SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

Bismarck Tribune

The $1.47 million mansion the North Dakota State University Development Foundation built for the school's president, Joseph Chapman, stands so far outside the values of people of the state it will become a grandiose symbol of excess and arrogance. And that it came in 60 percent over the $900,000 authorized by the Legislature clearly reveals the dysfunctional relationship between the university, chancellor's office and lawmakers.

After the fact, NDSU officials and the university's foundation expect the board of higher education, which meets today, and Legislature's Budget Section to rubber stamp the misguided and excessive spending because the house is up and Chapman has moved in. What can lawmakers or the board of higher education do? Turn Chapman out? Stiff building suppliers and contractors?

Despite no tax dollars being used in building the home, the unauthorized spending makes a mockery of legislative authority. It props up the president of NDSU in a lavish way that does not set well with average North Dakotans, a goodly number of whom graduated from NDSU.

A new home has been built for the president of the University of North Dakota. It's being done within its authorized limits. What does that tell us?
(Actually, it did have a 2% over run due to accounting code errors.)

The board of higher education needs to find a way to do more than slap NDSU on the wrist. If it doesn't lawmakers should be deeply disappointed and furious. There would then need to be a personal accounting by those involved in positions of authority, keeping in mind whatever recourse lawmakers take it ought not punish students or taxpayers.

No doubt President Chapman, before the next legislative session, will invite members of the board of higher education and legislators to his home for a reception with finger food and drinks. Maybe he'll convince them the $1.4 million was worth it. Good luck, but the majority of North Dakotans will never be convinced.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the third time, the cost of the NDSU president's house has moved up again. The cost is now $1.8 million, double the original estimate.

Seems like there are some rather P.O. peeps on the board and in the legislature.

Board chastises NDSU for costs relating to house

State Board of Higher Education members chastised the North Dakota State University for its president

You missed this bit:

That adds up to $188,000 over if you are going to include furniture in a construction budget for the schools - seems odd to include furniture in a construction budget though.

In UND's case, does "university funds" mean that the additional costs were paid for with tax money or did the writer mangle the story and actually mean "university foundation" funds? Anyway, if I recall correctly, UND didn't have a 500-year flood halt construction so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I wonder why the legislature capped spending at all on a privately-funded project that cost 1/100th as much as a hockey arena? I mean, the Ralph went more than $60 million over budget and I think the only criticism of UND's President wasn't that he didn't show enough gratitude.

Oh well, I have a feeling star2city's fondest wish is to see President Chapman fired - maybe this will help.

I understand it's difficult to see with all that pent-up bitterness but come on, Tony, take off the blinders. The original budgets, as I recall, were for $900,000 for construction costs and $100,000 for furnishings at both schools. By your accounting, we've got 8.8 percent over budget vs 80 percent. Accuse UND of poor budgeting if you will, although I doubt an 8.8% overage is uncommon in construction. But what is 80%?

Clearly Joe Chapman, as per the norm, thumbed his nose at the SBoHE and did whatever he pleased. The board now will fall in behind him. That's the kind of arrogance that keeps the county known as "Imperial Cass." Your VP for Finance had a classic answer a couple of weeks ago when this came up. One of the causes, he said, was that they hadn't decided on a house design before the budget was determined. :D .

Aside from willful disregard for direction, why does anyone care how much private money ol' Joe spends for his estate? Probably because the state will pick up the tab for maintenance in perpetuity. The Ralph? As I recall, UND was required to privately fund all upkeep before the state would accept the building.

Comparing Dr. Ego's mansion with the building of the Ralph Engelstad Arena leaves you with little or no credibility.

You missed this bit:

That adds up to $188,000 over if you are going to include furniture in a construction budget for the schools - seems odd to include furniture in a construction budget though.

In UND's case, does "university funds" mean that the additional costs were paid for with tax money or did the writer mangle the story and actually mean "university foundation" funds? Anyway, if I recall correctly, UND didn't have a 500-year flood halt construction so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I wonder why the legislature capped spending at all on a privately-funded project that cost 1/100th as much as a hockey arena? I mean, the Ralph went more than $60 million over budget and I think the only criticism of UND's President wasn't that he didn't show enough gratitude.

Oh well, I have a feeling star2city's fondest wish is to see President Chapman fired - maybe this will help.

I understand it's difficult to see with all that pent-up bitterness but come on, Tony, take off the blinders. The original budgets, as I recall, were for $900,000 for construction costs and $100,000 for furnishings at both schools. By your accounting, we've got 8.8 percent over budget vs 80 percent. Accuse UND of poor budgeting if you will, although I doubt an 8.8% overage is uncommon in construction. But what is 80%?

Hey, I'm actually pretty mellow towards UND since President Kupchella went away. That said, I do kind of rush to defend Chapman because he is an amazing college President, but if he bears the blame for cost overruns, he should feel it - perhaps through a pay cut.

So far, what I've seen is that NDSU's construction, site prep, and furnishing totals up to $1.8 million. UND's total cost, including site prep and furnishings, looks like it added up to $1.7 million because it was just disclosed that UND spent $500k on site prep and planning that was not included in this morning's stories.

I'll grant you this though: It turns out that both UND and NDSU spent a lot of STATE MONEY on furnishings. That is completely unacceptable and I would hope both development foundations would pledge to pay that back.

:D

You're projecting your greatest fear for your dear great leader.

Chapman won't lose his job over this: he's far too sly. One or more of his cabinet will get stabbed in the back so they fall on a sword instead. Chapman is no mere mortal. He runs the SBoHE.

Hey, I'm actually pretty mellow towards UND since President Kupchella went away. That said, I do kind of rush to defend Chapman because he is an amazing college President, but if he bears the blame for cost overruns, he should feel it - perhaps through a pay cut.

So far, what I've seen is that NDSU's construction, site prep, and furnishing totals up to $1.8 million. UND's total cost, including site prep and furnishings, looks like it added up to $1.7 million because it was just disclosed that UND spent $500k on site prep and planning that was not included in this morning's stories.

I'll grant you this though: It turns out that both UND and NDSU spent a lot of STATE MONEY on furnishings. That is completely unacceptable and I would hope both development foundations would pledge to pay that back.

I'd guess the overruns came because of the cryogenic chamber ol' "MUMMMY HANDS" needed to have installed to preserve his youth not to mention, as a old creeky vampire, the need to suck young peoples BLOOD to stay young and exploitive!:-)

Love ya Tony but GO BACK to b*sonville and ban us there - it's what you do best but C'MON.....the taxpayers of ND are being taken advantage of by the ego-maniac JERK who really doesn't give a crap ABOUT the state of North Dakota - he's just trying to suck us dry before be moves on to make MO' money elsewhere or die. Remember how the 'su students begged him to stay when he threatened to leave a couple years ago? FOR WHAT?:D? All we've got are higher bills for a house he "allowed" us to pay for and he's not happy with now?? I'm going to make "FU JOE! (ie MUMMY HANDS) T-shirts available very soon...seriously! The ND legislature needs to ask him some questions not just kow-tow to him because he's the "president" of ndsu

I'd guess the overruns came because of the cryogenic chamber ol' "MUMMMY HANDS" needed to have installed to preserve his youth not to mention, as a old creeky vampire, the need to suck young peoples BLOOD to stay young and exploitive!:-)

Love ya Tony but GO BACK to b*sonville and ban us there - it's what you do best but C'MON.....the taxpayers of ND are being taken advantage of by the ego-maniac JERK who really doesn't give a crap ABOUT the state of North Dakota - he's just trying to suck us dry before be moves on to make MO' money elsewhere or die. Remember how the 'su students begged him to stay when he threatened to leave a couple years ago? FOR WHAT?:D? All we've got are higher bills for a house he "allowed" us to pay for and he's not happy with now?? I'm going to make "FU JOE! (ie MUMMY HANDS) T-shirts available very soon...seriously! The ND legislature needs to ask him some questions not just kow-tow to him because he's the "president" of ndsu

Oh, I see, UND spending $1.7 million on their president's house is prudent and frugal, but NDSU spending $1.8 million is preposterous. Sounds like "your" house is made of glass so you might want to put down the rocks, sunshine. :)

BTW, you are banned on bisonville? I can't imagine why unless you were the fella who went after Ruley in a rather offensive way. That hardly seems possible because you appear to be a genuinely thoughtful person who could add a lot to a discussion, but unfortunately bisonville.com allows smack and I think you might find that too low brow.*

* This paragraph may contain sarcasm.

Oh, I see, UND spending $1.7 million on their president's house is prudent and frugal, but NDSU spending $1.8 million is preposterous. Sounds like "your" house is made of glass so you might want to put down the rocks, sunshine. :)

BTW, you are banned on bisonville? I can't imagine why unless you were the fella who went after Ruley in a rather offensive way. That hardly seems possible because you appear to be a genuinely thoughtful person who could add a lot to a discussion, but unfortunately bisonville.com allows smack and I think you might find that too low brow.*

Why would he do that??? We all know she plays for the same team! :D Would be a total waste of his time IMO.

Why would he do that??? We all know she plays for the same team! :D Would be a total waste of his time IMO.

"Plays for the same team?" I don't get it....OOOOH! You are saying that she is a LESBIAN... well, you didn't actually say it, you said "we all know" she is, didn't you? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is funny, funny stuff - you, sir, are a genuine wit!

Naw, the guy who got banned was considerably more crass than that. Sublime humor like yours is welcome anywhere.

Edit: "didn't actually saying"?

"Plays for the same team?" I don't get it....OOOOH! You are saying that she is a LESBIAN... well, you didn't actually saying it, you said "we all know" she is, didn't you? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is funny, funny stuff - you, sir, are a genuine wit!

Naw, the guy who got banned was considerably more crass than that. Sublime humor like yours is welcome anywhere.

You being a SU rube, I would have drawn you a picture but that probably would have gotten my banned from here!?

Oh, I see, UND spending $1.7 million on their president's house is prudent and frugal, but NDSU spending $1.8 million is preposterous. Sounds like "your" house is made of glass so you might want to put down the rocks, sunshine. :lol:

actually, the 1.7 million was on the house, the landscaping, and site preparation. The 1.8 million for NDSU's was the same thing.

If you want the cost of the house and the house alone, it ran UND - $922,700 and NDSU - $1.47 million.

The explanation for UND running over budget was this

A clearer explanation for the cost overruns will have to wait until the board

actually, the 1.7 million was on the house, the landscaping, and site preparation. The 1.8 million for NDSU's was the same thing.

If you want the cost of the house and the house alone, it ran UND - $922,700 and NDSU - $1.47 million.

The explanation for UND running over budget was this

so, part of the costs was not for just the president's house, but also for the future Alumni Center. This does not excuse UND for not asking for permission, they should have and should bear the consequences of doing so. However, what is NDSU's explanation?

So UND's excuse is, "We spent $500,000 on site prep but that doesn't really count because part of that was for work on a project that doesn't even have authorization, much less a dollar limit." Using that logic, NDSU can just say, "Well, the $500,000 are for additions to the house - a totally separate project that has not yet been approved."

I don't know what NDSU's excuse is going to be for their cost overruns but it would seem fair to say that NDSU's house cost $1.8 million and UND's cost $1.45 million with another $226,000 for a related, unauthorized project. So NDSU's cost of construction was 82% of the total bill while UND's cost of construction was a mere 62% of the total project cost (or 53% of the total if you count that full $506k of "site prep"). Maybe NDSU should review their totals and slide some items into "Site Prep."

So UND's excuse is, "We spent $500,000 on site prep but that doesn't really count because part of that was for work on a project that doesn't even have authorization, much less a dollar limit." Using that logic, NDSU can just say, "Well, the $500,000 are for additions to the house - a totally separate project that has not yet been approved."

I don't know what NDSU's excuse is going to be for their cost overruns but it would seem fair to say that NDSU's house cost $1.8 million and UND's cost $1.45 million with another $226,000 for a related, unauthorized project. So NDSU's cost of construction was 82% of the total bill while UND's cost of construction was a mere 62% of the total project cost (or 53% of the total if you count that full $506k of "site prep"). Maybe NDSU should review their totals and slide some items into "Site Prep."

NO! Did you not read what I quoted? $500,000 on site prep that because the two buildings are going to be so close that had to be done at the same time. The Alumni Center is being funded by donations, I believe. UND admits that they made a mistake in not asking permission to do this. The other building is not additions to the presidents house. Which if you add additions while building a house, I don't believe they count as additions...they count as building the house. And again, the actual house did not cost 1.7 million...that was everything. If you are strictly talking the cost of the HOUSE, then UND spent $922,700 which is a lot less over budget than NDSU. Alice Brekke stated that $12,000 was miscoded...she was not in charge at the time that it was and did not know how that happened. She was going to check.