SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux (0-1) vs Wisconsin (0-0)

star2city

The NCAA has a clearinghouse for eligibility and every player has to be cleared through them. I read earlier this fall that they had a huge backlog, it sounded like it was much bigger than normal. I know that a lot of college football players around the country were not cleared to play until after practice started, they are usually pretty much done with fall sports before camps open up. That, plus the fact that Sharkova is from overseas which can make getting records more difficult, may have contributed to the problem. It is always better to be safe than sorry in these cases.

I guess my point is that once all the incoming football players and other fall sports athletes are either cleared or not by the NCAA, presumably by early September, it should provide the NCAA with roughly a month and a half to take care of basketball and other winter sports. If the school gets them the info in a timely fashion, I don't see why the NCAA shouldn't have sufficient personnel to do what they need to do pretty quickly (insert obligatory NCAA joke here).

I guess my point is that once all the incoming football players and other fall sports athletes are either cleared or not by the NCAA, presumably by early September, it should provide the NCAA with roughly a month and a half to take care of basketball and other winter sports. If the school gets them the info in a timely fashion, I don't see why the NCAA shouldn't have sufficient personnel to do what they need to do pretty quickly (insert obligatory NCAA joke here).

My point was that they had an overload of cases going into the fall season. Therefore it shouldn't surprise people if they are still running behind going into the winter season. They probably have the staff needed to take care of a regular year. If they have a larger than normal load, they can get behind. If they start the year behind they will probably be behind going into the next season. If they normally start working on winter sports on August 1, and don't get started until September 1 then they will have trouble getting done by the time the season starts. It just depends on the case load for the winter season.

My point was that they had an overload of cases going into the fall season. Therefore it shouldn't surprise people if they are still running behind going into the winter season. They probably have the staff needed to take care of a regular year. If they have a larger than normal load, they can get behind. If they start the year behind they will probably be behind going into the next season. If they normally start working on winter sports on August 1, and don't get started until September 1 then they will have trouble getting done by the time the season starts. It just depends on the case load for the winter season.

I'd rather just blame the NCAA for dropping the ball. ;) Seriously though, it would be interesting to know whether many other schools are dealing with a similar situation right now, and exactly what is causing this overload the clearinghouse is apparently experiencing.

I'd rather just blame the NCAA for dropping the ball. ;) Seriously though, it would be interesting to know whether many other schools are dealing with a similar situation right now, and exactly what is causing this overload the clearinghouse is apparently experiencing.

Sharkova is from Belarus, which although is in eastern Europe, it is notorious for bureacratic snafus and anti-Americanism. A lot of foreign athletes have had to beg and plead with their own governments to forward the correct paperwork. Just saying the delay may have nother to do with UND's athletic department or the NCAA.

Sharkova is from Belarus, which although is in eastern Europe, it is notorious for bureacratic snafus and anti-Americanism. A lot of foreign athletes have had to beg and plead with their own governments to forward the correct paperwork. Just saying the delay may have nother to do with UND's athletic department or the NCAA.

Being from eastern Europe does make it harder. the fact that she has been in the country for 2 years playing in the JUCO system should have made this easier but the JUCO system doesn't do nearly the thorough checking the NCAA does. I'm sure she'll be fine eventually.

I can tell you this much, what the girls are lacking for offense inside isn't going to made up for with Sharakova. She just isn't the offensive answer we're looking for. Defense, yes. Offense, not so much.

Being from eastern Europe does make it harder. the fact that she has been in the country for 2 years playing in the JUCO system should have made this easier but the JUCO system doesn't do nearly the thorough checking the NCAA does. I'm sure she'll be fine eventually.

I can tell you this much, what the girls are lacking for offense inside isn't going to made up for with Sharakova. She just isn't the offensive answer we're looking for. Defense, yes. Offense, not so much.

The question is: are offensive answers expected from any of the recruits signed last week? If not, things will likely get worse the next few years before they (hopefully) get better.

The question is: are offensive answers expected from any of the recruits signed last week? If not, things will likely get worse the next few years before they (hopefully) get better.

I can't speak for the out-of-state recruits but the in-state one's have never shown me to be DI skilled players. The Buck girl from Century, in my opinion, is the best of the lot. She plays physical, scrappy, and gets the game. We haven't had much luck with Century kids in the program but she may be cut from a different cloth.

You'll notice right now were playing 3 kids over 34 minutes a night on the perimeter. That speaks volumes of where are younger kids are as far as being prepared to play. There won't be anything left of Bergan, Baageson, etc. at the end of the year.

I can't speak for the out-of-state recruits but the in-state one's have never shown me to be DI skilled players. The Buck girl from Century, in my opinion, is the best of the lot. She plays physical, scrappy, and gets the game. We haven't had much luck with Century kids in the program but she may be cut from a different cloth.

You'll notice right now were playing 3 kids over 34 minutes a night on the perimeter. That speaks volumes of where are younger kids are as far as being prepared to play. There won't be anything left of Bergan, Baageson, etc. at the end of the year.

Any word on the non-signing of the girl from Fargo South?

Hard to believe that despite having 15 players on scholarship, we still seemingly have so little depth.

Hard to believe that despite having 15 players on scholarship, we still seemingly have so little depth.

Judging from the comments I from Gene I heard on radio today, they just aren't handling the type of in your face defense the way they need to. They just need to get adjusted to the speed and intensity of the D1 game.