SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux (0-1) vs Wisconsin (0-0)

star2city

Wisco is only shooting 38%. If we could be shooting better than 28% and not have 23 turnovers through the first 30 minutes of the game, it would be alot closer.

The Badgers have played few players that are under 6' tall. Would have been nice to have had Sharkova for defensive purposes.

UND's post players shot a combined 3 of 19 from the floor.

But on the bright side, the bench scoring tripled compared to the Green Bay game--from two points to six points!

Also, the theory that we only struggle against teams from the state of Wisconsin has yet to be disproved. And there are no more Wisconsin teams on the schedule. :D

UND's post players shot a combined 3 of 19 from the floor.

But on the bright side, the bench scoring tripled compared to the Green Bay game--from two points to six points!

Also, the theory that we only struggle against teams from the state of Wisconsin has yet to be disproved. And there are no more Wisconsin teams on the schedule. :D

You are an optimistic soul, I'll give you that. Coach has said all preseason that this team will live or die with its perimeter scoring. As a person who coached for over 20 years at a variety of levels I'd like to say that any year I tried to live with perimeter options first, we struggled more nights than I'd care to remember. The ability to score inside first is fundamental to successful teams (Do the names Crouse, Kleinsasser, Kimbrough, and Langen ring bells with anyone here). If we can't score inside at the DI level, we'll lose. End of story.

It doesn't even matter how long they've been in the program. ;)

You are an optimistic soul, I'll give you that. Coach has said all preseason that this team will live or die with its perimeter scoring. As a person who coached for over 20 years at a variety of levels I'd like to say that any year I tried to live with perimeter options first, we struggled more nights than I'd care to remember. The ability to score inside first is fundamental to successful teams (Do the names Crouse, Kleinsasser, Kimbrough, and Langen ring bells with anyone here). If we can't score inside at the DI level, we'll lose. End of story.

It doesn't even matter how long they've been in the program. :D

We're unfortunately in the midst of a rather prolonged dry spell in terms of recruiting a post who can score. I'm sure it's not for lack of trying, but it's now been what, five years since Kimbrough was recruited? I know players like that aren't in abundance, but at a minimum we need somebody who can score 12-15 ppg from the post position. There's nobody like that in the program now. Until we find one, I'm afraid we'll struggle just like we have so far this season (even in the exhibition against UMC).

We're unfortunately in the midst of a rather prolonged dry spell in terms of recruiting a post who can score. I'm sure it's not for lack of trying, but it's now been what, five years since Kimbrough was recruited? I know players like that aren't in abundance, but at a minimum we need somebody who can score 12-15 ppg from the post position. There's nobody like that in the program now. Until we find one, I'm afraid we'll struggle just like we have so far this season (even in the exhibition against UMC).

While we have won almost every recent recruiting battle with NDSU, we've haven't been targeting any recruits that high majors have also been after. To be successful, we have to have those type players. Women's basketball is so much easier to recruit because even many of the major conferences don't attract major crowds (except the Tennessees, and UCONNs), TV audiences, and the post-college professional world does not offer huge $ contracts.

UND should be second after UMinn for any recruit in Minnesota. That just doesn't seem to be happening.

While we have won almost every recent recruiting battle with NDSU, we've haven't been targeting any recruits that high majors have also been after. To be successful, we have to have those type players. Women's basketball is so much easier to recruit because even many of the major conferences don't attract mahir crowds (except the Tennessees, and UCONNs), TV audiences, and the post-college professional world does not offer huge $ contracts.

UND should be second after UMinn for any recruit in Minnesota. That just doesn't seem to be happening.

Maybe not second to U of Minn. because a lot of major schools, Big 10 especially, get into Minnesota and recruit hard. Iowa and Iowa St. come to mind immediately. I do agree though that we need to be much more aggressive in attempting to lure kids from major schools and least get them to visit campus. This roster is no different than it was when we played in the NCC; that's not going to cut it anymore. All the coaches need to get out and find players from Wisc., Iowa, Minn, and perhaps So. Dak. too. I know SDSU probably has first pick on SD kids but we have way more to offer in terms of academics than SDSU does.

Too early to call it lazy coaching but come March, we'll see.

Is Privatsky planning on redshirting this year?

I guess my question is... which team will be the first to collect a regular season win? The men or the women?

I think the men have a better chance, with home games against UMKC and Waldorf coming up. I don't really expect the women to win until the Mayville State game on Dec. 7th, although if they have a hot-shooting game it could come earlier than that.

It doesn't even matter how long they've been in the program. :D

Great Minds think alike......Good Posts

This is a person who lives alone!!! :D

If I remember, there is a 6'5" post on the bench that would change the entire scope of things - the first player off the bench that would provide an immediate impact. I heard that a couple of hours before the first game coaches were told from the Compliance Department she couldn't play. If that is true, how disheartening to the team, coaches, and most of all the player - is the compliance staff accountable to anyone?

If I remember, there is a 6'5" post on the bench that would change the entire scope of things - the first player off the bench that would provide an immediate impact. I heard that a couple of hours before the first game coaches were told from the Compliance Department she couldn't play. If that is true, how disheartening to the team, coaches, and most of all the player - is the compliance staff accountable to anyone?

Those are the people that keep the school from getting into trouble with the NCAA for using ineligible players, and the penalties that come with that.

As someone who vividly recalls the Myron Allen fiasco of several years ago, I appreciate showing caution when in doubt about a player's eligibility. With that said, considering we're now nearly three months into the semester, it would seem that this matter should have been taken care of by now--either Sharkova's eligible or she's not. I can see this being an issue with fall sports since they start practice in early August before school has even started, but winter sports that don't even start practice until mid-October? I'm not saying anybody necessarily dropped the ball--it just seems strange since I don't recall a basketball player ever being held out due to eligibility concerns (other than Allen, after he'd played several games ;):D ).

As someone who vividly recalls the Myron Allen fiasco of several years ago, I appreciate showing caution when in doubt about a player's eligibility. With that said, considering we're now nearly three months into the semester, it would seem that this matter should have been taken care of by now--either Sharkova's eligible or she's not. I can see this being an issue with fall sports since they start practice in early August before school has even started, but winter sports that don't even start practice until mid-October? I'm not saying anybody necessarily dropped the ball--it just seems strange since I don't recall a basketball player ever being held out due to eligibility concerns (other than Allen, after he'd played several games). :D

The NCAA has a clearinghouse for eligibility and every player has to be cleared through them. I read earlier this fall that they had a huge backlog, it sounded like it was much bigger than normal. I know that a lot of college football players around the country were not cleared to play until after practice started, they are usually pretty much done with fall sports before camps open up. That, plus the fact that Sharkova is from overseas which can make getting records more difficult, may have contributed to the problem. It is always better to be safe than sorry in these cases.