SiouxSports.com Forum

Forwards 2002-03

jk

A lot of players floating around next year.  I'm thinking of the forwards like this:

In the lineup basically all the time:

Bayda, Sr.

Notermann, Sr.

Spiewak, Sr.

Hale, Jr.

Lundbohm, Jr.

Fournier, So.

Bochenski, So.

McMahon, So.

Canady, So.

Parise, Fr.

Battling for the last two spots:

R. Connelly, So.

Massen, So.

Fylling, So.

Genoway, Fr.

Will not play much except against Canisius:

B. Connelly, Sr.

Palmiscno, Jr.

Faul, So.

I'll add some thoughts in a bit.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't doubt that both Connelly bro's are GONE for next season.  Also, I wonder whether Canady is really good enough to be in there every game.  He drew some praise from Blais this season, but look at his stats - not exactly awe-inspiring.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Dean go hard after some REAL offensive talent after this relatively inept season.  You better believe he will work the REA/Parise angle as much as possible and not care too much about whether the returning Soph's get to play or not.

That's the way it should be in an elite program.  Produce when given the chance or don't expect to be given an easy second-chance.

In some cases, the player's importance to the team and talents need not be mentioned, so I skipped them.

Hale - I thought he started slow and showed quite a bit of rust from the year off, but he was very solid down the stretch and has shown flashes of offensive skill.  Getting the medical redshirt will pay big dividends for the team in the next two years.

Lundbohm - Not a good year, but by the end we saw once again how good a player he can be.  He was in a funk even before his injury, and then seemed to take a long while after coming back to get into the groove again.  Even though the points didn't come, he played well at the end, in all zones.  He has the best moves with the puck in a little one foot square box, which is where those battles for the puck are often won.

Fournier - I think we have an idea now what the big deal was about Chris Fournier.  Put him behind the net on the PP!  What a difference he could have made if he was healthy.  He's not fleet-afoot, but centering the puck well (getting it through defensemen and the goalie) is not easily done, and he has a knack for it.  Seems to be the best on the team at it, except for David Hale.

Bochenski - Looks like cra* a lot of the time, but he manages to get his shot off all the time when he's covered, especially when it just comes to him as he's skating into the zone; he has it off before he even seems to get the puck.  I'm often just puzzled at how he got the shot off.  Someone who can flat-out score is invaluable, but I hope he works on his skating.

McMahon - Going to be the best all-around player from this class and a fixture on the top lines in his last two years.

Canady - For me, probably the best surprise of the freshmen.  I expected a hard worker, but he's faster than I thought and always involved.  I expected him to be one of the ones to lose ice time because of the team's forward depth, but he got better as the year went on.  And let's face it, college hockey is not for the meek; it's rough out there, and you need some guys on a mission.

Parise - I've seen him once, but I'm such an amateur I'll have to rely on the opinions of others (like Louie and Glen) to believe that he'll be a fixture in the lineup.

R. Connelly - Got better all year long, until the season-ending injury.  Has a necessary commodity for all Sioux teams - speed.  UND needs more of it up front, and I think he'll play a lot.

Massen - Probably the one freshman I can say I was disappointed with.  He seems to lose many more battles for the puck than he wins, and doesn't seem very strong on his skates to me.  Reminds me of Grant Paranica - big guy, looks like a smooth skater, seems to have good hands, but can't get the job done.  Hopefully he'll work on his deficiencies and come along.

Fylling - He's had a nice year in the USHL, which was expected.  I like that he can skate well.  How will he look compared to guys like Canady, Connelly and Palmiscno when practice starts?  I don't know.

Genoway - I have no idea how he has looked this year.  Maybe he'll be a fixture in the lineup, but I have no way of knowing.  

B. Connelly and Faul had trouble getting into the lineup this year, and it just gets harder next year.  Faul looked decent to me when I saw him, but I assume he would have played more.  Palmiscno basically didn't play until injuries opened up a spot, and I think he'll also have trouble with the numbers game next year.

Kuhninca, I disagree on Connelly.

As for recruiting offense for next year, exactly who do you think is out there?  

There are a lot of high profile forwards coming into college hockey next year (Vanek, Parise, Guyer, Gauthier, Tambellini, Eaves, Sterling - you know, BC's top two lines), but, ahem, they're all signed up to play already (MN, UND, MN, DU, Mich., BC, CC).

I like UND's forwards for next year, and the few years after that as well.

Wouldn't dwell on this year's frosh point output as to who might go or stay. Lots of great Sioux players did not put up many points their freshman year.

Would expect the passes to become crisper and start connecting more regularly next year and beyond. It's been a struggle skating and passing smoothly through neutral ice, even in last night's game (in the first two periods). Tape to tape passing, which was the norm the last four years, was just not present this year, except for portions of a few games (the Sat night Denver game was one, looked like it was coming around). Last night, looked good in the third period and OT.

When this bunch gets it together, they'll create many more scoring chances, and, as a result, more goals.

Would love to see a couple more forwards of McMahon's ilk come along in the next couple years.

Wouldn't dwell on this year's frosh point output as to who might go or stay. Lots of great Sioux players did not put up many points their freshman year.

You hit the nail on the head."frosh"

These guys have the talent.Now all they have to do is learn

how to use it.Blaiser didn't bring these guys in to be "Nancy's".

You may have heard of the "Hrkac Circus" I hope history

adds a new page with the Zach Attack!  ???

Fournier - I think we have an idea now what the big deal was about Chris Fournier.  Put him behind the net on the PP!  What a difference he could have made if he was healthy.  He's not fleet-afoot, but centering the puck well (getting it through defensemen and the goalie) is not easily done, and he has a knack for it.  Seems to be the best on the team at it, except for David Hale.

I agree, when Fournier was playing, he was making a difference. He can pass, that's why I would like to see him on a line with Bochenski!

I like UND's forwards for next year, and the few years after that as well.

-----------------TEAM OFFENSE

Rk Team AVG/GM

1 St. Cloud 4.18

2 Minnesota 4.04

3 Denver 3.86

4 North Dakota 3.68

5 Colorado College 3.39

6 Wisconsin 3.14

7 MSU-Mankato 3.00

8 Alaska-Anchorage 2.82

9 Minnesota-Duluth 2.57

10 Michigan Tech 2.36

----------------------------------------

TEAM DEFENSE

Rk Team AVG/GM

1 Denver 2.25

2 St. Cloud 2.32

3 Colorado College 2.64

4 Minnesota 3.00

5 Wisconsin 3.21

6 Alaska-Anchorage 3.43

7 North Dakota 3.57

8 MSU-Mankato 3.82

9 Minnesota-Duluth 4.00

10 Michigan Tech 4.79

As you can see, the Sioux are in the top 4 for team offense, only losing 1 person!

Defense and goaltending is what I'm worried about. They are #7 when it comes to defense.

Also who will be on the first line with Bayda. I would like to see Spiewak on it with someone else. Maybe Parise? I like when Bochenski and Fournier are together.

I really like Bochenski and Fornier on a line together, too.  Bochenski has random success on the top line, but good things always seem to happen the few times that he and Fornier have been on a line together.  They are already in tune with each other's playing styles.  

I liked Spiewak on the first line as well, but I also don't like splitting him and Notermann up.  Keep them together on the 2nd line, perhaps with Lundbohm or Ryan Hale.  I would assume that Blais is already planning on putting Parise on a line with Bayda, also assuming that he adjusts well to the college level.

I really like Bochenski and Fornier on a line together, too.  Bochenski has random success on the top line, but good things always seem to happen the few times that he and Fornier have been on a line together.  They are already in tune with each other's playing styles.  

I liked Spiewak on the first line as well, but I also don't like splitting him and Notermann up.  Keep them together on the 2nd line, perhaps with Lundbohm or Ryan Hale.  I would assume that Blais is already planning on putting Parise on a line with Bayda, also assuming that he adjusts well to the college level.

Even though Bochenski put up big numbers on the 1st line I still would like to see him with Fournier and maybe Ryan Hale. Even though I like Notermann and Spiewak together, I would like to see Spiewak to get moved up to the first line with Bayda and Parise!

Really once you think about it, the Sioux have a scary amount of talent coming back. This team should be able to put up big numbers next year! You have people like Spiewak, Lundbohm, Fournier,Notermann, Massen and many others who can put up big numbers!

Next year will be fun!

Here is just a thought for all of you Bocho lovers...If Fournier, Massen, McMahon, and Canady had all had the same amout of playing time on the 1st line and the power play, I wonder just how many points each of them would have had.

I checked the Fighting Sioux webpage to see if I could find how many minutes each player logged.  They have about every stat you could think of except the number of minutes played.  I guess you could go by shots on goal, but they would also vary depending who the player is on a line with.  

I agree, next year is going to be fun to see how much these players improved over the summer compared to this season.  Now the hard part is waiting!  ???

I was just reading Charley Walter's column in today's Pioneer Press (3-11-02) and he said that along with Parise and Brady Murray from Shattuck's is Chris Porter is also planning on playing hockey for UND. Does anybody know if this is true or not? I've never heard of this guy before

I wouldn't be too concerned about the forwards next year. I'd be more concerned about the defense for next year. They lost two good defensemen in Schneekloth and Mazurak and are only replacing them with Matt Greene. Are they really going to go with Chris Leinweber as their th defenseman? No offense to him but he hardly played this year.

Is that Marvin kid from Warroad going to play with us next year?

I like what we have on board for forward, although I think the wild card is Bayda.  I really hope he comes back, because he has such great ability and a strong desire to win that should runover to the younger guys

Bayda would be a huge loss for the team! Does anyone know when he is going to make it official if he comes back to the team or not?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the forwards next year. I'd be more concerned about the defense for next year. They lost two good defensemen in Schneekloth and Mazurak and are only replacing them with Matt Greene. Are they really going to go with Chris Leinweber as their th defenseman? No offense to him but he hardly played this year.

From Sunday's Herald:

"As far as I know, Ryan will be back," Blais said. "But you never know when any player you have who has been drafted by the NHL might sign a pro contract."

--------------------------------------

I am reasonably encouraged by this.

It's been said by many, but it really is miserable to not have the Sioux playing now, especially when they're just as good as many of the teams still playing.

Ok, here I am doing my Chris! impression.  Here are the players I at least know about for next year and whether they are L or R shooters.  The middle column is who have been listed as a center on heisenberg's site, or on the UND site, or that I am aware played the position this year.  I have paired the lines together that I think one might expect to see by Christmas.:

Left Shooting Wing        Center             Right Shooting Wing

Bayda                          Parise ®         Lundbohm

Notermann                    Spiewak (L)      McMahon

R Hale ®                     Fournier (L)      Bochenski

R. Connelly                    Genoway ®    Canady

Fighting for time:  Palmiscno (L), Massen ®, Faul ®, Fylling ®

First line:

Bayda is tough on the boards, can control the puck, is smart, and can score.  Needs a playmaker and if he has a good one can really put up points in my opinion.   Parise is my center for that first line if he can live up to the hype and expectations.  He might provide that sort of playmaking ability.  I put Lundbohm on this line because he also has good puck handling skills.  This line should be able to control the puck and keep the other team on the defensive.  If Massen improves he could replace Lundbohm on this line because it wouldn't hurt to have a strong scorer, ala Bochenski.

2nd Line:

Too be honest, this might really be my 3rd line.  Why?  Because I see this as the "checker" line. I'm not sure if these guys are going to score a ton, but no one can knock their value on this team in checking the other teams top guns.  Also, maybe they can't score because they are always "checking".  However, I keep them in this role.  I put McMahon on this line because his style of play complements Notermann and Speedwack.  Hi energy, hi tempo.   I thought about Canady on this line because he adds some size, but I like McMahon's offensive abilities and maybe adding him gives this line a chance to score a bit more.  Plus I like Connelly and Canady together.

3rd line:

Another potential scoring line.  Maybe a true 2nd line.  I put R Hale on this line for a couple reasons.  He is not on his natural right side (for his shooting hand) but ya gotta put Bochenski on the right side.  I like seeing Bochenski and Fournier together as they seem to have chemistry, in my opinion.  Bo can score, Fournier can playmake, and Hale is another Bayda with the puck in MY OPINION.  Fournier and Bochenski can benefit from a guy who is strong in controlling the puck and can work the boards effectively.

4th Line:

It's hard for me not to put Connelly and Canady on the same line together.  I'm guessing (hoping?) that Genoway will be good enough to get regular ice by mid season.  He's listed as a center on heisenberg's site.  So this is where I put him.  Connelly is a hard working speed guy.  If Genoway isn't good enough this gives one of the other guys a chance to get on the ice.  

Fighting for time line:

Faul - I thought he really contributed at the end of the year.  This guy wins faceoffs.  Might have to get him on the ice next year.  Maybe Genoway has to beat him out.

Palmiscno - I underestimated Tim Skarperud and maybe I will be guilty of underestimating Tyler as well.  But at this point he is not going to beat out some of the other guys.

Fylling - Good hard worker with some speed.  Could replace one of the guys I have on the lines but who?  I guess we'll see how he performs early in the year.  Could take ice time from R Connelly maybe.

Massen - Don't like leaving him on the bench either.  Here's another guy who might take time away from someone like Canady, or Genoway.  However, Massen didn't really seem to come on at the end of this year.  A summer can make a difference however, and next year I could see him play his way onto the lineup regularly.  I hope he can.

This team seems overstocked with right handed shooters but I suppose that is normal.   However, it appears we have quality depth at forward positions.  Will we have enough playmaking ability at the center position???????

On defense:

Left Shooters                          Right Shooters

D Hale                                    Greene

Leinweber (shoots?)

Jones

Schneider

Fuher

Marvin

None of these guys is the real offensive defensemen we are used to seeing.  Will one of them develop over time??  Hard to say though USHL numbers don't indicate they will.  Only Greene shoots right unless Leinweber does and I don't think so but couldn't confirm it.

This is only 7 defensemen.  Seems like we are one short or so???  How many do you usually carry?  Maybe this indicates there is space for one more recruit??  Or maybe furthering the speculation of one forward moving back into the D corps.  The more likely candidate I would think is Faul or maybe even a Canady?  Does that seem preposterous?  Just wondering what people think.

Anyway, this roster of mine shows 23 forwards and defensemen.  Add 3-4 goalies and you have 26-27 guys on the roster.  Oh, I forgot about B. Connelly who I doubt will play much with the crew we have.  Blais carried 27 on the roster this past year.