SiouxSports.com Forum

Great time at Cornell

JESUS,family,rutgers

Just wanted to thank CornellHockey (Jim) again for getting me a great seat for Saturday's game. Your campus is beautiful and there isn't a bad seat at the rink.The Cornell fans were great and "enthusiastic". I have only seen three Sioux games in person (Northeastern and Saint Lawrence were the others) and Cornell certainly seemed to play at a higher level. I was at the end where the possible penalty could have been called,but I honestly did not see it. I was looking more towards the front of the goal. Maybe my mind knew ahead of time to watch the game through "green-colored" glasses??? Thanks Coach Hakstol and Sioux players for making the ten hours of driving worth it. --Note to North Dakota AD: Play AT Princeton EVERY season.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!!!

had a blast as well! the atmosphere at the lynah is amazing. had the opportunity to visit with many cornell fans as well as the women's and men's players postgame at dunbars and mama t's after dunbars closed last night. everyone made us feel at home. if the hockey team travels to play cornell in the future, i'd highly recommend making the trip as a fan.

Can't say enough about what a great time we had in Ithaca. The Cornell fans were great and had a blast talking to some great people at the bar. I have a link to pictures I took during the weekend. LINK

Go SIOUX!!!

Great pics.Thanks for sharing.Looks like a cool ittle barn they play in.What was that all over the ice during introductions?

Great pics.Thanks for sharing.Looks like a cool ittle barn they play in.What was that all over the ice during introductions?

Are you referring to the newspapers? It's tradition at Cornell for students to read newspapers while the visiting team's players are being introduced......and then crumble the newspapers up and throw them onto the ice after the introductions.

Georgetown's basketball fans once did that at the Carrier Dome and were subsequently pelted with all sorts of objects. :(

Newspapers. When the visiting team is introduce the students act like they are reading the newspaper. When the introductions for the visiting team is complete they throw their newspaper on to the ice. It was pretty funny.

The students hold up newspapers when the opponents are introduced. Once they say the coaches name they throw them on the ice and a crew comes out to pick them up. The Zamboni (Olympia) driver has been there for years. When he retired last year, the U gave him approval to continue driving for the games. He wears a different costume for each game. He's acquired quite an assortment over the years.

Can't say enough about what a great time we had in Ithaca. The Cornell fans were great and had a blast talking to some great people at the bar. I have a link to pictures I took during the weekend. LINK

Go SIOUX!!!

Pleasure meeting you at Max's at the game, and glad I could snap a picture of ya before the game. Might run into you at a Maine game or two next season. Go Sioux,

As for the Cornell fans, my word for them would have to be cordial. Very gracious in winning and losing. Cannot believe how many people thanked us for coming, asked us questions about UND, complimented our team, and fans. And one gentlemen who was so amazed at Hakstol's modesty at the booster luncheon, called him a class act. Which he is obviously.

It was an all around great weekend, and all Sioux fans should look to attend the Cornell series if it happens again in the future. I will. I enjoyed meeting the other MD Sioux fans for drinks after the game.

I also give my thumbs up to the Lynah experience. It is definitely an old school rink.

What I liked ...

Cornell pep band was very strong - gotta love a repertoire that includes the theme from Rockford Files and What Would Brian Boitano do

Playing both US and Canadian national anthems - with that UND would do this

The fans in general - had a great conversation both nights with the usher for Section O

The Ithaca area - WOW! Very scenic and tons of stuff to do. Made it up to Taughannock Falls Saturday which was very impressive.

The Olymbia driver - genie on Friday night and Minuteman on Saturday night - good stuff

The alma mater (I think that's what it was) during the 2nd Intermission with all the students singing and swaying.

Not so much ...

From my seats deep at the end of the rink, it could be difficult to see the single scoreboard on the end - also shots are not updated except between periods

Way too many banners - A team of Cornell's statue doesn't need a banner for every single NCAA appearance - also the NCAA title banners should be more prominant (obviously just a personal preference, but it's my opinion)

I may have expected too much, but the "intimidation" factor wasn't what I was expecting, other than the band it was never deafening (admittedly Cornell only led 18 minutes all weekend) and the purported "clever" cheers of the student section still consisted primarilly of variations of "you suck" chants.

Pleasure meeting you at Max's at the game, and glad I could snap a picture of ya before the game. Might run into you at a Maine game or two next season. Go Sioux,

As for the Cornell fans, my word for them would have to be cordial. Very gracious in winning and losing. Cannot believe how many people thanked us for coming, asked us questions about UND, complimented our team, and fans. And one gentlemen who was so amazed at Hakstol's modesty at the booster luncheon, called him a class act. Which he is obviously.

It was an all around great weekend, and all Sioux fans should look to attend the Cornell series if it happens again in the future. I will. I enjoyed meeting the other MD Sioux fans for drinks after the game.

Thanks again for taking our picture. The weekend was great and I hope to see you at future games.

I also give my thumbs up to the Lynah experience. It is definitely an old school rink.

What I liked ...

Cornell pep band was very strong - gotta love a repertoire that includes the theme from Rockford Files and What Would Brian Boitano do

The fans in general - had a great conversation both nights with the usher for Section O

The Ithaca area - WOW! Very scenic and tons of stuff to do. Made it up to Taughannock Falls Saturday which was very impressive.

The Olymbia driver - genie on Friday night and Minuteman on Saturday night - good stuff

The alma mater (I think that's what it was) during the 2nd Intermission with all the students singing and swaying.

Not so much ...

From my seats deep at the end of the rink, it could be difficult to see the single scoreboard on the end - also shots are not updated except between periods

Way too many banners - A team of Cornell's statue doesn't need a banner for every single NCAA appearance - also the NCAA title banners should be more prominant (obviously just a personal preference, but it's my opinion)

I may have expected too much, but the "intimidation" factor wasn't what I was expecting, other than the band it was never deafening (admittedly Cornell only led 18 minutes all weekend) and the purported "clever" cheers of the student section still consisted primarilly of variations of "you suck" chants.

Concur about the banners. They're very similar to those at The Ritter (RIT), which is essentially a D-3 rink. At the very least, Cornell's two national championship banners should be white so that they stand out amongst the others.

Both anthems are played at many hockey rinks in this part of the country, even when two American teams are playing. I'm surprised they don't do the same in North Dakota given its proximity to Canada.

As for the intimidation factor, it's a shame that you couldn't get to see a game at the Lynah when school is in session. Rivalry games against Harvard are especially intense.

WNY and CNY are blessed with countless waterfalls and escarpments which formed when the glaciers receded following the last Ice Age. In addition Taughannock, there are quite a few spectacular ones in Ithaca's immediate vicinity: Ithaca Falls, Buttermilk Falls, Cascadilla Falls (located right on Cornell's campus), Lucifer Falls (and others in Robert Treman S.P.), Hector Falls, Aunt Sarah's Falls, Shequaga Falls, Eagle Cliff Falls, Ludlowville Falls, and many others in Watkins Glen and Letchworth......hope you got to see a few of the others on your trip.

Well, back to watching the SU-Georgetown hoops game.

WNY and CNY are blessed with countless waterfalls and escarpments which formed when the glaciers receded following the last Ice Age. In addition Taughannock, there are quite a few spectacular ones in Ithaca's immediate vicinity: Ithaca Falls, Buttermilk Falls, Cascadilla Falls (located right on Cornell's campus), Lucifer Falls (and others in Robert Treman S.P.), Hector Falls, Aunt Sarah's Falls, Shequaga Falls, Eagle Cliff Falls, Ludlowville Falls, and many others in Watkins Glen and Letchworth......hope you got to see a few of the others on your trip.

Well, back to watching the SU-Georgetown hoops game.

Funny, you got waterfalls and escarpments when the glaciers receded and we got the flattest section of land in the world. I guess it just depended on what kind of land or rock was underneath the glacier.

Funny, you got waterfalls and escarpments when the glaciers receded and we got the flattest section of land in the world. I guess it just depended on what kind of land or rock was underneath the glacier.

Exactly......the difference is the result of our contrasting geological histories. This area was once a shallow sea from which sedimentary rock developed. The sea eventually receded, leaving several river valleys in the region. During the last Ice Age, the impact of the glaciers formed escarpments and canyons. When the glaciers last retreated a little under 10,000 years ago, vast amounts of water were left behind. Where the flow of this water was impeded by the aforementioned escarpments, waterfalls were formed. The Onondaga Escarpment, one of the three major escarpments in the WNY/CNY region, is responsible for the Ithaca-area waterfalls.

I'm probably biased, but the Finger Lakes region is a very underrated travel destination in my opinion.......it offers great scenery along with some of the world's finest wine. It's a nice place to visit all four seasons: in the spring to see the waterfalls at their peak, in the summer for activities on the Finger Lakes, in the autumn to check out the fall foliage and go hunting, and in the winter for Cornell hockey!

What I liked ...

Not so much ...

Section O usher was a great guy!

Do you know where the glaciers stopped in your area? Here in NY we have areas effected by a couple of different glacier times. You often get a flat plain just past the terminal moraine (the furthest point of glacier advance). As the glacier melts and recedes it forms a lake with a flat bottom. Once the glacier fully recedes the lake goes away leaving the plain. I believe you were part of Lake Agassiz, thus it's flat. :angry:

edit: sorry, while typing this I had to help my daughter, so it's a little late.

Do you know where the glaciers stopped in your area? Here in NY we have areas effected by a couple of different glacier times. You often get a flat plain just past the terminal moraine (the furthest point of glacier advance). As the glacier melts and recedes it forms a lake with a flat bottom. Once the glacier fully recedes the lake goes away leaving the plain. I believe you were part of Lake Agassiz, thus it's flat. :angry:

Here's the wiki article about the aftermath of the last ice age and the lake that shaped our neighborhood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Agassiz