SiouxSports.com Forum

Forwards 2002-03

jk

This could be a new thread but...

Bayda's departure definitely sets back the team.  I'm sure he made the best choice for Ryan Bayda and I wish him well as much as I wish he weren't going.  So, who do you like to step up and fill the void left by Bayda and Tim Skarperud?

My picks to "pull a Skarp" and play beyond all expectations next year are Jason Notermann and Kevin ("Smells like TEAM Spirit"

--that's for you, forecheck!) Spiewak.  I expect the coaches will throw down the challenge and these are the guys who ought to take it up.  Our Rookie of the Year, Bochenski, in the last few games decided that his role was to camp out in front of the opponent's net and wait.  That seems a different kind of style than he'd played earlier in the year.  But, who am I to argue?  He's the league ROTY and I'm just some fan with very little hockey knowledge posting her observations on a message board.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pick is Ryan Hale.  I was not really impressed with Ryan his freshman season and early his second year before getting hurt.

However, I have been VERY impressed this year.  I'm a little surprised he didn't score more, as from what I have seen he has decent offensive skills.  He is VERY strong on the puck and I have said before he reminds me a lot of Bayda when he's in the corners and handling the puck in the open.

Maybe he didn't play a lot on a line where he could score this year.  Maybe when I redo those lines  ???  I'll have him up with Parise.  A guy strong on the puck, who can control it, along with a playmaker, and then one scorer.

I also think from what Blais said earlier this year about the Hale brothers they and especially Ryan have a chance to exert themselves in a leadership capacity.  Ryan has been with the program for 3 years now, and could be a central figure in the leadership group.

This is hardly real data, but I thought I'd pass it on.  There is a discussion on the SF Stampede board about their team awards for the year.  For most valuable player for the year, the votes are as follows:

M. Sertich   0.3

Corey         1.0

Pierzep...    2.3

Fylling        2.3

One fan who voted for someone else for MVP chose Fylling for most determined.  I guess a player who played forty NCAA games the previous year should do well, but it's nice to see that his team's fans have developed affection for his game.  

Vanek was voted outstanding offensive player by everyone.  I suspect we may find him very offensive as well.

What are the chances that Vanek goes to the draft and to the NHL or Minors? I think that kid is going to be offered some Ching.

When interviewed at the all star game, Vanek sounded a bit iffy about what he'd do if offered lots of bucks. Believe he said he's probably end up at MN next year but I wouldn't be suprised if he takes a big bucks offer and skips college.

When interviewed at the all star game, Vanek sounded a bit iffy about what he'd do if offered lots of bucks. Believe he said he's probably end up at MN next year but I wouldn't be suprised if he takes a big bucks offer and skips college.

I just hope they dont start jumping off dridges to the south of us if Vanek does play at the UofM. I be surprised if he made that big of an impact. Playing the WCHA is a lot harder than playing in the USHL...

Likewise, though, jumping from midgets to the WCHA is even harder.  I can't see that Parise would have any easier adjustment to this level than Vanek.  In fact, I hope people don't get on Parise's case if he performs like a freshman in his freshman year.  It seems like our expectations for him are pretty high.  I would settle for consistent effort and flashes of brilliance, and I think we'll get at least that.

I tend to agree with jk.  Parise has a great deal of talent and potential, but he's not a one-man cure for what ailed us this season.  If the rest of the team plays better and uses the hard-won/hard-lost experience from this season, he should be better and so should everybody else.  

I'm still aiming for a top-5 finish next season, but in this league anything is possible. :)

I agree with you too, jk.  Tony Hrkac wasn't the Hrkac Circus until he went away for a year and then came back.

Yeah, he had a good year by freshmen standards, but that's what it was a good year.  Don't know the numbers....

I just want to see us contend again, really as we have seen it your third in the division and you get an NCAA bid like Minnesota did McNaughtens are a bonus. ;)  :)  ;)

Tony Hrkac had two good (albeit not back to back) college years by ANY standards:

Freshman (1984-85): 18 - 36 - 54

Sophomore (1986-87): 46 - 70 - 116

Career (two seasons): 64 - 106 - 170

For comparison, Brandon Bochenski, the reining WCHA ROY:

Freshman (2001-02): 17 - 15 - 32

Oh, come on now, he,he,he,he,he...

I will be happy with 40 points  

I think Blais will expect more from Speedwack and Noterman, but also Bochen$ki.

How does this sound:

Parise to Bochen$kis scores.

Fournier short handed scores, what a play...

Speedwack to Noterman Scores. Hale coming in on Weber he shoots scores... Parise breaking in with Noterman on the wing shooting scores... Sioux win...

I can't wait for next season.

Justin Johnson, MN, freshman

Wasn't Johnson also the name of the freshman who was in net for Mankato when they spanked the Sioux at home?

Jake Moreland, SCSU, junior

Kurt Johnson, UAA, junior

Kevin Reiter, UAA, sophomore

Adam Berkhoel, DU, sophomore

Just a few.  There seems to be an abundance of goaltenders named Johnson in the league. :)

Justin Johnson, MN, freshman

Wasn't Johnson also the name of the freshman who was in net for Mankato when they spanked the Sioux at home?

Jake Moreland, SCSU, junior

Kurt Johnson, UAA, junior

Kevin Reiter, UAA, sophomore

Adam Berkhoel, DU, sophomore

Just a few.

Bumped into this story from December on a USAHockey site.  Very complimentary of UND's returning forward.

----------------------------------

Fylling toast of prospects event

By Ken Welsch

Special to USAHockey.com

PLYMOUTH, Mich. -- For a good number of the scouts in the stands at the USA Hockey Top Prospects Tournament earlier this week, the top prospect on the ice was off-limits. Much to their dismay.

College scouts from some of the nation's elite NCAA programs had to try and ignore the play of United States Hockey League forward Quinn Fylling, who already has a year of collegiate hockey play under his belt at the University of North Dakota. Fylling, who plays for the Sioux Falls Stampede, scored four goals and had three assists in 42 games with the Fighting Sioux last season, and gained NCAA championship game experience as UND finished runner-up.

Having seen that level of action, it's little wonder that Fylling is tearing up the ice in the United States Hockey League, and he put his skills on exhibit during the Top Prospects Tournament at Compuware Arena in suburban Detroit Dec. 3 through 5. In the three-game tournament, Fylling scored four goals with seven assists to lead the USHL to a 3-0 record.

He opened the tournament in grand style, scoring a hat trick in his team's 9-0 win over Team Top Prospects, and added an assist for good measure. Not bad, considering he entered the game unsure about his health.

"I was telling my teammates before the game that I felt run-down," Fylling said. "I didn't feel good at all." The buzz around Compuware was that if anybody on the ice would one day be playing in the NHL, it's Fylling. And if that comes true, Fylling will again be taking his game outside of the Dakotas. A native of Minot, N.D., Fylling stayed home when he chose to play at UND. His USHL days have taken him a short drive to the south, but many believe that much further travel awaits his hockey future.

Prior to college, the 5-foot, 10-inch, 180-pound forward took his game to Ann Arbor, Mich., where he honed his skills as a member of the U.S. National Development Team. The 19-year-old, (who'll turn 20 in January), returned home to UND after playing in Michigan, and his acceleration through hockey's ranks doesn't appear to be slowing.

He's helping the Stampede to a title chase in the USHL West Division, where they currently hold third place, still in striking distance of leader Sioux City. Through 23 games, Fylling has nine goals and 15 assists for 24 points, ranking him among the team leaders in both categories.