SiouxSports.com Forum

2009/2010 Season

4siouxnow

Speaking of athleticism and women's basketball, I happened to catch about half of the SDSU-Oral Roberts Summit tournament championship game today, and it really didn't appear to me that SDSU (who won in OT) was especially athletic compared to what they were in their NCC days. They are a good solid team to be sure, but it's not like they're vastly superior to what they were 8-10 years ago IMO. If UND could somehow get back to where we were four or five years ago, I really think we would be a very solid mid-major dI team. Of course, that may be easier said than done.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate to say it but gunna be a few years before that happens again at least

i havent heard much about recruiting latel unlike the men where we hear a lot on who they are recuriting

we have potentially 5 scholarships to fill

4 sr.s leaving

sharpova not play is another one

possibly one from they players who quit too

Speaking of athleticism and women's basketball, I happened to catch about half of the SDSU-Oral Roberts Summit tournament championship game today, and it really didn't appear to me that SDSU (who won in OT) was especially athletic compared to what they were in their NCC days. They are a good solid team to be sure, but it's not like they're vastly superior to what they were 8-10 years ago IMO. If UND could somehow get back to where we were four or five years ago, I really think we would be a very solid mid-major dI team. Of course, that may be easier said than done.

Night and Day difference. One thing you can't tell watching on TV is the speed of the game. Also the strength of the women today is better and it's a lot rougher inside.

I watches the 2nd half of the Rabbit women game yesterday and it was really an ugly half of basketball. The lady for ORU who was the conferences top scorer really struggled. She was really forcing the action. She would either turn it over or have an offensive foul or miss an easy shot. She was really a head case by the end. SDSU had a nice lead but must of turned it over about 7 or 8 times down the stretch. A lot of the turnovers were on consecutive possessions. By the play in the 2nd half neither team deserved to win the game. Based on yesterday's game I don't think SDSU is anywhere as good as last year. It looked like 99% of the fans at the game were Rabbit fans. It is truly a home court advantage for SDSU.

ORU was the worst matchup for SDSU this year. For some reason, the Jacks got sloppy with ball handling this year, and ORU specializes in steals and swatting the ball away. It completely threw the Jacks off during both regular season matchups.

The Jacks have dropped more this year than you would have expected for what they lost(one key player), but the overall level of play in the Summit has improved quite a bit for just a single year. Last year, the Summit was horrible in WBB(how else could the Bison have finished third - no matter how much they played over their abilities). This year it was okay; not great, but okay. It will be interesting to see if this was a one year wonder, or if this improvement will last. One thing you do have to say: The addition of the xDSUs(and the imminent addition of the UxDs) has created a major shakeup of the Summit and started an arms race in just about every sport. Assuming you guys get in, it will be interesting to see if you do the same in S&D.

hate to say it but gunna be a few years before that happens again at least

i havent heard much about recruiting latel unlike the men where we hear a lot on who they are recuriting

we have potentially 5 scholarships to fill

4 sr.s leaving

sharpova not play is another one

possibly one from they players who quit too

At this point, the following scholarships are spoken for:

1. Youngblut

2. Lof

3. Privatsky

4. Smart

5. Rothfusz

6. Kuehl

7. Houdek

8. Lauck (incoming freshman)

9. Wall (incoming freshman)

10.Buck (incoming freshman)

11.Burck (incoming freshman)

12.Evers (incoming freshman)

So assuming Sharkova won't be back, that would leave three scholarships to be filled, probably from the juco ranks since it's imperative we bring in some players who can contribute immediately.

Will Sioux qualify for WNIT with Conference championship. I know their RPI index is low but I pulled this from the WNIT rules:

Selecting Teams: Automatic Berths

Thirty-one (31) spots in the Postseason WNIT will be filled automatically by the best team available in each of the nation

Will Sioux qualify for WNIT with Conference championship. I know their RPI index is low but I pulled this from the WNIT rules:

Selecting Teams: Automatic Berths

Thirty-one (31) spots in the Postseason WNIT will be filled automatically by the best team available in each of the nation

I've been away from civilization for a few days, and was shocked to hear UND lost to Utah Valley in this GW tournament championship. I would have never imagined that was possible, although with no depth I suppose any game was losable if the wrong person got in foul trouble, which was apparently what happened yesterday since Ledger essentially had no backup.