SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux name in trouble again

darell1976

The dates that matter are in the legal agreement between the State and the NCAA.

Dates before those are milestones to keep the process moving forward (as long as the effort is warranted).

Technically, yes.

Practically? You really think if the SBoHE gets fed up with the SR's feet dragging and says "enough is enough, nickname is done" and the SR shows up 4 months later saying "we finally got around to having a vote and we agree to support the nickname" that the SBoHE is going to just say "oh ok"?

No, they're going to say "tough sh*t, maybe you should've got your as*es in gear 4 months ago if this meant something to you!". And that's what they should say.

Why is SR treating this like a re-zoning proposal? Is the nickname important to them or not? If yes, get your butts moving.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly the way I would have worded things but you are correct. Generally speaking, tribal governments do not act as quickly as fed, state and local governments. That said, we need to cut SR some slack on the deadline extension issue. There has been a total transformation in their tribal government. They need time to sort things out internally before going through with this issue. If they rush through this they will be susceptible to a lot of controversy in the future. I am fine with them taking their time and getting the job done right (getting the referendum on a ballot). Now that there is dialogue going on about a name referendum within the tribal council, the SBoHE should have no choice but to grant extensions if requested by SR.

Is the nickname important to them or not?

They need to get the butts in gear. Send up a smoke signal if that's what they have to do. The world does not revolve around the native American calendar.

The new council has been in place less than a month.

I'm sure they have open items and to-do lists that include items beyond this.

Then the nickname is not that important to them.

I see no reason to give them any more extensions beyond Nov 30th. Maybe that will light a fire under their rears.

Is the nickname important to them or not?

They need to get the butts in gear. Send up a smoke signal if that's what they have to do. The world does not revolve around the native American calendar.

Their world revolves around their calendar, I'm sure there are other things on their to do list. Smoke signals? Seriously?

I see no reason to give them any more extensions beyond Nov 30th. Maybe that will light a fire under their rears.

Us nickname supporters bennefit from the extensions genius. Without them the name would be gone Saturday...or at the last deadline. The dates with the NCAA are the real deadlines. They need time to figure it out, give it to them.

Their world revolves around their calendar, I'm sure there are other things on their to do list. Smoke signals? Seriously?

The only people(s) I've met that do things on their own "time" more so than NAs are Hawaiians! This issue in SR will not get resolved by Nov. 30.

The only people(s) I've met that do things on their own "time" more so than NAs are Hawaiians! This issue in SR will not get resolved by Nov. 30.

Not resolved now and not resolved Nov 30th what's the difference? Is October 31st somehow a better day for this to not be resolved and end? At least if there are extensions the name has a chance.

Us nickname supporters bennefit from the extensions genius. Without them the name would be gone Saturday...or at the last deadline. The dates with the NCAA are the real deadlines. They need time to figure it out, give it to them.

I don't think you could put MplsBison in the nickname supporter section. You are correct Awesome, the NCAA is the real deadline.

Why not push it back until the end of the year??

Lets say meeting on Nov. 10 goes well and they schedule a tribal vote, you think that is going to get done by Nov. 30th? Unlikely.

The SBoHE continues to make this process more complicated than it needs to be. Give SR some time, stay out of their way and let the chips fall where they may with them. But continually moving the deadline makes the SBoHE look more incompentent than they already are!

Only thing I can think of is that the SBoHE is trying to speed things up and get them to commit to something a vote or not to have a vote.

Maybe you should not worry about it and let the University of North Dakota worry about it. It's not a Bison fan's concern.

I still think the Alumni Association ought to simply write a $1,000,000 check to each tribe and get the deal(s) done. 30-year contract in return for the money.

There, I said it.

:D How dare we try to pay them off...but I'm in total agreement! :lol:

I still think the Alumni Association ought to simply write a $1,000,000 check to each tribe and get the deal(s) done. 30-year contract in return for the money.

There, I said it.

I see no harm in compensation being involved. But it needs to be a continuing financial relationship and not a one-time payment. A percentage of Sioux merchandise would virtually ensure that no future tribal council would revoke permission. And it would establish a win-win situation between the University and the tribes.

From the article:

I still can't believe I'm reading this. The nickname was dead. Deader than a doornail. Then the referendum at Spirit Lake happens and the name is literally brought back from the dead.

All the people of Standing Rock have to do is organize a damned vote and then vote to support the nickname. Yet, even with a new, pro-nickname tribal chairman and tribal council, they're still putzing around like they have until 2015 to get things changed.

If I'm on the SBoHE and I read that...I'm not encouraged that this is going anywhere....

Come on now...how much time do you need to either poop or get off the pot? Does the nickname mean something to you or not?

From what I've read around here, in Standing Rock they can't just decide to hold a referendum forced by a petition of the people. Sounds like the Tribal Council needs to decide to hold the referendum and if the council doesn't want to do that, they don't have to do that. So it might not be as easy to get done as we'd like or hope.

They shouldn't get unlimited time to "figure it out". That would just be delaying the inevitable.

They should get the Nov 30th extention...but they had better be prepared to show that they've done something in order to warrant any further extensions. Not just talk about talk of doing something.

I see no harm in compensation being involved. But it needs to be a continuing financial relationship and not a one-time payment. A percentage of Sioux merchandise would virtually ensure that no future tribal council would revoke permission. And it would establish a win-win situation between the University and the tribes.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The tribes would be stupid not to take a cut off any merchandise that has their logo on it.

How bitter towards the US government does a tribe have to be to make a point?

From what I've read around here, in Standing Rock they can't just decide to hold a referendum forced by a petition of the people. Sounds like the Tribal Council needs to decide to hold the referendum and if the council doesn't want to do that, they don't have to do that. So it might not be as easy to get done as we'd like or hope.

Should the SR tribal council get unlimited time to sit around a campfire and talk about talking to maybe support the nickname, in some form?

Sorry it's not the 1500s anymore. We move faster today, including deadlines.

Make a decision.

From what I've read, they don't have a referendum process in their government. The Tribal Council makes all decisions. I don't think they have ever had a referendum or public vote on an issue at Standing Rock. No one seems to know if there are enough votes on the Council to allow a vote. Past Council votes on the issue were not unanimous, but were strongly against the nickname. We don't know if enough Council members changed during the election, or changed their minds, to allow a vote. Only a meeting of the Council will answer that question and tell us if the nickname has a chance or not.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The tribes would be stupid not to take a cut off any merchandise that has their logo on it.

How bitter towards the US government does a tribe have to be to make a point?

There is a significant sized group that is opposed to accepting payment or "selling out". I don't know if it is large enough to prevent a deal.

Nickname supporters should just be thankful the name is still alive, Standing Rock will eventually get to it. State Board will look silly if they adhere to the deadlines

they prematurely set. The one that matters is the lawsuit. MLSBison don't pretend that the white man's political world moves all that much faster than that of the tribes.

Check out the Health Care debates in Washington, that's moving really swift isn't it...