SiouxSports.com Forum

Oil Booms in North Dakota

star2city

I think the Ruth's Chris comment was meant to reflect on the Williston boom itself.  Realty is 3 retail develops are in the process of development. The next couple of years wild be interesting.   after retail development the manufacturing will increase.  population will follow.

I wonder when production picks up again if people will be even more reluctant to move there again knowing they could be out of a job again in the near future.

Why wouldn't people move to the Bakken.  As infrastructure develops, more retail, top of the line recreation center, new High School, free tuition to WSC for Williams county graduates, and rent or homeownership cost moderating, industry employees earning $70,000 and up will enjoy living in the Bakken.

There's half the rigs and half the construction as opposed to last year.

"These people" didn't move there to work in retail. They moved on the hope of mega bucks working in the oil field and are more likely to move back home than apply for other area jobs waiting for the upswing.

There's half the rigs and half the construction as opposed to last year.

"These people" didn't move there to work in retail. They moved on the hope of mega bucks working in the oil field and are more likely to move back home than apply for other area jobs waiting for the upswing.

A lot of the people that moved for oil jobs are used to the oil industry. They know all about the ups and downs. They also know that the same slowdown is affecting other oil areas. Some will move away and some will take "regular" jobs to hold out until things pick up on the rigs. Others came from places where there were very few jobs of any kind, and that hasn't improved in a lot of those places. Most know that they are going to have a hard time making big bucks anyplace in the oil industry right now.

Why wouldn't people move to the Bakken.  As infrastructure develops, more retail, top of the line recreation center, new High School, free tuition to WSC for Williams county graduates, and rent or homeownership cost moderating, industry employees earning $70,000 and up will enjoy living in the Bakken.

Because besides the free tuition to the junior college, those things already exist in every major North Dakota city.

Grand Forks recently build a new wellness center and has the states nicest indoor water park.

My uncle told me his daughter just got a job at Target in Bismarck starting at $14 an hour.

A lot of the people that moved for oil jobs are used to the oil industry. They know all about the ups and downs. They also know that the same slowdown is affecting other oil areas. Some will move away and some will take "regular" jobs to hold out until things pick up on the rigs. Others came from places where there were very few jobs of any kind, and that hasn't improved in a lot of those places. Most know that they are going to have a hard time making big bucks anyplace in the oil industry right now.

There's no doubt some people have left because of layoffs. But rent declining hasn't caught up and its hard for a family to continue to pay $2,000-$3,000 in rent. Its easy to hitch up the rv and head out of town from the rv park that they were paying $800 a month for a spot.

Lots of people probably heading to Minot to find a job, save on rent, be able to find single ladies and feel safer. Knowing they could always head the short drive back west if they're able to find an oil job again.

http://america.aljazeera.com/multimedia/2015/4/north-dakota-hard-times.HTML

There's no doubt some people have left because of layoffs. But rent declining hasn't caught up and its hard for a family to continue to pay $2,000-$3,000 in rent. Its easy to hitch up the rv and head out of town from the rv park that they were paying $800 a month for a spot.

Lots of people probably heading to Minot to find a job, save on rent, be able to find single ladies and feel safer. Knowing they could always head the short drive back west if they're able to find an oil job again.

I was in Williston about a month ago.  From the people I talked with it didn't sound like a lot of people were leaving yet.  Many of the people I talked with were happy to be working more regular hours rather than working 18-20 hours a day.

• Upvote 1

I was in Williston about a month ago.  From the people I talked with it didn't sound like a lot of people were leaving yet.  Many of the people I talked with were happy to be working more regular hours rather than working 18-20 hours a day.

I've heard the same (that very few have been laid off, they're just not getting 40 hours of overtime each week).  

Because besides the free tuition to the junior college, those things already exist in every major North Dakota city.

Grand Forks recently build a new wellness center and has the states nicest indoor water park.

My uncle told me his daughter just got a job at Target in Bismarck starting at $14 an hour.

That is all well and good.  But how many jobs do you have paying $75k+.  Williston many and many more to come as this ramps up just moderately. It is the other things that in life that brings the family and to stay.   Williston is doing fine.

Really aljazeera is your source.  

That is all well and good.  But how many jobs do you have paying $75k+.  Williston many and many more to come as this ramps up just moderately. It is the other things that in life that brings the family and to stay.   Williston is doing fine.

I don't know. Lots. 70k is the new 40k. Its 2015. You'd be surprised how much my buddy was pulling in being as a department manager at Best Buy (and he didn't have to pay $2,000 for an apartment).

Williston is doing just fine. No doubt about it. And when the next wave comes again, they'll probably be more prepared to handle the influx.

The CEO of the proposed $4 billion ethane cracker talks about the synergies with fertilizer plants. Jamestown and Grand Forks just happen to have fertilizer plants in the planning stages. Also, there is so much ethane and propane around that building plants to make gasoline from those components may be feasible. The CEO will be in Grand Forks at the end of the month. Hmmm.

http://thebakken.com/articles/1192/qa-ndundefineds-record-breaking-bakken-gas-plastics-project-update

The "slowdown" has been a blessing out West.  Its allowed contractors to catch up on some work which has resulted in bid prices for new projects to come back in line with realistic projections.  I've heard drops on bids by as much as 10-15%.  Also, it's been a blessing for the cost of housing.  6 months ago housing prices in Minot were 20% higher than the regional average.  Today the Chamber of Commerce released the economic outlook and it was 6% higher than the regional average.  That is HUGE.

I also have more than a few friends that out in the patch in managerial positions that have told me the people that think there is a bust are complete idiots that don't know what they are talking about.  These are guys that work for the big boys.  Baker Hughes, Continental, WPX esc.  All have stated to me that this thing isn't going anywhere.  Some of the wells producing now have a break even point of $20-25 per barrel due to the efficiencies that have been put in place.  If oil gets back up to $80 this place is going to go nuts again but hopefully without the strain on the infrastructure that existed the first time around.

Not to burst any bubbles about the cracker plant but I also have some information regarding that.  The cracker plants is going to be located in either Minot or Mandan.  Mandan has the advantage of some pipelines the plant would need.  Minot has the advantage of the Port of North Dakota which is being constructed on the west side of town (biggest railroad hub between Seattle and Chicago).  I believe MDU will also be announcing a refinery is going to be built in the Port of North Dakota sometime in the very near future.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

National media has an agenda to show ND oil in the worst possible light because they hate a hydrocarbon economy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2015/07/20/north-dakotas-oil-economy-remains-strong-despite-media-myths/

Considering how uninformed he was it my guess he just threw some crap up against a wall hoping to get paid.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...