SiouxSports.com Forum

Great time at Cornell

JESUS,family,rutgers

Do you know where the glaciers stopped in your area? Here in NY we have areas effected by a couple of different glacier times. You often get a flat plain just past the terminal moraine (the furthest point of glacier advance). As the glacier melts and recedes it forms a lake with a flat bottom. Once the glacier fully recedes the lake goes away leaving the plain. I believe you were part of Lake Agassiz, thus it's flat. :angry:

edit: sorry, while typing this I had to help my daughter, so it's a little late.

We had at least a couple of glaciers, but the last one resulted in Lake Agassiz. It was a fairly recent glacier. The ground is still rebounding from the weight of the glacier. Plus the Red River, which was the last remnant of the lake, drains north into Lake Winnipeg. The various beaches from Lake Agassiz are still visible if you know what you are looking for. There are sand and rock deposits in strips with the biggest deposits 30 to 40 miles on either side of the Red River. And you can see where the valley starts as you drive north through northern South Dakota on Interstate 29.

We had at least a couple of glaciers, but the last one resulted in Lake Agassiz. It was a fairly recent glacier. The ground is still rebounding from the weight of the glacier. Plus the Red River, which was the last remnant of the lake, drains north into Lake Winnipeg. The various beaches from Lake Agassiz are still visible if you know what you are looking for. There are sand and rock deposits in strips with the biggest deposits 30 to 40 miles on either side of the Red River. And you can see where the valley starts as you drive north through northern South Dakota on Interstate 29.

Interesting, I never thought about the Red River draining north. I guess we always think everything in the plains drain into the Mississippi. But draining north makes sense to the lake plain, much like we have a plain south of Lake Ontario. The lake covered it till it receded north and of course everything there, meaning Finger Lakes area drains north to the St. Lawrence. But just south of Syracuse and east of the Finger Lakes the drainage is south to Chesapeake Bay.

Exactly......the difference is the result of our contrasting geological histories. This area was once a shallow sea from which sedimentary rock developed. The sea eventually receded, leaving several river valleys in the region. During the last Ice Age, the impact of the glaciers formed escarpments and canyons. When the glaciers last retreated a little under 10,000 years ago, vast amounts of water were left behind. Where the flow of this water was impeded by the aforementioned escarpments, waterfalls were formed. The Onondaga Escarpment, one of the three major escarpments in the WNY/CNY region, is responsible for the Ithaca-area waterfalls.

I'm probably biased, but the Finger Lakes region is a very underrated travel destination in my opinion.......it offers great scenery along with some of the world's finest wine. It's a nice place to visit all four seasons: in the spring to see the waterfalls at their peak, in the summer for activities on the Finger Lakes, in the autumn to check out the fall foliage and go hunting, and in the winter for Cornell hockey!

I agree that the area is very underrated. I have been fortunate to see almost all of this country and was actually stunned at the natural beauty. Had I known, I probably would have tried to schedule a couple of extra days into my trip. I will definitely go back some time, and wouldn't mind catching a Big Red game. I would guess Harvard tickets are almost impossible. Any other good rivalries that might have similar atmosphere, perhaps RPI or the North Country teams?

I agree that the area is very underrated. I have been fortunate to see almost all of this country and was actually stunned at the natural beauty. Had I known, I probably would have tried to schedule a couple of extra days into my trip. I will definitely go back some time, and wouldn't mind catching a Big Red game. I would guess Harvard tickets are almost impossible. Any other good rivalries that might have similar atmosphere, perhaps RPI or the North Country teams?

Nothing short of BU coming to the Lynah would be quite like CU-Harvard games.......any game against another ECAC team should be good, though. Hopefully the Cornell-BU games at MSG continue in the 2010s because those games are legendary.

And without a doubt, the most scenic part of the continental U.S. is anywhere west of your state. :angry:

Cornell has the North Country at home this weekend so you'd have to plan quickly. I think the best remaining weekend will be RPI-Union Feb 26-27.

Just up on eLynah are a lot of great pictures of Saturdays games. Sioux fans are in a few. Go here:Sioux-Cornell Photos