SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais to Minnesota?

UNDHockeyUSA

I was talking to some guys close to Minnesota hockey. They all said it's a done deal. Lucia is going to retire at the end of the year using health concerns as his excuse, and Blais is all set to be the next coach for Minnesota. If this happens it will be interesting to see if Minnesota will allow him to recruit players from outside the "State of hockey". No doubt UND (Blais) has done extensive recruiting in both Minnesota and Canada.

I think this would be a win/win situation for both the WCHA and Minnesota, not to mention Blais would be going home to coach where he learned the game of hockey.

With all this said. How long will UND fans stay patient with coach Hak if he doesn't win the big one soon? Is there a chance for UND to get Blais back before he goes home to Minnesota?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to some guys close to Minnesota hockey. They all said it's a done deal. Lucia is going to retire at the end of the year using health concerns as his excuse, and Blais is all set to be the next coach for Minnesota. If this happens it will be interesting to see if Minnesota will allow him to recruit players from outside the "State of hockey". No doubt UND (Blais) has done extensive recruiting in both Minnesota and Canada.

I think this would be a win/win situation for both the WCHA and Minnesota, not to mention Blais would be going home to coach where he learned the game of hockey.

With all this said. How long will UND fans stay patient with coach Hak if he doesn't win the big one soon? Is there a chance for UND to get Blais back before he goes home to Minnesota?

Yeah I would be very careful about those rumors. Blais to Minnesota isn't a done deal.

Yeah I would be very careful about those rumors. Blais to Minnesota isn't a done deal.

I agree! So far just rumors. If you think of it, Minnesota, WCHA and Blais would all benefit. What other school would Blais want to coach at? Why not go home to coach? Can you imagine the talent he would have to work with?

I also heard another rumor. There's another top name coach from an elite private hockey school that would be the assistant coach. Add in that Blais might go after some Canadian talent Minnesota would be lethal in years to come. I'm a huge UND fan, but I'm excited for Dean if he could go home and coach his team.

I agree! So far just rumors. If you think of it, Minnesota, WCHA and Blais would all benefit. What other school would Blais want to coach at? Why not go home to coach? Can you imagine the talent he would have to work with?

I also heard another rumor. There's another top name coach from an elite private hockey school that would be the assistant coach. Add in that Blais might go after some Canadian talent Minnesota would be lethal in years to come. I'm a huge UND fan, but I'm excited for Dean if he could go home and coach his team.

Lucia comes back next year for sure and I would count on that. Not the time for Blais to go to Minnesota if at all. I also don't see him returning to UND either. I think he will try build UNO up before he goes anywhere. Who knows maybe he could land a job at USA Hockey.

Lucia comes back next year for sure and I would count on that. Not the time for Blais to go to Minnesota if at all. I also don't see him returning to UND either. I think he will try build UNO up before he goes anywhere. Who knows maybe he could land a job at USA Hockey.

We'll see what happens? You have to admit that Blais to Minnesota would be a good story even for a UND fan. Time will tell. If it happens just remember who brought it to you first. :glare:

Not so sure about "done deals" but folks around here better come to grips with the fact that if Minnesota comes calling, Blais will be interested and at the top of a very short list.

Hey anything is possible. If the money and terms are right then I say he would for sure be interested. I just don't see Lucia going anywhere at least for one more year. It really is about timing and of course money....

The reference to Tom Ward on one of these posts is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot with a WCHA team. He is certainly well respected as a coach and a hockey guy.

Blaiser, well, I doubt anuthing is a done deal. Its all conjecture until a deal is inked. There are more far fetched scenarios out there...

We lose Blais, then the Name, then the Ralph gets imploded, & the Red River begins to flow South & Fargo gets flooded off the Map one out of 4 aint bad :glare:

too bad the one you want to happen is the one (of two i guess) that isn't going to happen. blais may go elsewhere (oh wait he is elsewhere) but he MAY go to the goofs, it makes sense, but i'm not sure it will happen now, it may happen sometime and sioux fans need to come to grips with that. the name is gone... i don't like it, neither do many ss.com posters and sioux fans, but it is a done deal. ok the ralph won't be imploded, the ralph will be there if blais goes to the goofs and when the name is gone. and the red won't flow south, but reguardless of north or south, fargo will be in danger of flooding until a permanent flood solution is in place, but not sure why a north dakotan would wish ill will on a fellow city? i have never got that, never will. i grew up out west, now live outside of fargo, and think this animosity towards other nd cities is infantile at best. we should support the state of nd, all of us, because noone else will. us out east should support the oil boom that is COMPLETELY supporting our state in this economy right now, its the main reason nd is one of what, three states not in the red? the rest of the state should be proud of fargo, and the fact that it has been one of the most successful cities in the entire US in our lifetime. and all of us should support each other, from the rural cities like kulm or watford city that struggle to stay viable in a society that does not coalese to small town USA, to our "big" cities like fargo and gf and minot and bismarck that get us through when we need it, to the cities like jamestown or williston or dickinson that are struggling to stay alive in the middle (stay the bakken reserve). back to the topic at hand, don't know if it will happen this year, but wouldn't be surprised if blais ends up back in minny.

too bad the one you want to happen is the one (of two i guess) that isn't going to happen. blais may go elsewhere (oh wait he is elsewhere) but he MAY go to the goofs, it makes sense, but i'm not sure it will happen now, it may happen sometime and sioux fans need to come to grips with that. the name is gone... i don't like it, neither do many ss.com posters and sioux fans, but it is a done deal. ok the ralph won't be imploded, the ralph will be there if blais goes to the goofs and when the name is gone. and the red won't flow south, but reguardless of north or south, fargo will be in danger of flooding until a permanent flood solution is in place, but not sure why a north dakotan would wish ill will on a fellow city? i have never got that, never will. i grew up out west, now live outside of fargo, and think this animosity towards other nd cities is infantile at best. we should support the state of nd, all of us, because noone else will. us out east should support the oil boom that is COMPLETELY supporting our state in this economy right now, its the main reason nd is one of what, three states not in the red? the rest of the state should be proud of fargo, and the fact that it has been one of the most successful cities in the entire US in our lifetime. and all of us should support each other, from the rural cities like kulm or watford city that struggle to stay viable in a society that does not coalese to small town USA, to our "big" cities like fargo and gf and minot and bismarck that get us through when we need it, to the cities like jamestown or williston or dickinson that are struggling to stay alive in the middle (stay the bakken reserve). back to the topic at hand, don't know if it will happen this year, but wouldn't be surprised if blais ends up back in minny.

Well said! Now lets get our team winning again. When will all the players be back? It's time to make our end of season run to the frozen four. Time for Sioux Nation to step up and take control of the WCHA.

I think another name that would be on a short list that Minnesota would try to acquire is Enrico Blasi of Miami. Blasi has taken Miami's team to prominence and they are destined to win something sooner rather than later thanks to him. Add to that the fact that Joel Maturi (Minnesota's Athletic Director) is a former AD at Miami. Blasi might come at a cheaper price than Blais, as well, and would be nearly as good as Blais (in my opinion). Also, Blais is older and could retire again just as soon as he got back into the swing of things at a big time program. Does Minnesota want that risk?

I'm not sure Enrico Blasi is ready to jump ship from Miami, though. "Rico" is a Miami hockey alum with a nice, new arena (despite the smallish capacity) and already has a good foundation built and a pretty decent salary to boot.

Only time will tell I guess...but let's not write off Lucia just yet. Don is a very good coach who has had a little hard luck with recruits/defections/injuries/health. He has made every team he's been at better, but is in swoon right now. Minnesota is too big of a name to not get the traction back in their wheels and ride a wave back to the top sometime in the next few years, even with Lucia.

We can say that Lucia only won titles because of Woog's recruits (which is actually highly debatable), but even Woog couldn't win a title with his own recruits, so maybe there is something to Lucia some Sioux fans won't admit.

I used to be convinced that Blais was going to the Gophers and was agonizing over finding myself actually wanting to see The Don win a couple of big games to take the heat off of him and his program.

However, I am no longer convinced that The Don is gone, either "voluntarily" or by firing squad. In fact, a contract extension is nearly done and will be announced soon, ala Brewster Nation. Why? First, the Gopher athletic program does not have any extra cash to throw around to "buy out" a coach who has been as successful as has been The Don. Second, The Don is only in his early fifties. There has been no hint of lingering health problems, and it is unlikely that he has any desire or intention to retire at such a young age. He would not go easily and, as noted, the Gophers simply cannot afford to buy him out and bring in a guy wanting top dollar on top of Don's top dollar. Third, the guy does have two NCs in a relatively short stretch of time. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, The Don still has a youngster in tow who is coming up through the ranks, who is twice the player of his brother, and who is handpicked and earmarked to become the program's savior in a couple of years. Mario will make the team, Mario will get to bring a couple of his friends, Mario will get to be captain, and Mario will fill the seats. Only then, roughly six years from now, and still stuck on five titles, will The Don either get canned or go quietly into the retirement years. By then, of course, The Dean will have won a title or two at UND (yes, UND, not UNO, as The Hak will have left for the pros), The Dean will be ready to retire himself and will have no interest in the Gopher job, and Enrico will become their new coach if he does not first replace Gwozdicky at DU. I have this all from a little birdie and, as we all should well know by now, little birdies tell no stories.

I used to be convinced that Blais was going to the Gophers and was agonizing over finding myself actually wanting to see The Don win a couple of big games to take the heat off of him and his program.

However, I am no longer convinced that The Don is gone, either "voluntarily" or by firing squad. In fact, a contract extension is nearly done and will be announced soon, ala Brewster Nation. Why? First, the Gopher athletic program does not have any extra cash to throw around to "buy out" a coach who has been as successful as has been The Don. Second, The Don is only in his early fifties. There has been no hint of lingering health problems, and it is unlikely that he has any desire or intention to retire at such a young age. He would not go easily and, as noted, the Gophers simply cannot afford to buy him out and bring in a guy wanting top dollar on top of Don's top dollar. Third, the guy does have two NCs in a relatively short stretch of time. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, The Don still has a youngster in tow who is coming up through the ranks, who is twice the player of his brother, and who is handpicked and earmarked to become the program's savior in a couple of years. Mario will make the team, Mario will get to bring a couple of his friends, Mario will get to be captain, and Mario will fill the seats. Only then, roughly six years from now, and still stuck on five titles, will The Don either get canned or go quietly into the retirement years. By then, of course, The Dean will have won a title or two at UND (yes, UND, not UNO, as The Hak will have left for the pros), The Dean will be ready to retire himself and will have no interest in the Gopher job, and Enrico will become their new coach if he does not first replace Gwozdicky at DU. I have this all from a little birdie and, as we all should well know by now, little birdies tell no stories.

I wouldn't worry about The Don's meager salary as a reason behind a decision. His salary while high by UND standards is nothing in the world of Big 10 athletics. Additionally Men's hockey and the athletic department as a whole are self sufficient at UMN, and they are in the black.

fargo will be in danger of flooding until a permanent flood solution is in place, but not sure why a north dakotan would wish ill will on a fellow city? i have never got that, never will. i grew up out west, now live outside of fargo, and think this animosity towards other nd cities is infantile at best. we should support the state of nd, all of us, because noone else will. us out east should support the oil boom that is COMPLETELY supporting our state in this economy right now, its the main reason nd is one of what, three states not in the red? the rest of the state should be proud of fargo, and the fact that it has been one of the most successful cities in the entire US in our lifetime. and all of us should support each other, from the rural cities like kulm or watford city that struggle to stay viable in a society that does not coalese to small town USA, to our "big" cities like fargo and gf and minot and bismarck that get us through when we need it, to the cities like jamestown or williston or dickinson that are struggling to stay alive in the middle (stay the bakken reserve).

Live in Fargo and we are already planning the 1/2 mile, 4 ft high sandbag dike that saved us last year. Was noted in the local news today that so far this is the wettest winter on record EVER for Fargo! Two 500 year floods back to back??!! :):glare:

Lived in Williston in the mid to late 90's. That town was a complete mess...was still recovering from the previous oil boom bust. People west of Jamestown generally have animosity for Fargo. Don't get it either and never will.

But I'm sure I can place a call to Fetch in early April and he'll come running to help throw sandbags for a week!?

Live in Fargo and we are already planning the 1/2 mile, 4 ft high sandbag dike that saved us last year. Was noted in the local news today that so far this is the wettest winter on record EVER for Fargo! Two 500 year floods back to back??!! :sad::)

Lived in Williston in the mid to late 90's. That town was a complete mess...was still recovering from the previous oil boom bust. People west of Jamestown generally have animosity for Fargo. Don't get it either and never will.

But I'm sure I can place a call to Fetch in early April and he'll come running to help throw sandbags for a week!?

How bad it gets probably depends highly on how much precipitation Fargo gets this spring.

At this point spring precip isn't a driving factor, the ground was saturated before it froze and the snow pack this year has high water content, major flood potential aready exists. It all depends on the metlt, the faster the worse the flooding.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/period.php?w...10,7,8,2,9,15,6

Correct. There is an 86% chance of hitting major flood stage in Fargo (30 ft.) and a 10% of hitting 40.1 ft. These % were given out prior to the last 9-10" of snow this past weekend. The new revised flood forecast comes out, I believe, on Feb. 19. This will take into account the snow from this last storm.

Correct. There is an 86% chance of hitting major flood stage in Fargo (30 ft.) and a 10% of hitting 40.1 ft. These % were given out prior to the last 9-10" of snow this past weekend. The new revised flood forecast comes out, I believe, on Feb. 19. This will take into account the snow from this last storm.

is this the weather forum? :)

It will be interesting to see the updated model run. You figure there's probably another inch of water in that new snow, yikes!

is this the weather forum? :)

I'll go with, yes, I'm just along for the ride. It does beat talking about the Gophers in yet another thread about them. As well as the rumor factory that is Blais and him coaching every team besides UNO next year. Granted flooding has nothing to do with "Men's Hockey." Maybe I missed something, but isn't he under contract for next year?