as non-conference schedule, it's actually pretty good - have no idea where you're coming on that. BCS-type schools aren't going to come here no matter what our status. The conference issue will be settled within eight months.

The main issue is that we don't pay worth s*** for a DI BB coach, and especially the assistants.

I'll take back the scheduling part of what I said but I stand by the coach and player part. We need a league to show kids who and where we will play. A coach needs to know who he's playing to know the type of kid he needs to recruit. If you are in the MVC, you need some big corn-fed posts. The summit is more perimeter oriented. What we're doing right now is just recruiting to fill the roster and thats why we really don't have an identity as a bball team.

I'll take back the scheduling part of what I said but I stand by the coach and player part. We need a league to show kids who and where we will play. A coach needs to know who he's playing to know the type of kid he needs to recruit. If you are in the MVC, you need some big corn-fed posts. The summit is more perimeter oriented. What we're doing right now is just recruiting to fill the roster and thats why we really don't have an identity as a bball team.

I will admit, I was not originally in favor of going D1, but if Kup and Thomas had had any kind of vision a lot of UND's issues would now be history. Very frustrating to see especially in view of the modest successes of NDSU and SDSU. UND had equal or better programs before those schools moved up and now BB is in shambles. Looking forward to 2013 and beyond. Hope I am still on this side of the grass to see it.

Yep, no coach worth hiring goes near the job without a conference. Gotta have it to recruit and gain some kind of traction.

Seems like a certain coach who is now at Colorado State took a position at NDSU that had lousy facilities, had an impending transition, and no conference.

Seems like a certain coach who is now at Colorado State took a position at NDSU that had lousy facilities, had an impending transition, and no conference.

I don't think DI was exactly the plan when Tim was hired, it may have been an idea but it wasn't a sure thing. He was hired in spring of 2001 and the announcement to go DI was in the fall of 2002.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't start looking for a coach until you can say UND has at least a conference invite. It makes the job about a 100 times more attractive.

hey guys, Tim Miles was told about ndsu going D1 when he was hired. Craig Smith (mayville) was another guy that und should've hired instead of brian jones. But now with craig at CSU, he wont be returning to und anytime soon, especially with miles & saul's influence on him.

Now, my bigger question is this, the Summit league president and higher up's don't want UND in the conference due to the nickname mess, but the bigger problem is the und fanbase ripping on the summit for the past 4-5 years saying its a miserable conference, et al.

So I guess Im wondering what the REAL UND BBALL fanbase wants??

but the bigger problem is the und fanbase ripping on the summit for the past 4-5 years saying its a miserable conference, et al.

So I guess you had no idea that the NDSU fan base referred to the Summit as the ugly fat chic that no one wants to date? This was before NDSU was rejected several times by the Big Sky and finally accepted the fat chic's marriage proposal.

To SDSU fan base's credit, they always thought the Summit was hot. :lol:

ha ha, I agree with your sdsu statement, those people down there need a hobby.

but, I think NDSU was pretty modest when they accepted the summit league deal. You are correct about the Big Sky, they wanted nothing to do with NDSU after 2002 when NDSU beat Montana in football. Its going to be an interesting year coming up, might be some shake ups in other conferences that will affect many teams.

hey guys, Tim Miles was told about ndsu going D1 when he was hired. Craig Smith (mayville) was another guy that und should've hired instead of brian jones. But now with craig at CSU, he wont be returning to und anytime soon, especially with miles & saul's influence on him.

Now, my bigger question is this, the Summit league president and higher up's don't want UND in the conference due to the nickname mess, but the bigger problem is the und fanbase ripping on the summit for the past 4-5 years saying its a miserable conference, et al.

I don't know that people have really "ripped" on the conference; its more about ripping NDSU and if they're in the conference, then it must be bad. Whatever conference UND gets in it will be a 1 team conference when it comes to the NCAA tourney, that can't be denied. Personally a conference with NDSU, UND, SDSU, and USD is about the best we can hope for if we ever want people in the seats again in GF. The old rivalries are still the best we can hope for.