SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Great West Tournament

dakotadan

Ed Grom just said that we are hosting the GWC Baseball tournament next season...............that's kind of odd to me. With the Betty, it seems like we'd be a natural host for volleyball. And leading the league in attendance for mens and womens basketball, I'm surprised UVU gets, or even wants, the tournament for the first 2 years.

It didn't look so "kind" to me. Either something happened in this game, or it was something that hung over from their game in Grand Forks. Hopefully this will put a little fire under their rears for the offseason and next season. Only time will tell.

Agreed. I hate to say it, but there doesn't seem to be much of a difference from the Rich Glas era. I think the quality of players is up, but W/L doesn't show it. I was really up when Coach Jones was hired, but I'm running low on patience.

Agreed. I hate to say it, but there doesn't seem to be much of a difference from the Rich Glas era. I think the quality of players is up, but W/L doesn't show it. I was really up when Coach Jones was hired, but I'm running low on patience.

Some of us ran out of patience early in the season. :silly: Losing Bledsoe won't help our scoring offense: the Princeton offense needs the outside shooting. Maybe Schuler can provide it next year.

Interesting how Denver's record has progressed after they hired a new coach who implemented the Princeton offense:

2006-7: 4-25

2007-8: 11-19

2008-9: 15-16

2009-10: 19-13 and semifinals of Sunbelt tournament

This year, late in the conference season, Denver even began drawing crowds of 4000 to Magness Arena for basketball, which is practically unheard of for them.

Jones is safe for another year. But if there isn't a glimmer of hope starting next year ...

Wonder how many tweets we can expect in the off season that say "practice is going good" "the guys are working hard" the guys are pumped for the first game" recruiting is going well"

just for wishful thinking.... any possible coaches out there that maybe we would look at?

maybe the winona state coach?

Whats the biggest difference between the Rich Glas Elite Eight teams of the early 90's and the Sioux teams of late? Is it offense, defense, coaching what is it.

The strange thing to me is that Brekke/Ralston signed Jones to a relatively lengthy contract extension based upon an NCC tournament runner-up finish back in 2007-08, particularly considering neither the 2006-07 nor 2007-08 seasons were especially good aside from the two tournament wins. For some reason, I had thought Jones was only under contract through the 2011-12 season, but it's actually through the 2012-13 season.

Talent. McDermott as assistant coach.

We have a winner!!

I went to the conference tournament in Sioux Falls back in the early '90's. The Sioux won the tournament. Sitting a few rows back behind the Sioux bench, I learned a bit about why the Sioux were successful at that point. Mac was the man.

I want to believe that Jones is the right man for the job and I want to believe that UND didn't screw up on the hire. But if you look at the records for Denver posted earlier, ours don't look anywhere near that impressive. Now yeah, we might have been playing tougher competition, but then you need to really look at who you are scheduling. The women can get away with putting upper talent D1 teams on their schedule, because they have the recent history of winning, and I believe the women believe in Roebuck. But on the men's side...not so much. I agree, Jones has one more year, but anything after that, unless this sinking ship is righted, we should be looking elsewhere.

You've got to give a coach more than a couple of years, especially when you are making the jump from d2 to d1. When you look at this year the best player (bledshoe) was not at full strength until half way thru the season. With him full strength i say they when several of those games they lost. Injuries plaqued this team all year and they played 5 red shirt freshmen 20+ minutes per game. The young players hopefully learned alot. Prior to the last 5 games they looked to me like they had improved alot from the beginning of the year. They have talent they just need to learn to protect the ball and shoot better. Their shooting was inconsistant but when they did shoot well and didnt turn it over they looked really good. The coaches cant shoot or pass the ball for the players. I really think they will be fine next year and especially in 2 years. I believe its also alittle bit of a learning curve for the coaches.

You've got a valid point sioux2013. Injuries happen, and there's not much you can do about it. I wasn't around for the first part of the season, so I don't really know how well they played or didn't play with or without Bledsoe. I think what's frustrating to me is that things still aren't clicking. I think the loss of Archer was huge this year. He's going to be a good one down the road. And I don't want this to become a Travis Mertens slam thread, but to me, the guy was not a teammate. I've never seen a team where guys give high 5's on substitutions and whatnot, except for one guy, who was Mertens. I can't say that it was ALL the time, but I didn't see it very much. Also, I've never seen a player walk down the court on a consistent basis when the entire team is at least jogging. His arrogance really bothered me, and to be honest, I'm won't be sad to not see him on the bench next year. And good Lord, I sure hope he doesn't try football, which is something I've heard rumors of on this site. I don't care how good he was in high school, we don't need a guy like that on the football team. End rant.