SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux name in trouble again

darell1976

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't get too worried yet. KVLY news at 10:00 had a quote from Mr. Murphy stating "We are well aware of the dates" and "Something could happen by the end of the week." Not exact quotes, but you get the idea. Just need to be patient...I'm sure we will hear something, one way or the other, fairly soon.

EDIT: Actually I guess these quotes were pretty much right on. Here is a link to the KVLY update...

http://www.valleynewslive.tv/artman2/publi...ews/14331.shtml

yeah, Jesse Taken Alive was the person speaking on WDAZ last night, a long time nickname opponent. The State Board of higher Ed should never have set

the stupid ass deadlines, they are going to extend them whether the Standing Rock Tribe asks or not. The Board members are spineless and don't want to be

the people that let the minority of the minority win out. The numbers in a standing rock vote will mirror spirit lake, and the opponents there will continue to whine just like

Erich Longie is at Spirit Lake. He suffered so much while attending UND that he stuck around and got three degrees. His interest in the nickname is keeping his own name

in news and his face on tv.

yeah, Jesse Taken Alive was the person speaking on WDAZ last night, a long time nickname opponent. The State Board of higher Ed should never have set

the stupid ass deadlines, they are going to extend them whether the Standing Rock Tribe asks or not. The Board members are spineless and don't want to be

the people that let the minority of the minority win out. The numbers in a standing rock vote will mirror spirit lake, and the opponents there will continue to whine just like

Erich Longie is at Spirit Lake. He suffered so much while attending UND that he stuck around and got three degrees. His interest in the nickname is keeping his own name

in news and his face on tv.

I'm not sure I agree fully with this.

The State Board IS spineless or it wouldn't have set a deadline in the first place. I think they have no problem letting the minority dictate policy. Most hardcore liberals don't mind it.

Why? Because they want to make everyone happy.... you know the song: Dream the Impossible Dream? Yeah, well, they live that.

It's also called a Pipe Dream, a false hope, or most accurately living with bulls**t for brains.

Those who aren't as far left as these buffoons (and not all Democrats are liberals) realize that there is no such world where everyone is being happy. So, you cater to the majority. In this case, votes are taken and the minority can learn to live with the results any way they can.

I agree with that, but would like to continue with my comments on Erich Longie, Ron His Horse Is Thunder, Leigh Jennotte, Jesse Taken Alive, and the rest of the minority of the minority. These individuals are never in the spotlight for anything other than their opposition to the nickname. It's like the balloon boy's father, they crave the attention, but it's never for the advancement of the native people, like a fight against poverty, alcoholism, teenage suicide, joblessness, diabetes, or lack of housing on the reservations. If getting rid of the nickname would have an impact on any of these areas, I would be all for it, but the day the nickname goes, these problems will still be

rampant on the reservations.

I'm not sure I agree fully with this.

The State Board IS spineless or it wouldn't have set a deadline in the first place. I think they have no problem letting the minority dictate policy. Most hardcore liberals don't mind it.

Why? Because they want to make everyone happy.... you know the song: Dream the Impossible Dream? Yeah, well, they live that.

It's also called a Pipe Dream, a false hope, or most accurately living with bulls**t for brains.

Those who aren't as far left as these buffoons (and not all Democrats are liberals) realize that there is no such world where everyone is being happy. So, you cater to the majority. In this case, votes are taken and the minority can learn to live with the results any way they can.

I agree in the case of the Sioux nickname, if the majority on the reservations support the nickname then the tribal councils should support it and negotiations on 30 year contracts should be allowed to commence.

But, of course, then you swung totally to the opposite side of the spectrum and are way out of line by proclaiming that the majority can never be wrong and that the minority might be ignored in all cases.

Utterly ridiculous and I'm quite thankful we don't live in that world! Just imagine if the majority decided it would be best to bulldoze your house for the better good of the community so they could build a park, or something along those lines.

Minority and even individuals have rights that must be recognized for a proper society.

I agree in the case of the Sioux nickname, if the majority on the reservations support the nickname then the tribal councils should support it and negotiations on 30 year contracts should be allowed to commence.

But, of course, then you swung totally to the opposite side of the spectrum and are way out of line by proclaiming that the majority can never be wrong and that the minority might be ignored in all cases.

Utterly ridiculous and I'm quite thankful we don't live in that world! Just imagine if the majority decided it would be best to bulldoze your house for the better good of the community so they could build a park, or something along those lines.

Minority and even individuals have rights that must be recognized for a proper society.

Or, just imagine if the minority decided it would be best to bulldoze your house for the better good of the community so they could build a park, or something along those lines. Should we give the minority the say then?

I agree with that, but would like to continue with my comments on Erich Longie, Ron His Horse Is Thunder, Leigh Jennotte, Jesse Taken Alive, and the rest of the minority of the minority. These individuals are never in the spotlight for anything other than their opposition to the nickname. It's like the balloon boy's father, they crave the attention, but it's never for the advancement of the native people, like a fight against poverty, alcoholism, teenage suicide, joblessness, diabetes, or lack of housing on the reservations. If getting rid of the nickname would have an impact on any of these areas, I would be all for it, but the day the nickname goes, these problems will still be

rampant on the reservations.

First, it would actually take some effort and hard work by those mentioned to make a true positive impact.

Second, it would require an understanding of the ACTUAL issues with their own people.

Third, it would require them to actually take some accountability for the actions of their own people.

Fourth, it's always more convenient to blame someone else for your ills.

You are right on the money with this post!

IMO, there is not a bigger fraud in this nickname issue than Leigh Jeannote. Even though he has been quiet lately, he is a complete and utter jack ass! I know this from personally dealing with him. He is vindictive and an out-right hate monger towards anyone who is pro-nickname!

Or, just imagine if the minority decided it would be best to bulldoze your house for the better good of the community so they could build a park, or something along those lines. Should we give the minority the say then?

In both cases, the individual's right to ownership of the property is more important than either the majority or minority's wishes, IMO.

The collusion between the SBoHE and UND flows right along with your comments. The irony is that the liberal administration at UND wants to change the name, and ultimately the tribes will be fighting to retain it.

I'm sort of out of the loop because of where I live, has anyone heard anything new about the Standing Rock situation in the last week or so?

There was supposed to be something by the end of last week, but I have not seen anything in the Forum. I'm sure someone will post any new info on this board.

I wouldn't get too worried yet. KVLY news at 10:00 had a quote from Mr. Murphy stating "We are well aware of the dates" and "Something could happen by the end of the week." Not exact quotes, but you get the idea. Just need to be patient...I'm sure we will hear something, one way or the other, fairly soon.

EDIT: Actually I guess these quotes were pretty much right on. Here is a link to the KVLY update...

http://www.valleynewslive.tv/artman2/publi...ews/14331.shtml

boy for being well aware of the dates, there sure is no urgency as we have 4 days left. it sure is looking more and more like gloom and doom for us nickname supporters. I hope I am wrong though.

There was supposed to be something by the end of last week, but I have not seen anything in the Forum. I'm sure someone will post any new info on this board.

OK, thanks. I was thinking there was a push for some sort of guidance last week, but apparently this is going to go down to the wire.

I'll sit in the dark and wait with the rest of you.

It does appear as though it's going to go down to the wire. The only thing I've heard recently is that the AG has drafted a proposal for a resolution that they are going to ask the Spirit Lake Tribe to endorse. They took the resolution that Spirit Lake drafted and reworded it so that it's more friendly to non-tribal courts. According to news reports, the AG was going to present it to Spirit Lake during the middle of this week.

I would guess that if they are going through the work of drawing up this resolution, there may some indication that Standing Rock is going to address the issue soon. If Standing Rock isn't planning on acting soon, then why draft the proposed resolution. This is all speculation on my part by the way.

Nice avatar Jodcon :ohmy:

EDIT: It appears as thought Standing Rock is gonna ask for a month extension at tomorrow's meeting...

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/480/

It does appear as though it's going to go down to the wire. The only thing I've heard recently is that the AG has drafted a proposal for a resolution that they are going to ask the Spirit Lake Tribe to endorse. They took the resolution that Spirit Lake drafted and reworded it so that it's more friendly to non-tribal courts. According to news reports, the AG was going to present it to Spirit Lake during the middle of this week.

I would guess that if they are going through the work of drawing up this resolution, there may some indication that Standing Rock is going to address the issue soon. If Standing Rock isn't planning on acting soon, then why draft the proposed resolution. This is all speculation on my part by the way.

Nice avatar Jodcon :ohmy:

EDIT: It appears as thought Standing Rock is gonna ask for a month extension at tomorrow's meeting...

http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/480/

Well, at least we know they are on top of it, I figured they were going to be pressed for time the way the timetable was set up.

I'm curious as to what the reaction would be by this board if the request is denied and the SBoHE orders UND to start retiring the nickname in Nov?

I honestly could see that happening. Seems like the tribes have had a loooooong time to get their stuff together and this issue needs to be resolved one way or another.

I'm curious as to what the reaction would be by this board if the request is denied and the SBoHE orders UND to start retiring the nickname in Nov?

I honestly could see that happening. Seems like the tribes have had a loooooong time to get their stuff together and this issue needs to be resolved one way or another.

And you are suprised by this in what way? :D