Blood

Malone

Skirmish

Waiting Patiently

Anderson

Trupper

My kids checking out Fienhage

LaPointe

Now I would be remiss if I didn't share a little story with you. We sat next to the tunnel where the players enter and exit the locker room, and the kids would hold out their hand for high fives from the players. Brad Malone must be a bit of a softy, as he went out of his way, tapping his stick on the railing and giving high fives to my daughter...she's only two and has been saying "hockey high five! hockey high five!" ever since! When the game was over, once again the players headed to the locker room victorious. Chay gave the kids high fives and they were full of smiles. After a few seconds he reemerged from the locker room with his stick, and handed it to my son Will, and said "thanks for coming!" What an awesome gesture he will always remember!

Will

That s a great story, how is your little guy doing?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Brad's blog he says he flew to houghton, I didn't think there were any airports there and that is why the team buses?

I seem to recall, for football, at least, a trip needs to be more than 500 miles to allow a flight instead of a bus trip. The distance from Grand Forks to Houghton is 477 miles.

A few years ago when the football team played at Michigan Tech in the playoffs, they asked the NCAA if they could fly instead because it was a playoff game, and they were allowed to do so.

I'm not sure if the same rules apply to hockey, though.

Bunch of pics from tonights game.

Bench

End of game

LaPoint

Malone

Blood

Malone

Skirmish

Waiting Patiently

Anderson

Trupper

My kids checking out Fienhage

LaPointe

Now I would be remiss if I didn't share a little story with you. We sat next to the tunnel where the players enter and exit the locker room, and the kids would hold out their hand for high fives from the players. Brad Malone must be a bit of a softy, as he went out of his way, tapping his stick on the railing and giving high fives to my daughter...she's only two and has been saying "hockey high five! hockey high five!" ever since! When the game was over, once again the players headed to the locker room victorious. Chay gave the kids high fives and they were full of smiles. After a few seconds he reemerged from the locker room with his stick, and handed it to my son Will, and said "thanks for coming!" What an awesome gesture he will always remember!

Will

Ok, Bob, I can't figure it out -- I see that the individual photos are hosted on flickr, but can't find a set for these specific photos. You probably already know my goal, but I'm trying to come up with a URL that links to the set. Thanks for posting them!

Ok, Bob, I can't figure it out -- I see that the individual photos are hosted on flickr, but can't find a set for these specific photos. You probably already know my goal, but I'm trying to come up with a URL that links to the set. Thanks for posting them!

These pics are mixed in with my photostream (which includes family pics, etc), so rather than post that link and forcing everyone to see pics of my kids with birthday cake smeared all over their face, I just post the links to each picture. I could have embeded them in the post too, but I thought that may slow thing down for those with slower connections. I think there may be a way to create a gallery on Flickr, but I haven't looked into that yet...I'll do that if I get it figured out.

In the meantime, here's a few more.

Handshake

Face-Off

Rejected!

For Andrea

Scoreboard

Umm...not sure.....

Less than a minute to go, up 4-1, and Mac and Kristo are still going full throttle love it!

Blood giving my daughter a smile

Cool! (outfits courtesy Sioux-CIA--Thanks!!)

I seem to recall, for football, at least, a trip needs to be more than 500 miles to allow a flight instead of a bus trip. The distance from Grand Forks to Houghton is 477 miles.

A few years ago when the football team played at Michigan Tech in the playoffs, they asked the NCAA if they could fly instead because it was a playoff game, and they were allowed to do so.

I'm not sure if the same rules apply to hockey, though.

I don't think any of that matters for regular season. They always use this trip as a bonding experience. IIRC they used to take two days to get there.

I don't think any of that matters for regular season. They always use this trip as a bonding experience. IIRC they used to take two days to get there.

They still do. They leave about 6 on Wednesday evening and drive to Duluth. Then they drive the rest of the way on Thursday and practice in Houghton.

Here's a couple more from one of Toews goals, not very good quality shooting through the glass, but the smiles are nice anyway.

Thank you so much for sharing your photos! I try as hard as I can at games to get good quality photos and I fail miserably every time! A better camera would help, and the ability to take good pictures!

Tell Will that the stick is awesome and I am glad that he is doing better!

Hey now there is nothing wrong with the put puts lots of us from the U fly those

Nope, nothing wrong with them. I just wish the one I was scheduled to fly out of Hancock on Sunday actually did fly out of Hancock. :)

Maybe you can answer a question for me> why aren't the planes checked out after they land when they aren't flying out until the next morning? Everytime I've had a flight delayed or cancelled, it has always been the first scheduled flight out and the problem was found after we were all on board!

Nope, nothing wrong with them. I just wish the one I was scheduled to fly out of Hancock on Sunday actually did fly out of Hancock. :)

Maybe you can answer a question for me> why aren't the planes checked out after they land when they aren't flying out until the next morning? Everytime I've had a flight delayed or cancelled, it has always been the first scheduled flight out and the problem was found after we were all on board!

i would be willing to bet that most of the time, you are never actually given the true reason a flight is cancelled. i mean is there really that many "mechanical issues" with planes? if so, very scary. i had a flight out of fargo cancel on me once due to "mechanical issues" which pushed me back to the next day of course, and completely messed with my travel plans, as i am sure most cancelled flights do. i noticed as i was in line to get my information about the following flight, that there were very few other people scheduled for that flight. my guess is they didn't want to send a plane with a handful of people to mpls, then send it back the next day for another barely full flight the next day... just combine the two, get the same fares and half the fuel. and like you, did not offer us or the others vouchers or other compensation (although after an email from my wife did end up getting some vouchers), and since we live in the area didn't need hotel, which im not sure they would have covered. i feel your frustration, i really hate airline travel.

I don't know anything about airplanes, but I know a little bit about machinery and sound equipment. Equipment should be checked out every time it's used because problems often show up when it is first started or turned on. For instance, a sound check needs to be done every time you turn the equipment on. It may have been working perfectly at the end of a performance last night, and no one has touched it since, but that is not a guarantee that it will work correctly when it is turned on this time. I have seen mics not work, processors fry, speaker problems and more develop over night. Electricity will sometimes flow over a bad connection if the flow is continuous, but will not make that jump when it needs to make that initial jump. The stress of starting cold engines will often reveal a weak link and cause a breakdown. If a problem is going to happen on an airplane, I would rather have them find it while we are on the ground than have it happen when we are in the air. But I understand your frustration, I have been on my share of planes that had problems that caused either delays or cancellations.

Vegas_Sioux says because morning maintenance tests, do them once a day and it is always before first flight in the morning. Sorry, I know him and I asked him really quick for you in case he didn't see this before it got buried with other posts.

i would be willing to bet that most of the time, you are never actually given the true reason a flight is cancelled. i mean is there really that many "mechanical issues" with planes? if so, very scary. i had a flight out of fargo cancel on me once due to "mechanical issues" which pushed me back to the next day of course, and completely messed with my travel plans, as i am sure most cancelled flights do. i noticed as i was in line to get my information about the following flight, that there were very few other people scheduled for that flight. my guess is they didn't want to send a plane with a handful of people to mpls, then send it back the next day for another barely full flight the next day... just combine the two, get the same fares and half the fuel. and like you, did not offer us or the others vouchers or other compensation (although after an email from my wife did end up getting some vouchers), and since we live in the area didn't need hotel, which im not sure they would have covered. i feel your frustration, i really hate airline travel.

I doubt that the plane sat at that airport for a full day without being used. Most airplanes make several flights in a day. An airplane starting in Grand Forks in the morning will go to Minneapolis, then on to 1 or more other destinations that day. The airlines don't have enough planes to have 1 for each flight.

I think that airlines are very careful about flying safe aircraft, so even minor mechanical problems can delay or cancel a flight. Even problems that don't affect the flight worthiness of the plane. But there are a lot of other reasons flights are canceled, and sometimes you don't get the whole story. Weather problems can delay flights of course, but it doesn't always mean a weather problem where you are. A weather delay anyplace that airplane flies during the day can cause problems for the rest of the day, and sometimes for multiple days. Crew problems also happen. I was stuck in Minneapolis on New Years Eve for more than 6 hours one year because they couldn't get a crew in Boston to fly the plane to Minneapolis. And when they did finally get the plane to Minneapolis, we still couldn't leave because that crew was at their hour flight limit so they had to find a 2nd replacement crew. The only reason I found out the whole story was because I spent some time talking to the attendant at the gate. So you're right, mechanical problems aren't the only reason flights are delayed or canceled, but I would bet that they make up a majority of the cancellations.