SiouxSports.com Forum

Jason Smith

Ray77

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck is the deal with Gopher fans putting Sioux fans into the hospital (or worse!), and in Grand Forks no less.

The maroon-clad ones are making it very clear who the backward, ignorant, uncivil, uncultured, violent hicks are.

May all of that ilk find that their cellmate is willing to trade them for half a pack of smokes.

What the heck is the deal with Gopher fans putting Sioux fans into the hospital (or worse!), and in Grand Forks no less.

The maroon-clad ones are making it very clear who the backward, ignorant, uncivil, uncultured, violent hicks are.

May all of that ilk find that their cellmate is willing to trade them for half a pack of smokes.

Fact Check!!! Straight from the herald!!

Chwialkowski (pronounced

It's not just Gopher fans in this deal. But wow, it goes to show when you make a bad decision that it could be detrimental. I think back to 5-7 years ago and going to the final five and our group was the one chirping to Gopher fans. Shoot, in the bars was worse. I'm sure allot of people know Jason and Friday since he's from Forks and Friday was not a good night....our thought and prayers go out to him.

But for anyone to blame Gopher fans for this is mistaken. This is clearly a bad decision that many will regret. This can and will happen to ever passionate fan base of sports. And then add alcohol.

It certainly comes from both sides.

That said:

I was at a local establishment on saturday, and before the game 1 drunk gopher fan was mouthing off to a large group of sioux fans. All it would have taken was for one of these guys to snap, and this young man could have been seriously hurt, and someone could have been in jail. Again, after the game, another single gopher fan was being very very mouthy (about non hockey things, think "hick comments") this guy had a group of 10 guys watching him and wanting to get him, but cooler heads prevailed.

Maybe it is my older age, but I see crap like this and just have to shake my head.

Get well soon Jason Smith.

Five or six years ago I was at a Sioux-Goofers game in minneapolis and the Sioux lost and I was I walking out of the arena and goofer fans pushed me down and I almost hit my head on the cement stairs and the yelled at me that the "Sioux F'ing suck", I looked at him very calmly and said "You guys won".

I hate dealing with goofer fans that have earned a bad reputation and they deserve it.

Five or six years ago I was at a Sioux-Goofers game in minneapolis and the Sioux lost and I was I walking out of the arena and goofer fans pushed me down and I almost hit my head on the cement stairs and the yelled at me that the "Sioux F'ing suck", I looked at him very calmly and said "You guys won".

I hate dealing with goofer fans that have earned a bad reputation and they deserve it.

It goes both ways, both schools have fans we would like to discard. I've been threatened many times up in Grand Forks myself but it's just not worth getting into trouble over.

There is no excuse here, but I would hope that it would make fans take a close look at their behavior when it comes to getting into people's faces. I witnessed Sioux fans that were getting in gopher fans faces who were just trying to have a conversation with each other between periods. I was ready to confront those idiots myself. Fans like that make it hard for Sioux fans who make the return trip to Minneapolis, because many fans look at it as a chance to get even. Grow up!

If you are talking about the X at the Final Five, I 100% agree with you.

Yeah one time was at the "X" and another time after the Holy Cross game at the Ralph. This drunk whinny gopher skippy comes up to me and says, "we would have won." I said give it a rest. He repeated his comment, "we would have won." I said come on Skippy (I said this) the team is on the bus, on the way home already.

Very unfortunate, my wishes to Jason Smith and his family.

FHG is right, every team has fans that should be discarded. I don't think it is fair to lump one incident as a representation of an entire fanbase. That is ludicrous but it is often done anyways. ;)

And while some of you share your bad experiences with Gopher fans I'll give a positive. I've been to two UND//UMN series at the Mariucci. Both times I had a great and pleasant time(albeit could be due to the Sioux sweeping one year and then taking 3 of 4 points). I had very good discussions with the Gopher fans I talked to. Of course there was the occasional exchange of razzing but that was it.

Only time I did have a problem when I was there dealt with college students. And personally, they can be lumped cause most of them are d-bags. :D

There is no excuse here, but I would hope that it would make fans take a close look at their behavior when it comes to getting into people's faces. I witnessed Sioux fans that were getting in gopher fans faces who were just trying to have a conversation with each other between periods. I was ready to confront those idiots myself. Fans like that make it hard for Sioux fans who make the return trip to Minneapolis, because many fans look at it as a chance to get even. Grow up!

That is exactly it. Once you have been on a few road trips, you develop an appreciation for fans who come into hostile territory. You go on the road, you don't mouth off, you shouldn't get messed with. If you are a fan in an opposing arena, and you are behaving, you will still get the occasional "you suck", but that should be about it.